Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest MIND

Transferring everything over to a new OS?

Guest MIND

Is it possible to transfer everything (games,files, programs, pictures, data) from my Windows 7 OS to 10 when I get a physical copy of windows 10 in 2020 or do I loose everything?

It should give you the option to install while keeping all of your original files, possibly dumping them in a "Windows.old" folder.

I doubt upgrading from 7 to 10 formats your disk like the ancient windows OS's. Upgraded from 8 to 10 myself the other day and kept all my files without a problem.

Guest MIND
Vorpal said:

if you dont want windows 10 now, why would you want it in 2020?

When games/PC parts I like that require it come out.

MetroidJunkie said:

It should give you the option to install while keeping all of your original files, possibly dumping them in a "Windows.old" folder.

Even if I got a physical retail copy?

Physical or digital makes no difference, it installs the exact same way. It'll detect 7 on your system (I think the Windows file is what it detects) and it just shoves things like program files and document files into a Windows.old file along with the original Windows files, I guess so you can more easily revert if you need to.

I have a weird situation.  My brand new Epson printer software corrupted my files, in a Windows OS 10.  So, taking the computer to Staples, they retrograded me to a Windows OS 8.  In the process they wiped out my Doom1 and Doom2 engines.  I, luckily, discovered a disc yesterday that had both Doom1 and Doom2 on them.  Not to sound like a neophyte, but I can't figure out how to transfer these files from the disc to someplace on my computer.  I thought I could just click and drag, but nothing happens.  Any suggestions?

On 6/2/2016 at 10:39 AM, deadwolves said:

I doubt upgrading from 7 to 10 formats your disk like the ancient windows OS's.

Eh? Windows always has supported upgrades, even as far back as Windows 1/2/3.1 (although not so direct before 95 due to upgrade requirements of MSDOS at the time).