Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mike800

Graphics problem with GZDoom 1.9.1 and 2.1.1

When launching Doom2 with GZDoom 1.9.1/2.1.1 it displays only part of the screen on the top left corner of the monitor.
I tried to change the resolution, but it worked only for the current launch.
Since I'm a windows xp user, I don't have the option to use the solution I came across on other sites: disabling display scaling on high DPI settings per file.
My graphics card is Nvidia GeForce GT 730.

Mike800 said:

I'm a windows xp user

Eww...

There are only a couple reasons why you should even be using XP (the vast majority of which do not require internet access) and playing Doom isn't one of them...

If you can't get either a new computer or a copy of windows as old as Windows 7, than at least replace your XP installation with a Linux distro...

You should try looking on the GZDoom forums for help. Note that you don't need to register in order to file a bug report, though don't be alarmed if your post doesn't immediately appear (they get to an approval waiting queue, the forum doesn't have much traffic so moderators and admins aren't checking in constantly but you shouldn't have to wait longer than a day anyway).

Since this is XP I don't think there's much that can be done about it. I neither have an XP system nor can the current development environment be made operational on XP.

In addition, the entire DPI scaling feature is very incomplete and basic on XP. Are you using the default 96 dpi or something different?

GZDoom reports to be DPI aware and on modern Windows versions certainly opens correctly.

Danfun64 said:

There are only a couple reasons why you should even be using XP (the vast majority of which do not require internet access) and playing Doom isn't one of them...

Ehm...ZDaemon? Access to a vast library of Win32 software that WILL run on Windows XP but not e.g. natively or acceptably under WINE in Linux?

Though the truth is that nowadays you can do much more in Linux than in the past, without necessarily being a 60-yo UNIX guru.

Then again, a computer that has a legit use for an NVidia Gefore GT 730 is probably beefy enough to run Windows 7...which is pretty much the Windows XP of our days ;-)

I don't have any problems with the latest GZDoom on Windows XP. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti. So maybe the cause is something else, dunno.

kuchitsu said:

I don't have any problems with the latest GZDoom on Windows XP.

... and neither do most users with more modern Windows systems. And yet, for some people strange things happen - and without having an in-depth look into what stuff they got installed this is a futile search for a cause. The one thing I am certain about is that it's some other piece of software that doesn't play by the rules and screws things up.

I regularly use GZDoom on an older Windows XP machine, and also experienced this problem when upgrading from 1.8.x to 1.9.x.
I was able to solve it by disabling visual themes in Compatibility options.
(Right click gzdoom.exe, choose properties, and in the compatibility tab choose "Disable visual themes")

This will make the game run using the Windows Classic theme, and the problem should go away. My guess is that any XP users that don't experience this problem are using Windows Classic.

Heh I practically forgot that XP had "visual themes" too.

Maes said:

Heh I practically forgot that XP had "visual themes" too.

I miss those, man. Shame Windows 8 all but drops support for them, and WindowBlinds is barely compatible with anything despite having existed for nearly two decades.

Visual themes became more integral, if anything. Windows 8 and 10 don't allow you to run without them (at least not without hacks to restore the classic theme). Plenty of uxtheme patches to go around to install custom ones on 8/10, too.