Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zerthex

what about FreeQuake?

Posted (edited)

It's still very much work in progress though, most of the monsters are incomplete.

But they kept lovecraftian theme and it looks very promising already:

monsters_example.png

59 minutes ago, Ferk said:

Since nobody seems to have mentioned it, there's a more recent attempt at creating an openly licensed Quake asset replacement:

https://github.com/MissLav/LibreQuake

It already looks in better shape than its predecessors, and they showcase active developments on their discord channel.

About OQPlus: its website seems to have gone away btw, since mancubus.net is apparently gone.

This has caught my attention. Especially the weapons look sexy (they actually look much better than vanilla Quake's).

I was able to make LibreQuake run with some extra OQ assets (it still complains about missing sounds and stuff though), and indeed it looks very neat, and the weapons are spot on:

spasm0003.png

spasm0004.png

spasm0005.png

Posted (edited)

Well the reply on the OA forums was not encouraging though, seems leilei would rather the OQ+ stuff (etc) just fade into history, and I will respect that.

17 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

I was able to make LibreQuake run with some extra OQ assets (it still complains about missing sounds and stuff though), and indeed it looks very neat, and the weapons are spot on:

Nice. I'd be surprised if the LibreQuake people weren't already aware of OQ, but it looks like they're both GPL-licensed, so LibreQuake could legitimately impor the OQ resources if they wanted to.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Jon said:

but it looks like they're both GPL-licensed

LibreQuake is BSD licensed.

That would explain why I haven't seen any open-quartz textures or models in there.

P.S. forgot to say that I could run it in Darkplaces without any additional data using the following command:

darkplaces -customgamedirname1 lq1

Edited by andrewj

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, andrewj said:

Well the reply on the OA forums was not encouraging though, seems leilei would rather the OQ+ stuff (etc) just fade into history, and I will respect that.

Thanks for asking anyway! I suspected that this was the case, it's a shame to see the project go because I liked it, but leilei will probably never go back to it because of OA development. Others have found their own way, thankfully :)

2 hours ago, andrewj said:

P.S. forgot to say that I could run it in Darkplaces without any additional data using the following command:

darkplaces -customgamedirname1 lq1

Thanks!

BTW, I'm unable to access http://www.icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces, is it just me or what? UPD: Just me, 'cause I can still save live pages via the Wayback Machine.

The Xonotic engine can run it too (with the same command line), as it is basically the Darkplaces engine with a few improvements here and there.

Posted (edited)

Slightly off-topic (but still sorta relevant I guess), I mentioned testing Open Quartz data with the demo of X-Men: The Ravages of Apocalypse, and after you mentioned the -customgamedirname1 parameter in DarkPlaces (which I think is how I ran the OQ+ data back then) I tried this out with the same demo too (without any external data sets). With this I noticed that for some reason, Quakespasm overrides some of the sounds from the X-Men demo PAK file with Open Quartz sounds, such as what seems to be most sound effects of the enemies. Indeed the X-Men game appears to use some default Quake sounds such as door and elevator noises, but I thought that the sound effects of whatever custom game data should take precedence if not missing.

I run the demo with the command

quakespasm -game xmendemo %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 +map start

UPD: Nevermind, I was wrong, it simply plays the missing sounds, no overriding of base data here.

Edited by MrFlibble

Not sure if LibreQuake might get the protagonist's mug to be in the HUD instead of a retracting cross for what seems to look like a placeholder between that and the ammo box type that the ammo HUD was too. But I do like my angry looking protagonists in a box though. :P

Librequake is something I've been watching off and on. Their discord is somewhat regularly active.

On 6/1/2020 at 8:47 AM, andrewj said:

The Xonotic engine can run it too (with the same command line), as it is basically the Darkplaces engine with a few improvements here and there.

Realy? I had no idea. I'm going to have to check that out.