Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Solid Plissken

I'm playing for the first time Blood (more or less)

I'm playing Blood CM, which is an attempt att recreating Blood in the EDuke32 engine. This is my first expirience with Blood and I think it's my favorite 90's FPS.
Cool easter eggs and references, unique weapon arsenal,(from pitchfork to a Energy cannon named after Nikolas Tesla) Badass anti-hero protagonist.
Currently I'm half-ways into Episode 2. I just finished the secret level.
What do you guys think about Original Blood and Blood CM? Any advice you can give me on the game?

The original blood is fucking amazing... gory as hell, dark/occult themes, the explosions are violent and it's hard!

My advice on Blood? Enjoy it. Enjoy the hell out of it. It's one of the best games I've ever played. Blow things up with dynamite, ignite them with flares, as has been mentioned play head-soccer, exert your evil will with a voo-doo doll.

I mean really Caleb is probably my favorite video-game character that actually has a personality. Duke was a little over-the-top super-machismo, Lo Wang was a little too pervy, Caleb was just a bad-ass through and through.

And the way he just laughs his ass off when things blow up.

My only advice is get Cryptic Passage if you don't have it. It's the more unique and interesting mapset/setting in my opinion.
(And bunny hop over the creepy crawlies when you're swarmed. You'll be harder to hit)

BloodCM is personally not my cup of tea, mainly because I played the original Blood so much that every little discrepancy in BloodCM, be it in the physics or the AI, just throws me off, so I stick with the GOG version myself. With that said, it is a pretty impressive attempt at recreating Blood in another engine and it's the only one that's ever been completed as far as I know. I highly recommend you also checking out the expansion packs, Crypt Passage and Plasma Pak.

They are from the same engine(Build engine), but Blood's source code was never released. So BloodCM's actors code is likely a result of observation of how the original actors behaved and probably some degree of guesswork.

A solid idea held back by some shoddy AI and a somewhat crippling difficulty bug.

Does anyone have an idea on how the Voo-Doo Doll works? It takes multiple stabs killing enemies with so I just blast them away with my Boom-stick or Thompson or Dynamite or Napalm launcher or Flare gun.

The Voodoo Doll is pretty strong actually, has infinite range and also aims automatically at the nearest enemy. Also, the alt-fire deals a lot of damage(kills most regular enemies) in your field of view, but also wastes all the ammo. It's more of a novel weapon if anything, but still, I recommend using it only on the stronger enemies or bosses(except Tchernobog, he's immune to magic).

Voodoo doll Alternate fire unleashes all the remaining power inside the voodoo doll, In most cases instant kill .

HorrorMovieGuy said:

I recommend using it only on the stronger enemies or bosses(except Tchernobog, he's immune to magic).

Tchernobog, and the Phantasms(The loud ghost things). Only bullets work on Phantasms for some reason. Your best bet is the Sawed off. It's the exact opposite for the stone gargoyles. The Voodoo Doll and Tesla Cannon work the best, compared to bullets and explosives.

Can anyone tell me what the hell the Beast Vision visors do? I've never seen them have any affect on gameplay whatsoever...

Blood is bloody fantastic. One of my most favourite games, actually. The atmosphere is just perfect. I particularly like the second episode, especially E2M5.
There's only one thing that ruins the game for me, and that's the Build engine's tendency to kill you with the map geometry. ;p Avoid getting in the way of doors and other moving bits of a map, you never know when you get squished.

Never played BloodCM so no idea about that. I stick to the real deal, I guess. Still got the original CD, though I've lost the box it came in.