Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
@DarkMasterXbone

Doom 1 Wad Routine Check in a Simple City

Its cool to see another Map from you :)

but this map feels a little bit "overdressed" ^^ Like you wanted all in it what you could think off :) also there are very much different textures in the single rooms... dont get me wrong texture variation is most time a good thing but i wouldnt do it every room :D but i had fun with it just keep doing maps and you will get better and better ^^

It's a nice map and I enjoyed playing it!

Try and align textures and make some rooms larger (the map felt a bit cramped at times) and keep making maps as you'll get better.

Nice map, but as Dazzer said, there's too much texture variation up to the point it can seem a mess.

In terms of gameplay this was really simple even on UV, I never dropped below 80%, though this may have been down to the abundance of stimpaks on the map. Funnily enough I found ammo to be quite hard to come across by the battle with the three barons, unless I'm missing something. The blue door secret I wouldn't really call a secret, since it's clearly signposted on the map and for what's inside that's a bit much to just give away. Perhaps obscure the room or expand it into a more difficult encounter to get that soulsphere and backpack?

Please, do make more maps.

I can confirm that it works with Zdoom if anyone else is wondering.

The map is pretty good, but the texture variation like others said makes it a bit messy. Speaking about the way its set up, I really don't see how the map is a "Simple city' its more of a military base with a sewer section. But keep up the good work, and just make sure you have better texture variation next time.

I think you should've made this one a normal techbase map. The regular Doom 1/2 texture set, especially 1's, don't lend themselves too well to city levels. It was jarring going from a series of techbase rooms to a wood texture one then back to techbase.
For the pinky ambush in the wood room, you forgot to set the door side textures where they come from to lower unpegged. The textures move by themselves as the doors open.

I'd tell you to be a bit more creative with monster closets and ambushes since the map wasn't too difficult overall. I did like the part near the end where you get teleported into an enemy ambush though.
I'm not sure about the Hell Barons since I believe those enemies only work well in cramped spaces or in battles where they're among weaker enemy mobs. When you place them by themselves in rooms where the player has plenty of room to move in engaging them is usually a waste of time. For the last three at the end I tried fighting them legit for 100%kills but then ran out of ammo after killing one and decided to hit the exit switch.

That said, I've been playing most of your maps and the level itself was good and shows improvement. Just make sure to work on making enemy encounters interesting and the levels having consistency with the texture selections.