Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ledillman

Alternate version of Donna to the Rescue

So several years ago I came across this version of Donna to the Rescue:

so my question is simple: is this the real version of Donna to the rescue?
if so, why was the second half played instead of the full version in the game?
if not, was this full version made only for the Doom soundtrack release?
why am I asking this just now? (answer: because of yes)

thanks.

Sounds either like some voices are missing/not playing, or the guy modified the song himself. Maybe it was an unfinished version from the MIDI dump Romero released a while back?

Wow, pretty awesome find. I like the weird feeling when instead of the familiar song, you hear something more conflictual. Maybe it should be used in a more advanced remake of E3M2.

Uhh is there some bug with topic titles that begin with "The"? I remember I made one and then a bit later a part of the title disappeared, just like what seems to have happened here.

I believe the bug happens when the thread title contains quote marks (" or ').

What about (The amazing "identify that Doom song" thread)? It uses quotes AND starts with the.

It's possible the original MIDI was too big to convert to MUS, so only one half was used? There'd certainly be precedent for this kind of stuff... The Donna mus (D_E3M2) is only 17250 bytes, though, so if you double that to 34500 bytes, you still have quite some margin before reaching the limit of 65535 bytes. Unless Prince used an earlier version of the converter that used signed shorts instead of unsigned...

Ledillman said:

So several years ago I came across this version of Donna to the Rescue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYnaeiiz-cg

so my question is simple: is this the real version of Donna to the rescue?
if so, why was the second half played instead of the full version in the game?
if not, was this full version made only for the Doom soundtrack release?
why am I asking this just now? (answer: because of yes)

thanks.

Upload, please? (or do you not have it in MIDI format?)

Quasar said:

I was told this version is off the soundtrack CD that Bobby Prince made.

Yeah, that definitely is the source. I wonder if Bobby Prince edited it just for the album. It definitely makes the song feel different.

Clonehunter said:

Tracks arranged for Quake levels?

Quake used CD music, so it's possible the Doom tracks were arranged to fit when used for the Quake soundtrack? I can't say I've tried, but it'd make Quake's soundscape very different from the mostly ambient Reznor original.

Clonehunter said:

Also, wish I could find a copy of that somewhere. It's pretty hard to find.

I got mine from Amazon, but that was fifteen years ago.

it'd be interesting to see an extension of this song to the original MIDI file. it shouldn't be hard to do at all.

Doomhuntress said:

it'd be interesting to see an extension of this song to the original MIDI file. it shouldn't be hard to do at all.

That would be cool. I love the IWAD music but tracks such as this one are too short to use. D_E1M6, D_E3M1 and D_AMPIE are some other great tracks that are just too short, just to name a few.

In fact it would be very cool if someone or many people offered to extend all the original IWAD music. I think you could get away with copy-pasting the entire thing at the end of the track and changing some keys or notes around, or adding an extra instrument. Keep it subtle and tasteful to add to the progressive nature of the music. Sounds like a cool idea for a MIDI project. :)

I'd love to see if there is a source MIDI of the entire song in the first post.

It'd be great if Prince had kept the original MIDIs and released them. Or perhaps Romero?

Clonehunter said:

Also, wish I could find a copy of that somewhere. It's pretty hard to find.

cybdmn said:

I got mine from Amazon, but that was fifteen years ago.

Judging from the Internet Archive of Bobby Prince's site, circa 1999-2001, he got annoyed with Amazon's one-click patent and started selling the CDs himself and put the songs up on mp3.com. Being a poor college student at the time, I've only ever had the 128kbps MP3s...

There is additional instrumentation, some of it non-MIDI (live performance).

Interesting...

Also, whatever happened to Prince? He seems to be one of the more enigmatic of the original devs, was he ever interviewed at all?

Jaxxoon R said:

Interesting...

Also, whatever happened to Prince? He seems to be one of the more enigmatic of the original devs, was he ever interviewed at all?

Yes, I have an interview of Bobby Prince for you!

(Unfortunately, the previous interview with his wife is no longer available, not even on archive.org.)