Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Is latest ZDoom version able to run BUILD Maps ?

I Just exported few Duke3D maps and i'm curious if ZDoom can handle them ?, I read a post here saying Older ZDoom versions could Load BUILD Maps .

If not, can you recommend me a good "Map converting" tool that can convert Duke3D Maps to Doom format, or maybe New formats like UDMF or Doom in Hexen format ?

can't happen in the general case, things like dynamic slopes, reshaping sectors and non-euclidean geometry all inhibit it

while line portals do exist in zdoom now I wouldn't expect a program to ever be able to handle converting build maps to use it reliably

I'm not sure you can. From the ZDoom wiki:

"ZDoom has a partial and limited support for the Build map format, as a legacy of ZDuke. Maps in this format can be loaded and explored, but they are not playable, the scale ratio is not accurate, and many features are not implemented (and never will be)."

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Map_format

Ijon Tichy said:

while line portals do exist in zdoom now I wouldn't expect a program to ever be able to handle converting build maps to use it reliably

I Was just hoping to get a converter able to "At keast" convert the levels to a common map format, So i can modify them manually to make 'em work, I Read a post from someone talking about that converter once though i can't find it .

Zed said:

I'm not sure you can. From the ZDoom wiki:

"ZDoom has a partial and limited support for the Build map format, as a legacy of ZDuke. Maps in this format can be loaded and explored, but they are not playable, the scale ratio is not accurate, and many features are not implemented (and never will be)."

Well that's sad, a Converter is my only hope then (if it exists) .

I know about that sourceport, I'm just interested in porting the game levels to ZDoom, And maybe recreate rest of things with DECORATE and few ACS Scripts .

Here is a fact that should have been already clear to you: Many features of the Build engine are impossible to faithfully recreate in ZDoom, even with the latest UDMF, ACS, DECORATE or whatever ZDoom features. Neither a lot of manual care nor any hypothetical converter would change that fact.

I've seen bunch of mods like ZBlood that made Blood maps playable on ZDoom, I don't know if that thing was made manually from scratch or just converted so i had to ask .

Well if it's not possible, then i guess there's no escape from manually remaking them .

What I was trying to say is that many things can't be manually remade either. ZDoom just doesn't have equivalents of those features.

scifista42 said:

What I was trying to say is that many things can't be manually remade either. ZDoom just doesn't have equivalents of those features.

Let me expand on this:

1. How would you make the opening vent in E1M1? That's not a hole - it's a silent teleport made by the SectorEffector when you reach the point it's placed.

2. Still on the topic of E1L1, it's filled to the bone with 3d floors, and even in (G)ZDoom it's surprisingly hard to create those stairs

Spoiler

I know that in the BD Starter Pack there's a E1L1 recreation, but it's just... wrong

3. EDIT: I forgot about the exploding ceiling and falling Pig Cops in E1L2. That's also very complex to create in ZDoom. I'm not even sure it's possible.

4. A lot of the things in Duke Nukem depend on the 10 special sprites - SectorEffector, Activator, Touchplate, ActivatorLocked, MusicSFX, Locator, Cycler, Masterswitch, Respawn and GPSpeed.

a) SectorEffector - this special is very hard to recreate - things like
teleporters and doors are very easy, but then again, lightning and
elevator transports (which depend on teleports) are damn hard.

b) Activator - probably the easiest one to recreate, since it's the same
as the standard D/G//S types of activating.

c) Touchplates - mostly recreated by W types of activating, but since
they toggle Masterswitches it is hard to recreate them-

d) ActivatorLocked - making locked doors that unlock when you do a
certain things are easily recreated in ACS. Still some of the effects
used in the original levels may prove to be hard.

e) MusicSFX - also easily done in ACS. Echo sounds would be pretty hard
to recreate since they depend on the location of the player.

f) Locator - Locator = MapSpot. 'Nuff said. Still, getting paths to work
properly takes some time.

g) Cycler - never understood how to use it in DN3D. I can't say anything
for it other than it could be hard to make dynamic rotating lights
found in E2.

h) Masterswitch - also a pretty unknown special to me. It seems to use
a time delay - otherwise it's the same as Activator, I guess.

i) Respawn - ACS and MapSpots can make it. Even good ol' closet
teleports will get the job done.

j) GPSPEED - the speed parameter in almost any script. Very easy.

5. Many sprites are found in Duke Nukem. There is no such sprite behaviour in Doom so sewer doors, lightning and, of course, the magical pool table are impossible to remake.

6. A lot of enemies have very complex behaviour. Take, for instance:

a) Protozoid Slimer - has two states. The first one lasts a random amount of tics after spotting a player. Then it turns into a second one which attacks the player by covering his screen and doing damage. Because it has two states and many sprite animations it's very hard to recreate it nicely.

b) Assault Captain - this guy can shoot lasers, which is easy. But he can also disappear (become invisible and untouchable) for a random amount of tics. After you kill him there's a random chance of toggling its alternate death animation, and even then there's a random chance of him resurrecting. Would take a lot, A LOT of DECORATE to make this guy.

tl;dr - It's impossible to faithfully recreate DN3D in ZDoom, even with the DN3D Texture Pack and ZDoom features.

What exactly would you want out of being able to play BUILD maps in ZDoom?

If you're looking for a way to play Duke levels with Doom weapons, your best bet would be to look up a gameplay mod for EDuke32. Here's one, can't speak for its quality but it showed up in searches easily enough.