Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MusicallyInspired

Doom TNT: Evilution SC-55 Music Pack Released!

Doom TNT/Final Doom SC-55 music pack released!

Available in boosted and raw alternatives for OGG, FLAC and MP3. Includes metadata loop tags for seamless looping playback in-game (except for MP3, which doesn't support custom tags).

Once again I apologize for the length of time it took to get this out the door. I'd appreciate any feedback from testing it out to see if everything's working properly. It should work fine and I've done minimal testing myself, but some things just slip through the cracks sometimes. I hope you enjoy it.

Great news! Thank you.

Just one thing: some of the tracks in TNT are duplicated. There's some documentation of this in Chocolate Doom's music pack example configs. So you're including a bunch of tracks twice. You can probably shrink the download size by de-duping these.

Worth noting that Chocolate Doom has some degree of support for these music packs now (including the loop metadata). The main caveat at the moment is that the Windows binaries don't yet include the necessary libraries.

I'm aware of the duplicates (I just copied the files rather than recording them twice, or in some cases, 3 times). Doom and Doom 2 contain duplicates as well. But there's no other way I can see to cut out the duplicates and have the source ports not play with missing tracks. Not out of the box, anyway. A few have mentioned compressing with 7z instead of Zip, but not all source ports support 7z.

That's great to hear about Chocolate Doom! I'm still fuzzy on how it's implemented, though. I used to list it as supported with metadata loop tags but I got emails asking me how it's done and I, well, don't know! So I removed it from the list. If there was a set of instructions I could post I could add it again with a note saying it doesnt yet work in Windows.

Ah, thank you. I missed the tempo change on that D_EVIL/D_DM2INT track that I had fixed for all the others (originally I recorded the entire thing 20 BPM too slowly and had to redo it all!).

As for D_DDTBL2, darn it. I specifically recorded that instrument separately because the polyphony was running out and some of the notes were getting muted. When I bounced the full track the separate recording for the missing instrument must not have been selected. I'll fix these right away and get new packs up. Many thanks again! Please let me know if you find anything else amiss!

The problems are fixed and replacement packs are currently being uploaded.

Fraggle, I've added Chocolate Doom back to the supported source ports list for the Doom games and added a link to those config files with a note that it won't yet work in Windows.

MusicallyInspired said:

That's great to hear about Chocolate Doom! I'm still fuzzy on how it's implemented, though. I used to list it as supported with metadata loop tags but I got emails asking me how it's done and I, well, don't know! So I removed it from the list. If there was a set of instructions I could post I could add it again with a note saying it doesnt yet work in Windows.

Totally understandable. I need to put together some proper instructions about how to set this up, and of course get it running on Windows. It's probably best to leave it off the list for now, though it is possible to get working.

The short summary is that you need a substitution config file. I have a set of example files for each game Chocolate Doom supports. The format looks like:

99767e32769229897f7722848fb1ceccc2314d09 = doom1-music/d_e1m1.flac
The right part is the filename to use, and on the left is a SHA1 hash of the MIDI it's replacing. The SHA1 hash uniquely identifies the MIDI lump based on its content: if the lump contains that exact data, the replacement file will be used.

The advantage of doing it this way is that even if you have PWADs containing MIDI tracks from Doom, they'll be detected and replaced correctly. So you can play a WAD file like Suspended in Dusk, for example (which uses a bunch of IWAD tracks for its levels), and you'll hear the high-quality SC-55 tracks.

I do appreciate that this makes things slightly more complicated to set up, though. Once things are in a better state I want to try to streamline the process. At the very least better instructions are needed. When the time's right I might come back and ask if you can include one of these .cfg files in each of your .zips - would you be open to that?

MusicallyInspired said:

Fraggle, I've added Chocolate Doom back to the supported source ports list for the Doom games and added a link to those config files with a note that it won't yet work in Windows.

That's great - thanks!

fraggle said:

I do appreciate that this makes things slightly more complicated to set up, though. Once things are in a better state I want to try to streamline the process. At the very least better instructions are needed. When the time's right I might come back and ask if you can include one of these .cfg files in each of your .zips - would you be open to that?

I can certainly see the advantage. This is what has stopped me from bundling the Final Doom/TNT soundtrack with vanilla Doom 2 as they use the same filenames. I have no problem including config files once you get things sorted. I hope the link to the files on the GitHub section there will do for now for people. I'd love to work together to get things as streamlined and easy to setup for people as possible. :)

Slight update.

I wanted to do something about Plutonia because it has a unique tracklist but it just reuses music from Doom and Doom 2. I didn't want to make new packs and upload what I essentially already have on my website, so what I did was create a batch script to generate a Plutonia music pack automatically. All you have to do is create a new folder, dump a set of Doom and Doom 2 music packs in (doesn't matter which, it'll automatically look for whichever set of ZIP files you got from my website, be it MP3, OGG, FLAC, raw, or boosted), unpack the plutonia_script.zip file and run plutoniamusic.bat. It will automatically pull the required tracks from the Doom/Doom 2 music pack ZIPs, rename each track appropriately, repackage them all into a new zipped Plutonia music pack, and clean up after itself. If it doesn't find any zipped music packs or if it already sees a Plutonia music pack in the folder it'll just drop back to cancel. It's best to make a brand new folder just to rule out the risk of accidental deletion of files you may want to keep. It should be pretty idiot proof, but it's just a good habbit to have anyway.

Doom: The Plutonia Experiment music pack batch script

Being a batch script, however, it obviously only works in Windows. The package includes the batch script and the 7zip command line tool. Both are required for it to work properly.