Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MistAche

The Tyrant's Abyss - Hell Map

Hi all,

I present to you 'The Tyrants Abyss' a single, large Hell map. Fight your way out of a fortress, across the chasm and descend into the abyss...

The map is currently still in Beta as I have completed 3/4 of it; I require some play through's by the community for testing. Has a temporary endgame line-def.

No varying difficulty yet - I imagine it will present a challenge to most Doomer's here.

Compatibility: GZdoom, Zdoom. Not tested in other ports. Supports mouse aim.

Influences: Dante's Inferno, Deus Vult, Green Herring's 'Year 23 - The Belly of the Beast', Wayne Barlowe & John Martin paintings (Pandemonium)

Credits: Eric "The Green Herring" Baker for condoning the use of resources he used by Eriance and the Gothic Deathmatches texture set.
Music: The Punisher PSX original game soundtrack (currently a place holder)
Early test play through: rdwpa, R. B
Will include a txt file on final release.

The map is a semi-slaughter with loads of infighting potential. Also makes for a good speed run. I've designed it to, although be linear in nature, quite open and interconnected with multiple strategies. Players can kite enemies back if they choose to... although it's possible (and probably more fun) to run and gun, circling hordes.

Screens:

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?3fv6r1q33b5r56z

Cheers folks.

Azuruish said:

Ehhhh... What a pity... Doesn't work in Prboom

Anything I can do to help Azur? you're a beast doomer, would be keen to see you give it a crack.

Make it playable in prboom for example... it says: 'P_SetupLevel: map01: hexen format not supported'.

Azuruish said:

Make it playable in prboom for example... it says: 'P_SetupLevel: map01: hexen format not supported'.

MistAche said:

I did make the map using Doom 2: Hexen format... I'll go with UDMF in the future which would help I believe.

PrBoom-plus doesn't support UDMF either. Only Doom format.

You wont be able to convert it very easily. You may be able to copy and paste all the sectors of your map to a new map made in Doom 2 or Boom format, but you'll need to manually change all the linedef actions to their closest behavior, which wont be exactly alike if you were mapping in Hexen format.

The map's pretty good, but not to my liking due to It being a Slaughtermap In some fashion, but I'll give It a full go whenever I have the patients.

Good job, man. But don't take It the wrong way when I said that.. It Is a good map.

Tritnew said:

The map's pretty good, but not to my liking due to It being a Slaughtermap In some fashion, but I'll give It a full go whenever I have the patients.

Good job, man. But don't take It the wrong way when I said that.. It Is a good map.

Sure thing, it's not for everyone. It's a tough map so far in a few bits... but not overly difficult. I made it for my own style of play. It's not a leisurely stroll through, you'll die a bit working out where safe havens, secrets, health, ammo & finding strategies that work - which is the point really.

yaqxsw said:

I finished map on UV, found 4 secrets (where 2?) and map is good :) 5 stern

On picture is missing texture. Check it :)
http://www.fotos-hochladen.net

Haha, you found that HOM... I saw that last night too. Will fix with next update. Yeah, your Zdoom is severely out-of-date. I'd recommend Gzdoom anyway for lighting.

Which secrets did you find? can give tips on the others... for example Invulnerability in the lavafall.

uhh thats realy just something for people which are into slaughtermaps :P
nothing for me

DAZZER said:

uhh thats realy just something for people which are into slaughtermaps :P
nothing for me

It isn't a slaughter map... surprised people are letting themselves be defeated so easily. It's a combination of open space fighting and claustrophobic traps. Since when was hell easy though?

I mean fuck... the start is just punch and kite, you'd have to be playing with one hand to die there.

rdwpa said:

Shots look great, my ZDoom visual settings must have been bad. :D I'll replay it (in GZDoom, this time) sometime.

Legend. Ill look forward to the results, enable the lighting paks. Should have it finished completely in the next couple of weeks anyway.

Haha, you found that HOM... I saw that last night too. Will fix with next update. Yeah, your Zdoom is severely out-of-date. I'd recommend Gzdoom anyway for lighting.

Which secrets did you find? can give tips on the others... for example Invulnerability in the lavafall.

Now I found all secrets :) Thank

Really hard, but also really fun. A lot of trial and error, but after I cleared the first rooms the layout allows many different ways on how to approach the next battles. I also like how you can lure some of the later monster waves to a more favourable position and take advantage of the architecture. I am enjoying the great hell scenery!

MistAche said:

I mean fuck... the start is just punch and kite, you'd have to be playing with one hand to die there.

A level is always easier for the author, because you know exactly where to go. I found the start kind of frustrating and had to restart a dozen times before I knew how to punch my way through to the double shotgun.

Tetzlaff said:

Really hard, but also really fun. A lot of trial and error, but after I cleared the first rooms the layout allows many different ways on how to approach the next battles. I also like how you can lure some of the later monster waves to a more favourable position and take advantage of the architecture. I am enjoying the great hell scenery!

A level is always easier for the author, because you know exactly where to go. I found the start kind of frustrating and had to restart a dozen times before I knew how to punch my way through to the double shotgun.

On beginning you need just open gate, go next room and take supershotgun. It save time and some accuracy :)

Yes, I found that out after a few tries. But you don't just go there, you have to punch Pinkies and Imps out of the way. Then I had to try another couple of times to time my shots right after I picked up the db shotgun, because wall lowered and shotgunners/chaingunners attacked from both sides :) But it's all good, you get a sense of accomplishment when you finally manage to overcome the first mob.

yaqxsw said:

On beginning you need just open gate, go next room and take supershotgun. It save time and some accuracy :)

This man know's ;)

I always grab the zerker pack and dash just left of the spectre and through the door, grab the SSG, blow the barrels and head left again up the stairs.

Well done on finding the secrets too Yaqxsw. They're overall pretty obvious thus far.

Side note: How difficult overall did you find the map so far? you seemed to nail it rather quickly... I wanted it hard, but not seemingly impossible.

Tetzlaff said:

Yes, I found that out after a few tries. But you don't just go there, you have to punch Pinkies and Imps out of the way. Then I had to try another couple of times to time my shots right after I picked up the db shotgun, because wall lowered and shotgunners/chaingunners attacked from both sides :) But it's all good, you get a sense of accomplishment when you finally manage to overcome the first mob.

Well done man, I salute your determination. Couple of hints: Be sure to find the backpack secret near the start so that you head out with max cells. When you head outside with the BFG, take out the AV immediately with one shot and then head right. You can spam BFG through the hordes of Revs, make your way to the megasphere/ammo/switch to keep yourself alive, rinse and repeat x3 for all 3 switches (My favorite part... so intense!). Then it's easy enough to head into hell. You were right in saying 'The author knows', completely agree, and I tend to forget this.

I'm working on fixing a few bugs, for example if you hit the switch before taking the blue skullkey, you get locked in, couple of HOM's and finishing the last quarter. Will update soon...

Cheers lads.

I can't, I just can't. Playing this on very easy is harder than Normal Doom 2 on Ultra Violence. I know that you probably only want crazy skilled people to play this WAD but I mean c'mon, us normal people would like a chance at beating this map :P

MistAche said:

This man know's ;)

I always grab the zerker pack and dash just left of the spectre and through the door, grab the SSG, blow the barrels and head left again up the stairs.

Well done on finding the secrets too Yaqxsw. They're overall pretty obvious thus far.

Side note: How difficult overall did you find the map so far? you seemed to nail it rather quickly... I wanted it hard, but not seemingly impossible.

My skill is good, I played Doom since 10 years a for me this WAD at first time is bit difficult. Most hard part is room with 3 cyberdemons and I have killed them without any invulability (didnt knew about this). Another hard part was a room with many zombieman spawn and I need hide for saving health. I passed this WAD at 1 hour and almost 100% monster kills.

I would give this WAD a difficult rating on first playing 4, but after playing 2-3 turn I would give 3,5 (1 easy - 5 hard) :)

MistAche said:

Influences: Dante's Inferno, Deus Vult, Green Herring's 'Year 23 - The Belly of the Beast', Wayne Barlowe & John Martin paintings (Pandemonium)

All these things are extremely my shit. Super-hard gameplay, not so much my shit, but I'll download it and check it out anyway.

MistAche said:

It isn't a slaughter map...

It might not be the most intense slaughtermap that ever slaughtermapped, it's not one of the insane bullet hell types, but any map that sets this many revenants on the player at once is totally a slaughtermap, or at least has a bunch of slaughtermap-style fights if you want to split hairs between that and a "real" slaughtermap. I'm grinding my way through with savescumming, but it's definitely not my cup of tea. Which is fine, you made what you wanted to make and I respect that.

DASI-I said:

I can't, I just can't. Playing this on very easy is harder than Normal Doom 2 on Ultra Violence. I know that you probably only want crazy skilled people to play this WAD but I mean c'mon, us normal people would like a chance at beating this map :P

On final release I'll include HMP difficulty, which should make it significantly easier. Thanks for giving it a go bud :)

jerrysheppy said:

It might not be the most intense slaughtermap that ever slaughtermapped, it's not one of the insane bullet hell types, but any map that sets this many revenants on the player at once is totally a slaughtermap, or at least has a bunch of slaughtermap-style fights if you want to split hairs between that and a "real" slaughtermap. I'm grinding my way through with savescumming, but it's definitely not my cup of tea. Which is fine, you made what you wanted to make and I respect that.

How far did you get? admittedly the outside arena is very slaughterish... I just wanted pure chaos, and hordes of hells forces coming down on the player. Once you realise you can spam BFG in the revenant's faces and survive on the powerups it's not too bad. Thanks for giving it a crack, as above I'll have a HMP difficulty on release which should help.