Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kuchitsu

Vanilla particle fountains?

ZDoom particle fountains are so cool. Has anyone attempted to replicate them in vanilla? Maybe by adding more frames in DEHACKED.

Vanilla Doom doesn't have particles.

It doesn't even have functions to spawn actors in a way similar to ZDoom's particle fountains, so you couldn't replicate it that way either.

You can always make an animated fountain with textures or sprites (e.g. some mods have smoke or rain graphics), but it will never look as good as a real particle fountain in ZDoom.

The closest you could get to it, is to modify an actor in DEHACKED to always spawn puffs/blood and change their graphics to look like simple particles.

Really? I always thought they were kind of stupid.

So what do you want, just some big fat square pixels bouncing around in a 500-frame animation?

It sacrifices Wolfenstein SS. It doesn't affect how Commander Keen looks or works, although it uses one custom sprite that extends the KEEN range.

The particle thing needs 30 states in total. So, it would be feasible to make more ones in different colors if you were willing to sacrifice a couple more things.

I think it will look very hip and cool at the bottom of a waterfall, for example. I think noone has done it in vanilla before.

The main advantage of Quake-style particles is that they're easily adjustable and you don't need to draw any graphics. They aren't that pretty, to be honest. With sprites, you lose this flexibility.

I think sprite animations should take advantage of the fact that they use sprites, and show something more than just a bunch of dots. But, of course, that would require procuring elaborate graphics for your effect.

(I didn't actually look at the example yet.)