Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doohnibor

Playable Offline?

I'm soon upgrading to a new GPU and was patiently waiting to get the new Doom until the Upgrade is done.

Til now I successfully avoided as much spoilers as I can. but it's quite hard since even the names of the treads already give away quite a lot.

In an effort to avoid even more ingame info before I play the game I post this single question here instead of looking for the info in the forums.

Are there any restrictions in the PC version when it comes to an active internet connection?

- Do I need to be online to install the Game?
- Do I need to be online to start/play the Game?
- Do I need to be online in order to use Snapmap etc.?

Thanks

HellVain said:

No. Aside from multiplayer amd snapmap sharimg, It's all offline.

GREAT! Thanks for the info

Thats great you successfully hold your urge to watch all those spoilers *thumbs up

Hope you picked a monster of GPU to get the best experience of doom and enjoy every pixel of it :)

As Hellvain said, you can play SP offline, but i believe you need to run it the first time while connected to steam to unlock the game..

Doohnibor said:

I'm soon upgrading to a new GPU and was patiently waiting to get the new Doom until the Upgrade is done.

Til now I successfully avoided as much spoilers as I can. but it's quite hard since even the names of the treads already give away quite a lot.

In an effort to avoid even more ingame info before I play the game I post this single question here instead of looking for the info in the forums.

Are there any restrictions in the PC version when it comes to an active internet connection?

- Do I need to be online to install the Game?
- Do I need to be online to start/play the Game?
- Do I need to be online in order to use Snapmap etc.?

Thanks

PC version yeah, you have to be online to get the rest of game (as stupid as it sounds) other versions don't require you to be online to play campaign and snapmap thankfully unless you want the update and to play multiplayer.

NodEliteX5 said:

PC version yeah, you have to be online to get the rest of game (as stupid as it sounds) other versions don't require you to be online to play campaign and snapmap thankfully unless you want the update and to play multiplayer.

What are ypu talking about? I've been playing it offline in pc.

HellVain said:

What are ypu talking about? I've been playing it offline in pc.

I was referring to the disc versions not the digital versions. Doesn't the disc versions require you to be online to get the rest of the game data so you can play it? If not then I was misinformed.

NodEliteX5 said:

I was referring to the disc versions not the digital versions. Doesn't the disc versions require you to be online to get the rest of the game data so you can play it? If not then I was misinformed.

Ph, well i dont know much about the physical copies somaybe it does. Maybe it doesnt.

hey! glad to see your buying a new GPU and the game. heres some feedback from my RIG:

FX-8320
R9 390 8gb
SSD
Win 10X64
8 gb DDR3 ram

Runs like butter - FPS between 70 - 150 - Ultra nightmare settings - no texture popping or any weird shit

NO crashes or errors so far, mission 4 played, and Multiplaya (level 20) and snap map played also.

hope that info helps on your GPU desicions, i cant imagine my framerate when vulkan update came out

cheers!

HellVain said:
NodEliteX5 said:

Ph, well i dont know much about the physical copies somaybe it does. Maybe it doesnt.

Yup, the physical copy is a bad option cuz it's only one Double-Layer DVD disc which holds a max of 8.5GB of data, Doom weighs a hefty 43.8GB so you still need to download +35.3GB of the game if you buy a physical copy !

PS, before you play offline make sure you got it updated first, so you get dem crash reports in case of any..

umm.... glad I checked back ; )

so... about the gpu. I was thinking about getting the 1080gtx. I waited since I thought the performance jump since the last generation is supposed to be tremendous while cheaper at the same time.

It's available since a few days, but the price is about 200 bucks above what they said it would be. I guess I have to wait a few weeks.

Now back to the main question.
Seems like I need to clarify it a bit.

From what I've understood so far I need to download additional content If I get the Disk Version.
As long as I can download the required content on another machine I don't care.

I also could download the whole game.
Also no problem. As long as I can move the downloaded files to the machine I plan to play the game on can be offline I don't care.

So, what I'd like to know is...
Do I need to go online with the machine I play? Even if it's only once for a minute to register or whatever.

as long as im concerned i dontn recommend you DL the game into another machine and then tranfer the data, cause the game create a manifest and a dbdata with the specs of the machine before you play, if tyou transfer all teh data, the files get corrupted. i try that on a frineds home and all the game was fucked up, textures messed and more. we delete all the transfer and started the DL on the original machine, and problem was fixed. i recoommend you DL directly on the machine you are going to use

Best part of the game is a hidden impse minigame where you get to be the alpha male in a one man twelve imp orgy.

superreddevil said:

i recoommend you DL directly on the machine you are going to use

Thanks for the recommendation.... but how much more clear do I need to be?
Let's try it this way.

The machine I am planning to play the game on is offline and it won't go online - ever. Period
It's a development machine that is not connected to the internet. It doesn't have a firewall, virusscanner etc.

If it was an option to download the game on that machine I wouldn't need to ask this question : )

Can I install and run the game on this machine? ; )

Doohnibor said:

Thanks for the recommendation.... but how much more clear do I need to be?
Let's try it this way.

The machine I am planning to play the game on is offline and it won't go online - ever. Period
It's a development machine that is not connected to the internet. It doesn't have a firewall, virusscanner etc.

Can I install and run the game on this machine? ; )

No.

The game is larger than the disc you buy. Thus, the rest of the game has to be downloaded.

What you CAN do, is download the game on a different machine with internet access, move the steam folder to the "offline" machine. This works to prevent the download. I am not sure how you would handle it regarding the registration of your key, I never tried that/if it can be moved. You might have to google it.

It COULD be that the steam version on the disc carries a database with known key-solving algorithms with it to unlock your game if no internet access is available. I wouldn't count on it though (as in: I would bet quite some money against it).

Edit: you could install it on another machine in the intranet with internet access to register your key, and then stream it to the development machine. Then again, you could also PLAY it on the other machine!

Edit 2:

- Do I need to be online to install the Game? => YES
- Do I need to be online to start/play the Game? => NO
- Do I need to be online in order to use Snapmap etc.? => YES, if you want to share maps and if etc. means Multiplayer

tuo said:

I am not sure how you would handle it regarding the registration of your key, I never tried that/if it can be moved. You might have to google it.

Thank you.
I am not quite sure if I got this right... but I guess I don't need to google that.
If it would work that way, everyone could move around unlimited copies of the game to other machines and just firewall it in order to prevent a re-verification of the used key, right?

EDIT: Does the Disk need to be in the machine while playing? if that is the case then it might be possible that it works!!

I guess this turns into a support question. I probably will have to email them and ask. In case noone else already knows the answer of course ; )

Doohnibor said:

Thank you.
I am not quite sure if I got this right... but I guess I don't need to google that.
If it would work that way, everyone could move around unlimited copies of the game to other machines and just firewall it in order to prevent a re-verification of the used key, right?

EDIT: Does the Disk need to be in the machine while playing? if that is the case then it might be possible that it works!!

I guess this turns into a support question. I probably will have to email them and ask. In case noone else already knows the answer of course ; )

Regarding your first question: right! But esp. smaller companies (I wouldn't count steam or id into the mix) no longer regard machines not connected to the internet when it comes to registration and pure consumer products. I still think it won't work, but I have sold many hundreds if not thousands of professional software packages I developed which needed to be activated either via internet, or by calling our support, tell them a specific string (which also included a hash of some hardware snos), and we could tell simply tell them how to create a textfile to put in their application launch directory which would also be picked up by the registration process. Course not as secure as pure internet activation, but I sell software to computers which are also not allowed to have an internet connection. Is Doom such a software? I doubt it, but I never checked if Steam offers something similar.

The Disk does not need to be in the machine.

The idea regarding asking their support is actually the best of any we could give you here :)

superreddevil said:

as long as im concerned i dontn recommend you DL the game into another machine and then tranfer the data, cause the game create a manifest and a dbdata with the specs of the machine before you play, if tyou transfer all teh data, the files get corrupted. i try that on a frineds home and all the game was fucked up, textures messed and more. we delete all the transfer and started the DL on the original machine, and problem was fixed. i recoommend you DL directly on the machine you are going to use

You shouldn't transfer the downloaded contents, you should make a backup through steam then transfer that backup...

I've downloaded the entire game in the office because -uhmm- a 65Mbps vs 2Mbps at home, never starting the game there, then make a backup through steam choosing "divide to 4.7GB option" and it devided Doom to 11x4.7GB folders ready to get burned on 11 regular Single-Layer DVD's, transfer this backup to my Gaming PC, start steam with the same account so yeah you must be online "steam asks to verify the new machine on first time", choose to install Doom from a backup then guide it to the location of the folders or the location of your DVD drive..

After finishing your installation start the game only one time to unlock it then the next time you can start steam in offline mode and play..

tuo said:

Edit: you could install it on another machine in the intranet with internet access to register your key, and then stream it to the development machine. Then again, you could also PLAY it on the other machine!

You can't !
Steam must go online and connected to verify your account on the new machine detected, then unlocks the game on it after verification..

Doohnibor said:

Thank you.

Exactly..

MiNaM said:

You can't !
Steam must go online and connected to verify your account on the new machine detected, then unlocks the game on it after verification..

Even if streaming in the same intranet???

tuo said:

If you're on the same physical network, you have the same internet connection. That post made little sense.

Edward850 said:

If you're on the same physical network, you have the same internet connection. That post made little sense.

Sorry Edward, but your post is completely false. You make some very interesting posts regarding technology which I love reading, but this one...it wasn't one of them.

Uhh, what? Let's think about this one logistically shell we?

• If you are on the same gateway, you automatically have the same WAN.
  • If you are using a 3G modem of some sorts, you can bridge this to any network adapter. Windows makes this literally a two click process.
  • Phone tethering is the same as the above, as either wifi or USB are still physical network adapters.
  • You can even bridge dial-up connections, as they also show up as network adapters. (Granted 56k dial-up alone is too slow for Steam anyway and you have bigger problems to contend with first.)
I'm out of viable scenarios for household networks and configurations. No matter what, you can always access the same network from 2+ networked computers in a household.

Edward850 said:

Uhh, what? Let's think about this one logistically shell we?

• If you are on the same gateway, you automatically have the same WAN.
  • If you are using a 3G modem of some sorts, you can bridge this to any network adapter. Windows makes this literally a two click process.
  • Phone tethering is the same as the above, as either wifi or USB are still physical network adapters.
  • You can even bridge dial-up connections, as they also show up as network adapters.
I'm out of viable scenarios for standard household networks.

Where are we talking about household networks? And even WITH household networks, even the most basic router allows you to cut a specific MAC (and IP)-address off the internet.

I won't even go into more complex routing, firewalls, subnets, proxies, NAT.

Your post was wrong, period. No hard feelings, but your post was simply, completely wrong, even in a household network, as a general assumption. If you don't know how to keep a machine in your household off the net while beeing able to interact with the intranet, you shouldn't make such claims.

You know, you can't just say someone is wrong without actually explaining it.
Either way, from all my time servicing computers and networks, I have never once found a computer I couldn't attach to a WAN, even with my infamous 3-virtual-laptop-gateway-VPN kludge. Where you only seem to be finding problems, I will always find a solution.

tuo said:

Only if he can log in to his steam account and allow them to access & detect his machine..

It's a bit complicated on how the game unlock on your system but in simple words, the system must connect to the internet in order to be detected and verified by steam so that Denuvo will patch the game based on the detected processor with some code that will only work with this specific processor..

Full story here

MiNaM said:

It's a bit complicated on how the game unlock on your system but in simple words, the system must connect to the internet in order to be detected and verified by steam so that Denuvo will patch the game based on the detected processor with some code that will only work with this specific processor.

Denuvo does not need to touch anything related to the internet. It's anti-tamper tech, not DRM. You can just copy that EXE and it won't give a fuck.

Edward850 said:

You know, you can't just say someone is wrong without actually explaining it.
Either way, from all my time servicing computers and networks, I have never once found a computer I couldn't attach to a WAN. Where you only seem to be finding problems, I will always find a solution. :P

Okay, I will try, allthough I can only scratch on the surface. Actually, I am too tired to try and would kindly just say "you are wrong, everyone else who knows about networks knows you are wrong" and would go to bed, but a) you seem like a nice guy from what I red here b) I don't want to come around as a complete ass (quite easy over the internet) and c) I always believe in the term that learning something new is the best thing that can happen to you. It is actually quite a motto of my life, as I constantly want to expand my knowledge.

(everything said now is purely IPv4)
If you are on a local network, you are exactly that...on a local network. You have a local adress space, which is defined by you IP address and the subnet mask, so your NIC knows what it's address in the network is, and to whose packages he has to listen to (if a stupid hub instead of a switch managed your network). So you have a local group of IP addresses your computer listens to/communicates with.

If you want to communicate with the internet, you either must have a fixed IP address for each computer in your network (you won't be able to afford this, and IF you are able, you don't want this due to security reasons) OR you must have something that manages the communication between your local network - the intranet - and the outbound network, the wide area network, WAN, the internet.

So - at least - you have a box, a router, which communicates packages between your local network (with many ip adresses) and the internet (with limited, expensive addresses). It uses something called "Network Adress Translation", or NAT. It basically marks each package from the intranet with an ID, so that when it receives an answer, it knows where to send it on the intranet (as to the WAN, each intranet address is the same). So what happens here....you have a box...with software...that manages your network traffic. This box can also deny network traffic. You see? You can have a computer in your intranet that is able to talk to any other computer in the intranet, but cannot talk to the WAN, because the router says "nah, you're out".

This is a very, very, very, very, very simple situation. If you factor in firewalls, subnets, proxies...just read up on them.

You will soon come to the point that the general notion of "if you are on the same physical intranet, you have the same internet access" is completely wrong.

Now I go to bed.

That sounds entirely deliberate. Of course if you make your router blacklist traffic, then nothing will go through, you told it to do that. Do you have any more obvious statements? I'm talking about physical connections here, not self inflicted situations.

It sounds like you want to block a PC from a network here. I don't get the point in why you'd want to do that. That's just inventing problems.

Edward850 said:

That sounds entirely deliberate. Of course if you make your router blacklist traffic, then nothing will go through, you told it to do that. Do you have any more obvious statements? I'm talking about physical connections here, not self inflicted situations.

It sounds like you want to block a PC from a network here. I don't get the point in why you'd want to do that. That's just inventing problems.

Have you ever worked in larger companies, where certain computers are not allowed on the internet, because the risk is too large?

Or worked in companies where EVERY computer is only allowed to access certain IP addresses?

That's what this situation could be.

Heck, even in my own home network I exclude some machines from the internet to not hassle with security stuff (vintage machines, testing machines with outdated OS)

You stated something that was false (even if given context), you don't want to agree. Let's agree to disagree and not waste any more time.