Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ninja Senshi

Doom ReBooted (First Project)

Updated: (6/8/2016)

https://youtu.be/D0PbjY93QVo?t=1m28s

For those who don't feel like watching the video, or just in case I missed a few, here is a complete list of things that I want in this mod, everything from what mods this will be based on (With given credits), to actual mechanics & features I want implemented, & some other things that are extra that I want focused on after the mod is completed. As well as a list of resources or things I might need help with if anyone is interested.

Base Game:

Brutal Doom: For Blood/Gore similar to Doom (2016) (Yes, I know how much this community hates the mod, get over it. It will be heavily modified, so it will be nothing like the mod you all hate.)

Guncaster: For double jump mechanic, will be edited to include a wall climb mechanic if one is near by, emulating Doom (2016)'s.

Mechanics & Features:

Melee: Instead of using fists to melee, every weapon can be melee'd, just like in Doom (2016). This will require some spritework for the weapons. The only time fists will be available is for when the berserk powerup is used that will also need sprites for the fists and for punching animation.

Double Jump/Wall Climbing: As mentioned above, will be using the Guncaster mod for it's game mechanic of being able to double jump and then adding a wall climbing ability akin to Doom (2016), this will also require sprites, such as when climbing walls, and the blue sparks from when using your thrust to double jump.

Weapons & Mods: Since the idea of a droid that gives you the upgrades on maps would be ridiculous, every player will just be fully upgraded Doom Marines. So instead by the click of a button you will be able to switch between the weapon mods you already have, these will require sprites. Balances will be made to all weapons, and most of the mods will use it's own ammo, &/or replace skulltag's weaponry, such as; Machine Gun replacing the minigun, Grenade Launcher mod for the Combat Shotgun replacing the Grenade Launcher, Vortex Rifle replacing the railgun, Fists replaced by infinite ammo pistol, and Gauss Cannon replacing the BFG 10k. The Plasma Gun's EMP blast will use it's own ammo, such as batteries or something along those lines.

Ranker: Similar to what NeoJumpMaze servers do on Zandronum. We want something that records progress. We want to include something that provides players a chance to play against other players of fair skill. This will be similiar to Halo's skill based matchmaking system from Halo 2 and Halo 3. There will be ranks 1-50 (Just an example) every match you win you rank up, every match you lose, you rank down. If you are rank 50 you can't go any higher, and if you are rank 1 you can't get lower. Akin to mods that have classes you choose what your skill level is, if anyone in the match is lower or higher than you, you can't play and can only spectate (For example, 1-10, 11-20, etc.)

Aesthetics:

We'll be using the latest alpha/beta build for Zandronum 3.0 as it allows the most features. This is going to be a very demanding mod, we will try to make it be easier to work, but we want it to look good. Here's some visual things we want implemented;

Voxels: All weapons, powerups, health, and armor, etc. will use 3D Voxels instead of 2d Sprites.

Detailed textures: Textures that are very similar to Doom (2016) or rips, are something we want in the mod. We want to emulate the original game as much as possible.

Hud: Right now I am just using the Zandronum compatible hud by Saegiru, but with a bit of editing we want a hud that is similar to Doom (2016)'s, more emulating of the new Doom.

Mapping:

What would be the use of doing this and not making maps that can accomdate the speed and pacing of the new Doom or the verticality and double jumping?

The maps in Doom (2016) are perfect for Deathmatch between 4-6 players and the big ones might even work for 8.

We'd also wouldn't mind some other kind of maps that still use the same textures, but for other modes such as: CTF, Skulltag, etc.

I'll be learning how to map for the next few weeks/months, and will make my first map to accommodate these gameplay mechanics.

What we'll need:

Spriters & people to Voxelize the pick-up sprites
Mappers
Texture makers
Scripters for ACS
Playtesters & Server Hosts

(As of 6/13/2016) this mod has been cancelled.

At E3, Bethesda/id Software announced a weapon wheel, showing snapmap having the weapon wheel & a full arsenal, just like in the campaign. As well as announcing a classic Deathmatch mode. If anyone is still interested in continuing this project, feel free, I will not be continuing this however.

Do what everyone does first: Make small single player makes and work your way up from there. Putting a large project as a first will overburden you and you may end up losing interest in it partway through.

Glaice said:

Do what everyone does first: Make small single player makes and work your way up from there. Putting a large project as a first will overburden you and you may end up losing interest in it partway through.

I appreciate that, but the whole reason why I am getting into modding is because of how shit the new multiplayer is in the first place. Doom deserves better & seeing how dumbly optimistic everyone is over it, I figure any help I will get is going to be very little. I could be wrong.

Where to start? Well, some CTF servers on Zandronum already track experience and have a level progression system in place. If you have some prior scripting/programming experience, I don't think that it's too hard to hit the ground running.

You might get a feel for ACS looking at the API at http://zdoom.org/wiki/ACS

BloodyAcid said:

Where to start? Well, some CTF servers on Zandronum already track experience and have a level progression system in place. If you have some prior scripting/programming experience, I don't think that it's too hard to hit the ground running.

You might get a feel for ACS looking at the API at http://zdoom.org/wiki/ACS

Why I didn't think to check out wikipedia first before coming here IDK. But thanks for the link. As Glaice suggested, I think I'll start off by making a map inspired by/for my mod. Know of any places that would good for me to start learning mapping, FYI my map has to have the ability to have open floors/multiple levels, because I plan on my mod using double jump and wall clambering (If possible), so the map I will make has to be able to accomodate that.

Though it is a bit dated, I started out my mapping career using this video series. Alternatively, you can visit the Doomworld's very own tutorial subforum, or more specifically, this thread. There are also a bunch more of videos on Youtube or from Googling, but this should be a good place to start.

Specifically for "multiple floors", you'd want to look up tutorials on 3D floors. There are already some mods out there that implement double jump (and I think wall climbing/sliding too). The one that comes to mind is Xaser's parkour mod.

(As a super aside, I tried writing my own tutorials, but gave up when I swapped computers).

(edited for grammar)

BloodyAcid said:

Though it is a bit date, I started out my mapping career using this video series. Alternatively, you can visit the Doomworld's very own tutorial subforum, or more specifically, this thread. There are also a bunch more of videos on Youtube or from Googling, but this should be a good place to start.

Specifically for "multiple floors", you'd want to look up tutorials on 3D floors. There are already some mods out there that implement double jump (and I think wall climbing/sliding too). The one that comes to mind is Xaser's parkour mod.

(As a super aside, I tried writing my own tutorials, but gave up when I swapped computers).

Thanks I favorited all of those. Will check them out as soon as possible. :)

Guncaster uses ACS to grant the user additional jumps. Refer yourself to "Source/Guncaster.acs" (directory for the file) to find the code.

Since the Skulltag Minigun is a more powerful version of the Vanilla Chaingun, I would think the DOOM Chaingun should replace the Skulltag Minigun, and the Heavy Assault Rifle should replace the Vanilla Chaingun.

Voxels seem fairly unnecessary. I'd say to put that as one of the lowest priorities on the list.

What is this "EMP Blast" you are referring to for the Plasma Gun? If you're referring to the "Stun Bomb" or "Heat Blast" weapon mods, the Stun Bomb should run off of plasma as it usually does, and plasma heat should be generated by the Plasma Gun automatically. If you're referring to neither of those, then what is it you're referring to?

Once I get the game (which will not be for a long time), I will try to do some rips. Is it okay if I submit MD3 models of the weapons?

I never thought the community hated Brutal Doom... I thought it was just Sergeant Mark IV that they hated...

Ninja Senshi said:

What we'll need:

Spriters & people to Voxelize the pick-up sprites
Mappers
Texture makers
Scripters for ACS
Playtesters & Server Hosts

Well, a few thoughts:
Spriters: Depends on what you're looking for exactly. If you insist on doing everything with Voxels, I'm not sure why you would still need spriters. On the other hand, there are already some Doom (2016) weapon sprite rips that you could look to use.

Texture makers: By texture makers do you mean you want people to either data mine the game (which I don't think is legal), or painstakingly screenshot wall after wall? There are already some decent modern-looking texture packs, like in Legacy of Suffering that you could look for inspiration and resources in.

Playtesters & Server Hosts: Easiest part - I think you can go fill out a form or ask a request from some of the dedicated server hosts for this.

Usually it's hard for a new modder to find a few decent mappers to tag along, let alone find a full blown team to make new voxels, sprites, write your scripts for you, and then play test it while you yourself are just learning the ropes, but best of luck nonetheless.

(also, this is a personal quip, but I really dislike how you said "just like the actual Doom, it will be inspired by Brutal Doom" - that's such a dumb statement, but that's just me.)

DoomKrakken said:

Guncaster uses ACS to grant the user additional jumps. Refer yourself to "Source/Guncaster.acs" (directory for the file) to find the code.

Since the Skulltag Minigun is a more powerful version of the Vanilla Chaingun, I would think the DOOM Chaingun should replace the Skulltag Minigun, and the Heavy Assault Rifle should replace the Vanilla Chaingun.

Voxels seem fairly unnecessary. I'd say to put that as one of the lowest priorities on the list.

What is this "EMP Blast" you are referring to for the Plasma Gun? If you're referring to the "Stun Bomb" or "Heat Blast" weapon mods, the Stun Bomb should run off of plasma as it usually does, and plasma heat should be generated by the Plasma Gun automatically. If you're referring to neither of those, then what is it you're referring to?

Once I get the game (which will not be for a long time), I will try to do some rips. Is it okay if I submit MD3 models of the weapons?

I never thought the community hated Brutal Doom... I thought it was just Sergeant Mark IV that they hated...

Yea I was referring to the heat blast I think, but I guess you are right. Was just trying to think of a way to balance out all the extra firing modes. As for MD3 sure. I'm new to all this, so it's all very scary, but I'm very passionate about this and can see this going very far if done well, and yea, there's people out there who just hate the mod cuz he made it. So that's what I thought was the consensus here.

BloodyAcid said:

Well, a few thoughts:
Spriters: Depends on what you're looking for exactly. If you insist on doing everything with Voxels, I'm not sure why you would still need spriters. On the other hand, there are already some Doom (2016) weapon sprite rips that you could look to use.

Texture makers: By texture makers do you mean you want people to either data mine the game (which I don't think is legal), or painstakingly screenshot wall after wall? There are already some decent modern-looking texture packs, like in Legacy of Suffering that you could look for inspiration and resources in.

Playtesters & Server Hosts: Easiest part - I think you can go fill out a form or ask a request from some of the dedicated server hosts for this.

Usually it's hard for a new modder to find a few decent mappers to tag along, let alone find a full blown team to make new voxels, sprites, write your scripts for you, and then play test it while you yourself are just learning the ropes, but best of luck nonetheless.

(also, this is a personal quip, but I really dislike how you said "just like the actual Doom, it will be inspired by Brutal Doom" - that's such a dumb statement, but that's just me.)

I say both, because not everything 100% voxelized is supported, for example: player models and enemy sprites can't be fully voxelized. So spriters would be needed for that, I also don't know how people make voxels. I assumed it involved multiple sprites connected together like paper modeling, so I think it would be needed there. As for textures I just meant in general. Like if we need something that matches with the other textures, but just can't get the right color, size, shape, theme, etc.

And yea I can understand your quip with me referencing to Brutal Doom and comparing it. But as far as executions, blood & gore, etc. That stuff reminds me of it. There's lots of games that have that stuff so that comparison may have been a bit off.