Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThePetitDwarf

I've made zombies' groans more terrifying

Hello, everyone! I really like the intentions of the Freedoom project, so I wanted to help with something. Some of the things I consider affect the game experience are the monsters' groans, which aren't as creepy as Doom's, so I used Audacity to make zombie soldiers' groans sound more like a lich.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sup37xpzjg00cfn/AAAPn5Uyn-ghE7JL5Ma9vM5Za?dl=0

You can find there the .wav files and the original .aup files as well. I've just made what this tutorial said, with some variations in the Reverb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4o81aYFu68

So what do you think?

It kinda feels more like you just added a short reverb to each sound honestly. Not wanting to sound rude.

SuperSomariDX said:

It kinda feels more like you just added a short reverb to each sound honestly. Not wanting to sound rude.

This. They're no real improvement to the current sounds, I'm afraid.

Oh well. I just wanted to do something with Freedoom's sound effects since they're not as terrifying as Doom's. Unfortunately I'm not a sound engineer.

*Too late response, I know*

Catoptromancy said:

If it sounds better that current, then it could be added. Sometimes need to bump posts because things may get lost.

Who takes the final decision to add/discard something? I think these groans aren't so good, but at least they're better now, in my opinion

ThePetitDwarf said:

Who takes the final decision to add/discard something?

I don't think it's that simple. Most of the time (or at least recently) you have to take matters into your own hands, by submitting a pull request to Github directly. If the people think the new things are better than the current ones, you (or someone else on your behalf) should submit it on Github and hope the maintainers accept it.

For example, Blueworrior's Chapter 3 music wasn't added for a long time, even though they are excellent. In fact, if Blueworrior hadn't come back to post those 4 new Phase 2 tracks, I would've never found out that he also made Phase 1 music for Freedoom in the past. There were other tracks by other musicians that weren't added either. None of them were added until a few months ago.

Voros said:

I don't think it's that simple. Most of the time (or at least recently) you have to take matters into your own hands, by submitting a pull request to Github directly. If the people think the new things are better than the current ones, you (or someone else on your behalf) should submit it on Github and hope the maintainers accept it.

For example, Blueworrior's Chapter 3 music wasn't added for a long time, even though they are excellent. In fact, if Blueworrior hadn't come back to post those 4 new Phase 2 tracks, I would've never found out that he also made Phase 1 music for Freedoom in the past. There were other tracks by other musicians that weren't added either. None of them were added until a few months ago.

Ok. I'm gonna try to make this be a thing in Freedoom. Or at least convince a real sound engineer to perform the groans in the process.

I can't seem to play the WAV files, but judging from the filesize, I'm guessing they are not in 11025 hz, 8 bit, mono.

We have had many sets of zombie sounds. Maybe check out older ones for a base. I think we have another new one since these were submitted.