Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SharkLordSatan

Inspiration Difficulties

So I've been having trouble with my Halo/Doom wad. It's not with coding or anything like that, just...inspiration.

I have the first level (mostly) done, so I want to get to work on the second one since all I've been really doing is adding minor details to the first level. However I have no clue how I want it to be mapped out.

For those who are wondering, the level is supposed to play out at a UNSC base that you've been sent to after communication with it has gone eerily silent, only to find out a portal to Hell has opened up inside for whatever reason.

The only real design I have in mind is a big "parking" area where various vehicles (Warthogs and Pelicans for example, though they most likely won't be added) would go.

Also I've been having some weird issues with skyboxes. I've downloaded some but none of them seem to work except for the Doom II skybox texture (F_SKY1 i believe it was called). Is there a way to force textures to render as skybox textures or whatever?

F_SKY1 is the one and only skybox flat that the Doom engine recognizes. It is, however, not inherently tied to any particular texture - it's a special flat. It will render whatever sky texture whose name is hardcoded to the map slot of the currently played map (http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sky), or that is transferred to the sector via a MBF sky transfer (linedef actions 271 and 272 in Doom/Boom map format), or that is assigned to the map via MAPINFO in ports that support MAPINFO.

scifista42 said:

F_SKY1 is the one and only skybox flat that the Doom engine recognizes. It is, however, not inherently tied to any particular texture - it's a special flat. It will render whatever sky texture whose name is hardcoded to the map slot of the currently played map (http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sky), or that is transferred to the sector via a MBF sky transfer (linedef actions 271 and 272 in Doom/Boom map format), or that is assigned to the map via MAPINFO in ports that support MAPINFO.

Ooooh, okay. That's understandable. So how would I be able to swap sky textures for specific levels?

I've just told you, but to recap: Either find out which is the map's hardcoded sky texture name and then redefine this texture (edit its TEXTURE1 entry or just replace its patch) to use a different graphic of your choice, or put Boom sky transfers to your map that will display an arbitrary sky texture of your choice in tagged sectors with F_SKY1 flat, or make a MAPINFO entry for your map to define an arbitrary texture to become the map's default sky.

scifista42 said:

I've just told you, but to recap: Either find out which is the map's hardcoded sky texture name and then redefine this texture (edit its TEXTURE1 entry or just replace its patch) to use a different graphic of your choice, or put Boom sky transfers to your map that will display an arbitrary sky texture of your choice in tagged sectors with F_SKY1 flat, or make a MAPINFO entry for your map to define an arbitrary texture to become the map's default sky.

Alright, thanks for explaining! I probably just didn't catch catch it when you said it the first time lol