Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Big Robb

What is the most atmospheric wad you have ever played?

Mines is the Mansion from PSX Doom. Whats yours and if it is a third party wad "Alien Vendetta, Memento Mori" etc post a link because I want to play the most atmospheric wads the world of Doom has to offer.

I once made a wad where the final room was made entirely of sky this one sky texture. I'd say that was pretty 'atmospheric', eh?

If you want that kind of atmosphere, go stand in a wind tunnel for a while.

honestly i cant remeber but i have played many good maps over the years. I like things that keep to the original doom feel, dark scary, and sudden surprises. however many themed maps are not my fav, except well done hell and e1. i never liked gothic wads and other similar themes, too much like hexen(which i also like)

mustafa saed said:

Dark7,Slipgate

GO TEAM DEMISE!!! You'll probably like the new project =]

Brainstorming here... it's a very subjective, er, subject, obviously.

The Reactor (Requiem MAP08) has to be on the list: dark, sinister, and great music, probably my favourite level.

A couple of classics come to mind: ALOHA2X Cygnus IV

KTULU perhaps, although I remember it more for the gameplay.

NOSUN4 in particular, and Sailor's wads in general.

Those are examples of atmosphere from the setting of the level (architecture, lighting, music). The gameplay can create an atmosphere too; e.g. once you're 25 levels into Hell Revealed it feels pretty oppressive and lonely :-) (unusual, since fast, action-packed levels don't usually come with atmosphere)

Map09, map26 and map27 of Memento Mori 2.

Chris Lutz' Inferno episode.

Equinox.wad (get hold of that one).

Map12 od ADSP (Afterdoom: Deep Space Pursuit). It's a crap repetitive map, but it's atmosphere rocks!

Map06 and Map20 of Final Doom: Evilution.

Map10 of Alien Vendetta.

Map07 of 10secto2.wad (the "runners up" 10 sector megawad).

agree with Little Faith, map 20 Evilution probably. Else E1M2 or E1M8, or Geryon or that other space one where Lost Souls fly in from the Master Levels. Pfeh, I'm probably forgetting loads from Doom II but I'm too tired..

You know, maps don't have to be a dark, lava filled hell for it to be atmospheric. There are some good ones out there that have nothing to do with hell. A few of these I can think of are Trinity (that classic university map), some of Alien Vendetta's tech base type maps and map 20, the old Aliens TC, most of the first episode or 2002ado, and the recent one map with that rope bridge and the military built in the middle of some old ruins (I forgot the name of it).