Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
julz_d

Reloading sp maps

I was wondering if there might be a better way to handle SP maps then many currently are. A lot of the maps when you lose makes you reload the entire map and this can take quite a long time in many instances. I just figured there had to be some better logic out there than putting up a splash screen says something like "you lose!" I can get impatient and it makes me not want to try to reload it.

I know that feeling. That's what made me scale back one of my maps due to load times during testing.
Don't know any solutions. :(

julz_d said:

I was wondering if there might be a better way to handle SP maps then many currently are. A lot of the maps when you lose makes you reload the entire map and this can take quite a long time in many instances. I just figured there had to be some better logic out there than putting up a splash screen says something like "you lose!" I can get impatient and it makes me not want to try to reload it.

Check mine out. They are either 12 lives or infinite lives and they have waypoints and checkpoints. 1plyr to 4 plyr coop campaign style. Search #cyberhell 5 maps total. I keep updating them as well.

I agree people need to realize their maps should play like commercials and be user friendly, not be a pain in the ass due to the fact you get a single life. There are thousands of levels to play I shouldn't have to be in your level more than I need to be.

zinkai said:

I know that feeling. That's what made me scale back one of my maps due to load times during testing.
Don't know any solutions. :(

Dont know what youre doing but I dont have a lives limit until I code one into my map. I always have infinite lives until I code a limit in.

Personally i don't like the infinite lives route. 1 life can be a bit extreme. Infinite lives just takes all challenge away and makes it feel so boring. Also if you grow tired of the level and quit, you get no reward. At least if you fail you get som3 snap points for what you did in it.

I've moved to mostly using checkpoints and reducing a player's score on death. I would like most people to play through my levels, but I also want to reward those who play them well. The compromise I've come up with is checkpoints and on death -> remove X points.

The best players will still be at the top of the leaderboards, and hopefully more people will play through the whole thing. I tried the limited lives on my basement map, but I think that was a mistake.

It's all a matter of opinion and taste i suppoze. Personally i get little enjoym3nt from a level that is no challenge to complete. Even if it's hard as hell if you have unlimited lives, it's just a case of sloggin' through it. I'd rather fail but get some snap points for trying and if it's good fun i will try again determined to get further next time.
My single player map only has 1 life at mo. But this was due to me already using up all the space available! I will need to make cuts to squeeze in a checkpoint system but i will make sure there are limited lives still.