Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Hell is so far a *mildly* missed opportunity.

Looks great, though. Floatings rocks rock (get it?). The sulfuric mountainous landscapes and cavernous interiors are perfect. But I can tell it's not going to go quite into the realm of a surreal or abstract hell. This is more of a fantastical Hell, but also a traditional depiction of Hell. I think my boner for H. R. Giger and the artistic direction of "Event Horizon" are making me want something that gets a bit more "out there." Seems like maybe that's hard to do in high-end 3D? Or is it just that the artists didn't get as unhinged as they could have? I feel like mixing cybernetic and decaying imagery would have been interesting.

The necropolis has a bizzaro skybox with surreal shit floating in a dead sky, that level is pretty cool in terms of art style, very "dead"

The main influence for DOOM's Hell was heavy metal artwork, so they went for less of a surreal Hell and more of a badass/epic depiction of Hell.

It's true that DOOM's depiction isn't hugely imaginative, but it just looks pretty damn cool. With that said...seeing all the modern renditions of classic elements like skull keys, skull switches, green torches, blood altars, etc, was kind of surreal in a way. lol

Beside the heavy metal artwork, I think this version of Doom 2016 hell is aiming for a slightly different take on it. The landscape, if we can call it that, is clearly a primal world with archaic technology (cogs and gears to operate rudimentary lifts and so on). Unlike the corrupted cybernetics of the original Doom, they're aiming for an altered version of Doom 3's hell. The demons, this time around, have gotten their flabby hands on technology because the UAC was experimenting on them, or to be more specific, weaponizing them. The Cyberdemon, the Mancubus, the Revenant (former humans) have been grafted with said cybernetic augmentations. And the Spider Mastermind is apparently Olivia Pierce fusing with a demonic presence and technology. Before the UAC discovered the hell dimension, the demons relied on good old fashioned magic.

I wonder though, is this dimension hell itself, or is it the remains of the Doom Slayers homeworld as perverted by hell? Is it the ruins of an ancient city that once stood mighty but now is nothing more than a crumbling shadow of it's former self, redecorated by our friendly neighborhood demons? There is so much to this game if you take a real close look. A few times looking up at the sky in the hell sections of the game reveal interesting things, as well as peering into the void below.

while Doom'16's hell is very well done, I still like doom 3's hell aesthetic better.

I love how Markiplier kept commenting on the blood oozing everywhere, to the point where he acted like this was just part of Hell's ecosystem rather than id just trying to make it look cool. XD

MetroidJunkie said:

I love how Markiplier kept commenting on the blood oozing everywhere, to the point where he acted like this was just part of Hell's ecosystem rather than id just trying to make it look cool. XD

The blood's gotta go in pipes or something!

MetroidJunkie said:

I mean... That's what I'm doing with my WAD, I'm trying to make it look like some kind of mix of flesh and blood went Into some kind of large church that's been taken over by demons and converted to a demonic church.

Hell (pun intended), I thought Hell looked pretty creepy in the new DOOM, I think in the lines of DOOM 64 in some places.

I thought it was awesome. I especially liked the beginning of titans realm, it looked very cold and icy. The floating islands were very cool and the warped trees and flags felt very familiar to what I'm used to seeing in doom. I think they did a very nice job.

Now that we all experienced Doom's new Hell I now share Goatlord's previous thoughts on it.

Nothing critical though, I think they did a good job with Hell. But if you were to compare "decor" and design - the original Dooms did have walls made of guts, faces in anguish, impaled bodies twitching, various walls of torn corpses hanging and so on. There were even rooms just full of mutilated people. Despite being fast paced action oriented Doom did appear very dark and gory with its landscape.

Our beloved new Doom does have its share of gory details, generally in darker areas and a little difficult to see but its Hell is littered with ancient death. Shame everything had to decompose. I still have a little bit of hope for the return of Doom's gory decorations in a further installment or expansion.

I was hoping for different color schemes for Hell.

The starting area of Titan's Realm had this.. blue/cold look to it before you jumped down the gaping mouth and it returned to the Red/Yellow look.

It looks good for sure, but the original Dooms I guess had this sort of "tech hell" thing that I don't think id ever really returned to, although parts of Q3A had a similar tone. This is a more arcane look, which again I love, but something more distinctly Giger-y would've been cool. I feel like there's a moment or two in Doom 3 and ROE's hell segments that kind of went in that direction.

It's also kinda bad ass that those stone tablets basically say:
"See those huge skeletal remains? Yeah, you did that."

GoatLord said:

that the artists didn't get as unhinged as they could have? I feel like mixing cybernetic and decaying imagery would have been interesting.

When I look at original doom's hell I do realise that yes it was made within significant tech limitations, but I can always reognise it due to its absolutely unique vision....you can't confuse it with anythig else - you know it is DOOM with all its cybernetic and decaying environments and marble walls and satanic faces and etc.
But when I look at Doom16's Hell - it could be any other fantasy game hell...and that's because of a more generic approach. Even here it tries to appeall to broader audience....it's a far cry in comparison with unique original art style!
And all those excuses like "They wanted to add freshness to originals" cos NO, they didn't! They simply don't get what made original hell so unique. And if I'm an artist and I can see why something became such an iconic appearance and I still try to mix it with my own vision pretty much killing it then I'm a prick!
Id's artists are obviously very talented guys....but they simply don't get it, I mean Doom's hell art majic!

The original's hell was sureal while the new doom's hell seems to be reminiscent of biblical or Dante' Inferno hell(book). I kinda wish they'd kept the laughing and agonizing faces on the walls and floors of guts and slime. Still It's not bad.

I think your opinion of D3's hell is dead wrong but I'm not going to sit here and argue. As for Doom'16's Hell you can see more classic Fantasy Oil paintings have influenced This version of Hell then the original Doom has, Like much of the work done by Don Punchatz and Frank Frazetta. Which isn't an art style we've seen in a long time, but it makes sense in context to the Doom'16 story, in which the demons whom have gotten cybernetic enhancments have gotten them placed on them from the UAC.

As iconic as it was, classic Doom's "tech hell" was simply a crude depiction of the UAC base being consumed by hell. There was a bit of it in Doom 3, but not so much in Doom '16 barring the demons themselves.

As for hell-hell, they took more cues from Doom 3 than classic Doom, except you can see where you're going this time. IIRC Doom 3's hell also had a lot of floating rocks, mountainous landscapes, chains and gears and stuff.

The concept art for 2 rooms in the titan and argent levels respectively look so much more badass than the ingame final rendition.

Especially the argent one, with fire and pentagrams everywhere and 2 dead hung barons of hell ... the final game rendition is somewhat close but still lacks that 'holy crap this is really hell' feel.

I hope in the sequel we get to visit even more hellish areas, in the codex there is mention of 'blood pools' and a 'lake of fire' ... sounds awesome!!!

Maybe I am the only one in here who absolutely loves a 'classical' hell look and artistic feel, fire and brimstone / gore, blood and guts / horned demon faces and nothing else. I understand some people want a geiger/chthulu cross, but I am fine with the quality of the Hell we get in the game. It is rather the quantity / magnitude that I complain about. We 'only' get 4 levels - I am selfish, I know, sorry id! - and it leaves me wanting more Hell. Maybe in the DLC/xpac/sequel, hehe.

HellVain said:

There is one, Look up Agony. A game about a poor sap trying to survive literal hell.

It looks more like pan's labyrinth than the the good mixture of gothic hell and the surreal of event horizon that doom 3 was

massivefanofdoom said:

geiger/chthulu cross

It's neither one of those imo. It's something that stands up by itself. The ambient sound design in doom 3 is something special I've never listened before. A mixture of uncomfortable silence and the sound of suffering and pain, it makes you think there's something all around you that you cannot understand. And I'm not talking about those ridiculous pewdiepie horror-jump games.
I've never been scared by doom 3 but I always thought his horror elements were so f.... cool!
I'll go further and say no, it's not a heavy metal cover.. it's an hell opera.... ruined by shooting mechanics

GeckoYamori said:

I miss the marble and wood architecture.

Not saying I don't miss them, but both of those were iconic 80's/early 90's styles that no longer seem present in architectural décor and style, or nearly as prominent, as they once were. I guess when they were creating bitmaps/pics of everything in fuzzypumper palette shop, they had used a lot of stuff from the realworld, and you can see a lot of emphasis of the style/fashion of worldly things (architecture/décor/etc) extracted from that time period.

For example, the office building I work at was completed and opened in December of 1993... while renovated several times since then, you can still see a lot of the early 90's designs and architecture (a lot fo the outdoor sidewalk lightposts look just like the ones from DOOM, marble stuff, pillars, lighting, oddly lit corridors, etc. It looks eerily similar to a DOOM base level (no joke) both exterior and some of the interior areas that have been less-renovated, and I've always chalked that up as the mainstreams design of that era were also heavily inspiread and used in the game.

I'll take pictures and post.

My point is, the new DOOM looks far more modern sci-fi and inspired by more industrial complex design, more like what we'd see in medical centers or massive office complexes today... cold/two tone/shiny & metallic. Very polished yet juicy & vivd. Even Hell designs are more mythlogical/magical than they are say, like DOOM 3's... where it's just a atmosphere of twisted torment and suffering as it was considered in the past.

Buckshot said:

DOOM 3's... where it's just a atmosphere of twisted torment and suffering as it was considered in the past.

Saying "just" is a bit reductive, creating a game that has this type of atmosphere is a huge achievement, also considering the fact that it is an FPS Shooter so you're walking constantly with a "reassurance shotgun"