Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Face23785

E1-E4 levels all from pistol start

So the iwads have gotten fairly routine to play for me on UV (tried Nightmare, I just can't do that). I've got a 2 gig folder of pwads I really should start playing through, but I always find an excuse not to play them. This time, it was because I haven't pistol started and beaten each and every stock level yet on UV. I started working on this a few years ago but I forgot where I was, so I decided to start over at E1M1 and make a fucking spreadsheet so I wouldn't forget which levels I'd already knocked out.

I finished Ultimate Doom recently, that was fun. I assume there's other folks out there that have done this. I did this playing a level or two here or there over the last 2 months or so, so I may not remember all of the hardest ones.

What levels do you all think are hardest in Ultimate Doom to beat from a pistol start? For me:

E1M7 - You get swarmed at the start by a bunch of hitscanners, imps, and demons, if you can't get to a shotgun quick it can end badly
E2M4 - Wasn't that hard, but I wanted to include something from E2 and this was the only level I found a bit of a challenge
E3M2 - If I remembered where all the items were this probably turns into a piece of cake
E3M3 - I think the order in which I tackled the areas made this harder than it needs to be
E3M5 - Same as E3M3
E3M8 - Not too hard but worth mentioning that pistol starting it is the only way that makes it even remotely challenging
E4M2 - The start is a bitch even when you play E4M1 first so from a pistol start I kept fucking up
E4M6 - Usually by this point in a full playthrough I've got a fair amount of health built up. Starting with the stock loadout sucked
E4M9 - I simply haven't played this level much, so it was a challenge just due to unfamiliarity

I haven't tried playing the IWADs pistol start, aside from e3m8, which is indeed more interesting than ending the fight with one BFG blast.

E4M2 was the most intimidating to me in pistol start UV, since you can have some good loot from E4M1 when not attempting to max it in continuous. It took me more tries on E4M6 though.

Anyway, have fun! Doom in pistol start, UV and no save is a drug once you get used to it. Each level feels like an arena to conquer.

I only played E1 from pistol starts, but I'd say E1M8 start was much more difficult than E1M7. To be honest, I didn't even notice E1M7 being difficult and I beat it on my first attempt.

E1M8, on the other hand, requires you to blow up the barrels perfectly in the very beginning or you'll have basically no sane way of killing the remaining demons, so I had to restart the level a few times.
I also had to punch two more demons to death down the hall, near the weapon chambers. Once you get the weapons, the rest of the level is a piece of cake though.

Although I got distracted by community WADs, I most definitely will try and pistol start all Ultimate DOOM levels eventually. Playing this way forces you to look from a whole new perspective on the levels you though were easy, and in some cases it makes finding secrets vital to your survival.

rileymartin said:

I haven't tried playing the IWADs pistol start, aside from e3m8, which is indeed more interesting than ending the fight with one BFG blast.

Pistol starting Doom 1 is good, and makes a few maps more interesting. Pistol starting Doom 2 is a massive improvement IMHO, and feels like the way it is meant to be played. So many maps turn into interesting puzzles where you have to actually hunt for resources, especially Sandy's maps, as opposed to playing continuous which is basically "shoot everything and move on".

E3M8 is a pushover level, especially if you find the BFG secret in E3M7. Pistol starting forces you to force infighting while trying to collect as many rockets before you're perforated, followed by a mad dive for the Plasma gun if the Spider's on to you.

From pistol start, E3M8 was very hard for me until I found a near-foolproof method. I pick up the rocket launcher and then proceed to the left clockwise around the ammo ledge. If I keep going, the timing works out that a cacodemon is near me and I can get it hit by the Spider so that the Spider is distracted in time that I don't get killed (as I keep walking around the ammo ledge). After a few more seconds (before the caco dies and I'm in trouble!) I head for the central room and tool up ready to use the baron and other caco to start an infight. I batter the Spider with plasma and rockets and it's sorted.

In E2, I have to say E2M3 often almost kills me because I rush for the exit a bit too fast. E2M4 is pretty routine IMO.

Although E4M2 is scary the first ten times (!) I find there is plenty of shotgun ammo and if I drop off into the poison before I get surrounded, get the suit and run round for the Supercharge, the cacos are not too difficult to finish off. Also if I am quick, the suit lasts long enough for me to pick up the green armour before dashing back up the stairs. The rest of E4M2 is much more tedious than it is hard, apart from the cyberdemon which occasionally hits me before I can drop off with a radiation suit.

Kira said:

Doom in pistol start, UV and no save

I did forget to mention that other condition, that each level must be completed without saves!

Rathori said:

I only played E1 from pistol starts, but I'd say E1M8 start was much more difficult than E1M7. To be honest, I didn't even notice E1M7 being difficult and I beat it on my first attempt.

E1M8, on the other hand, requires you to blow up the barrels perfectly in the very beginning or you'll have basically no sane way of killing the remaining demons, so I had to restart the level a few times. I also had to punch two more demons to death down the hall, near the weapon chambers. Once you get the weapons, the rest of the level is a piece of cake though.

I also was able to survive M7 the first try, but just barely. It was the only one in E1 where I almost died, at the starting room. M8 on the other hand I found fairly simple. I never have more than 1 demon left after I detonate the barrels, and the 2 in the weapon rooms I just ran past, to the bottom of the lift, and waited until one managed to get out and come down the hall toward me, then ran around him and picked up the weapon he left behind. It also helps if you know where the soul sphere is.

MathsDevil said:

From pistol start, E3M8 was very hard for me until I found a near-foolproof method. I pick up the rocket launcher and then proceed to the left clockwise around the ammo ledge. If I keep going, the timing works out that a cacodemon is near me and I can get it hit by the Spider so that the Spider is distracted in time that I don't get killed (as I keep walking around the ammo ledge). After a few more seconds (before the caco dies and I'm in trouble!) I head for the central room and tool up ready to use the baron and other caco to start an infight. I batter the Spider with plasma and rockets and it's sorted.

Although E4M2 is scary the first ten times (!) I find there is plenty of shotgun ammo and if I drop off into the poison before I get surrounded, get the suit and run round for the Supercharge, the cacos are not too difficult to finish off. Also if I am quick, the suit lasts long enough for me to pick up the green armour before dashing back up the stairs. The rest of E4M2 is much more tedious than it is hard, apart from the cyberdemon which occasionally hits me before I can drop off with a radiation suit.

Those are pretty smart haha, I admit I think some of the levels I found challenging was probably just because my strategy was not well thought out, or just non-existent!

I also agree with what plums said, it gives you a new appreciation for some levels and forces you to play different. I'm a few levels into Doom 2 now. I recommend it to anyone seeking a new challenge with the iwads. I'm kinda surprised there haven't been more folks replying that they've been there, done that. I figured this was something all the more hardcore Doomers had checked off their list.

Kira said:

no save

Ha, I always thought it was kinda the "default" way of doing pistol starts, so mentioning it seemed redundant.

Face23785 said:

the 2 in the weapon rooms I just ran past

I go for 100% kills whenever I can, and I wasn't sure I'd have enough ammo left for the barons (I never payed much attention to resources on full episode playthroughs), so I was conserving. Anyway, punching them was more tedious than difficult - there's plenty of room to maneuver even with both of them after you.

However, I have found that discovering how to play the levels on my own has been most satisfying --- there are a few secrets I first saw on YouTube videos and I felt disappointed that the potential joy of finding them had been taken away :-(

I very much dislike "trap" secrets, it's such a douchy move and basically gives the middle finger to completionists. I understand having optional areas with more monsters in them but to have secrets that are literally just death traps is messed up.

I only play NM even though I'm not particularly good at it. But here's my take

E1M3 - A ferocious start without any guns. Hope to grab a shotgun in time the demons overrun tyou.

E1M7 - Not too tricky and fairly possible; but you're really strained for health in the beginning.

E2M6 - A heavy level to beat all round and no guns is a huge disadvantage.

E3M4 - Really nasty to start, either you get lucky and dodge the first demon or you're toast.

The first parts of E4M2 aren't too bad on pistol start but you're sorely lacking without the rocket launcher to help you out at the beginning. And E4M6 is a nailbiter either on UV or NM.

Rathori said:

I go for 100% kills whenever I can, and I wasn't sure I'd have enough ammo left for the barons (I never payed much attention to resources on full episode playthroughs), so I was conserving. Anyway, punching them was more tedious than difficult - there's plenty of room to maneuver even with both of them after you.

I also try to go for 100% kills. After I went back and got the chaingun and shotgun, I did indeed kill those 2 demons. Just skipping a fight, especially when I'm trying to do a challenge like this, almost feels like I cheated. I won't hunt down a single lost soul that might have escaped somewhere, but I won't deliberately avoid killing enemies that are along the main route or in main/obvious secrets.

Reading this made me realize how abnormal it is for me to load up a couple of UD maps every day and play them from pistol start. Usually two or three maps being completely random. I must have completed the game countless amounts of times, UD is and always will be the WAD I always come back to.

Agreed, I don't do it that often but I thought there would be more people who were just like "you haven't beat them all from pistol start yet?"

I'm most of the way through Doom 2 now. A few levels took me several tries. I kept fucking up Tricks & Traps by going at the rooms in the wrong order. I haven't played Doom 2 near as much as UD, so I don't have every nook and cranny memorized.