Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NRC

My First Doom Wad

This is my first doom wad and contains 7 maps. It is a Doom 2 Wad and is compatible with:

-Chocolate Doom
-PrBoom-plus
-Glboom-plus
-DoomRetro
-ZDoom
-GZDoom

(Has not been tested with Vanilla but most likely will work.)

Here are some images of the Wad

Here is the download link (V1.00):

https://www.mediafire.com/?z4h1mlomtjnxl6p

Newer Download link (V1.1):

https://www.mediafire.com/?lcy0e3sjc3az3dz

Change of ammo in all maps (less strict on ammo) From bemused
All DOORTRAK textures have Lower Unpegged. From Deadwing

Feedback would be greatly Appreciated.

This actually looks really well done for a first Doom WAD. I'm impressed.
Here, have this Golden Imp Trophy.

played it through, quite impressed!
Couple of things..
Im guessing it's intentionally tight on ammo? i found myself having to use the pistol against hitscanners coming out of their hidey holes to take their ammo to use on the main trap mobs
also unsure of what this is on map 3 or if its intentional?

On the doors it was intentional but not the one on the ceiling. That's been removed now. I agree the maps are quite tight on ammo, so I've added some more on each map. The original Post has been edited to include the new file with the changes. Thanks for the feedback!

Here's the FDA's of my playthrough:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/w7jr933mhj5lbhf/first-wad-deadwing.lmp

I'm quite impressed with it. The levels have some good level of detailing and it flows good, in some sort of relaxing way. Here's some suggestions of what I think you can be improve your style further (of course, you don't have to agree and follow these :P)

-> Doortrack textures should be marked as lower unpegged, so they don't follow the door when you open it up.

-> Detailing is really nice, some architecture was really well done. Still, I'm not really a fan of some "realistic" type of detailing, such as chairs, cables and destructed walls, it fells out of place with Doom's stock abstract textures. This is really my opinion though, because even some "pros" does that.

-> Most levels are quite linear. There's not really a problem on it, but trying something less linear might be interesting for a next wad.

-> Still on level layout, most levels plays on room -> room layout. Trying some interconnections between the rooms (different height differences, windows, etc), even with a linear progressions can make the whole level feel more integrated.

-> While enemy placement is nice, you also might want to try something more specific: I mean, some wads are more setpieces oriented with monster placement, then others focus on making the player go out of comfort zone and hides the monsters for the right moment, others yet will force you to survive in the beginning until you have enough resources, and you'll find some that are very classic playstyle but with little health, forcing you to play really carefully or you'll be dead. Just some examples of interesting monster placement pathways.

-> There's one level that I went out of ammo and I had to run to exit haha I think it was MAP05.

-> Custom soundtrack, even if it is Doom or Doom 2 music, is always good.

Thank you all for the feedback and compliments. I have learnt a lot from each of your feedback like how strict I should be on ammo and making maps less linear. I have a question, if I make more maps should I create a brand new wad for them or continue making maps for this wad. If I make more maps for this wad, I may think that the older maps would be inferior to the newer maps.

wow for a first WAD this is realy good nearly perfect :)

you are very creative and have cool ideas like this hole in the broken door ... never saw that before in a WAD :D

Maybe dont make your maps that linear ... add some rooms to find munition or health but without that its realy cool and fun to play ^^

NRC said:

Thank you all for the feedback and compliments. I have learnt a lot from each of your feedback like how strict I should be on ammo and making maps less linear. I have a question, if I make more maps should I create a brand new wad for them or continue making maps for this wad. If I make more maps for this wad, I may think that the older maps would be inferior to the newer maps.

From my experience, I would go with creating a new WAD along with a new theard, since you'll be getting more feedback instead of updating this one and getting very few.

https://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/v/71714244 = my playthrough of v1.1 of this wad.

Detailing was good. (bar the odd misaligned textures) Gameplay was not. I didn't die once during my playthrough on UV. The monster blocking line usage was terrible, and more of the nicely detailed areas demanded better gameplay encounters.

I saw some potential from these 7 maps, but better gameplay encounters would be good to see in future maps from this author.

I just watched the whole stream last night. Thank you for the in-depth feedback during the stream and on this forum.

I will start making a newer version so block lines are not there, and traps are less basic, hopefully making the gameplay more enjoyable! I'll crank up the difficulty as well.