Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LGN-76

Have you ever found DOOM and/or a DOOM Engine Game at a Garage Sale...

...and/or a thrift store? (The Subject Bar wasn't long enough to fit the whole title in. :P )

Thus far, I've found:
DOOM Shareware v1.2 at a Garage Sale in Bellaire, MI
DOOM II at Salvation Army in Traverse City, MI
(It was inside a Master Levels case but Master Levels wasn't in there :P )
Ultimate DOOM at Goodwill in Traverse City, MI
-and-
Chex Quest at a thrift store in Charlevoix, MI

Yup, a copy of Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel at a flea market. Depths of Doom was there too but in really bad condition.

Use3D said:

a copy of Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel at a flea market

Lucky Stiff. I'll eventually buy it online though...

Literally every Doom-engine game I own a physical copy of came from a Goodwill store.

[edit] Actually I'm going to expand on this.

I currently own Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, and Doom 3. I found them all at Goodwill stores.

Doom 2 is apparently version 1.7a for MS-DOS, with the GT Interactive labels over it. It has spine/back artwork but no front artwork and I'm not sure if that's normal.

Hexen is version 1.1 for MS-DOS, with the full CD Audio soundtrack, and full case artwork with insert manual. No big-box, but what can you do.

Heretic is Shadow of the Serpent Riders in original case with manual and large box. The box is slightly dented, but when I saw it in the games shelf, I knew I had to rescue it. It looks great alongside my other big-boxes, and the fact that the box is designed to look like the Tome of Power makes it an excellent shelf piece.

Then there's Doom 3, which I've bought two different copies of. The first time, I wasn't even specifically buying Doom 3; I bought a copy of Age of Empires 3 that someone had gotten rid of. Goodwill wanted five bucks for it, I figured I liked the demo enough and nabbed it. I didn't realize until I checked out that it seemed quite a bit heavier than your typical DVD-case PC game, and when I popped it open, I found it contained not only AoE3, but also Medal of Honor Allied Assault (with a small scrap of paper containing its CD-key, and the Breakthrough expansion pack CD) and Doom 3 (discs only, and the original case-insert with its own CD-key).

Later on, I was handed a copy of Doom 3 in box. The box and case were in excellent shape, but the discs were scratched to hell (pun intended). I figured, my current copy of Doom 3 was living in a more-or-less blank 4-CD case with no inserts except for the key, so I merged the two copies together (throwing out the scratched discs) and put the inserts from the broken case into the much-nicer blank one that my good discs were in. A little Goof-Off to remove the stickers from the cardboard box, and suddenly the copy's as good as new.

I never really lucked out, but I've seen a couple; Hexen at a yard sale when I was in college, after I already had it, and a copy Doom 3 at the local Goodwill that turned out to be missing one of the discs.

Despite being a thrift store regular, all I've been able to find is a Master Levels CD (with the Maximum Doom shovelware, too).

We don't get anything down here really.
All I've got is a Hexen box with the manual, and a copy of Quake, but that doesn't exactly count.

I found what looked to be a homeburned CD of Ultimate Doom at a thrift store once, a few years back. Never got around to popping it in and seeing what it could do. Not sure if I lost it when I moved last month, but it warrants a look later.

I spotted console versions of Doom and Duke Nukem 3D on flea markets now and then. I don't remember seeing a PC version there though.
And back then, I bought Doom II in a second hand shop.

Well, I picked up Doom 2 at a thrift store (of sorts) back in 2008, so...

i'd assume that copies of Doom would be more commonplace in thrift stores in the US. at least, i've never managed to find any copies over here, aside from one of those shovelware discs with loads of crap on it.

i did, however, get a near mint copy of Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, for free. that was pretty neat.

I found Quake 2 and Quake 3: Team Arena at the same thrift store a while ago. But I didn't buy either of them.

I found a silver box of Quake III Arena in a cash converters store a few years ago. I also once found a copy of Doom 3 at the Supanova convention in 2013.

So, I definitely still have the game! It's a jewel case with the Ultimate Doom artwork, and the legitimate disc inside. Really cool find.

I saw Hexen64 (cart only) at a pawn shop a couple of years ago, but didn't consider it distinct enough from the PC version to buy it.

Here is how I got my hands on all my Doom engine game disks and the order that I received them in.

1. Doom Collectors Edition - Bought at Walmart for like $10 but lost or stolen. See below for more details.

2. Hexen: Deatkings of the Dark Citadel - CD-ROM Received from my neighbor along with a bunch of other CD-ROM and 5 1/4 floppies.

3. Hexen: Beyond Heretic - Originally copied from a friend then I found my own copy months later at the Youth Ranch for like $2.50.

4. Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders - Bought at the same Youth Ranch years later for about $2.50.

5. Doom Collectors Edition - Bought again at a pawn shop while visiting my home town for few weeks. It might have been my old copy but Oh, well.

I still have these disks to this day...

Halfblind said:

Doom Collectors Edition - Bought at Walmart for like $10

That's exactly how I ended up with my first copy of that set (I have two of them now).