Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

is ultra nightmare any good?

I tried it for an hour last night on the first map to give it a whack. All I noticed that was any different is that health items are halved, everything seems to do 60+ damage, and there are no checkpoints, so you gotta beat the levels from start to finish without dying.

Seems like a hokey way to beef up difficulty, but then again I also forgot how comfortable I got with all my upgrades 75% of the way into the game. Its tricky to go back to single jumping and only carrying a pistol and shotgun!

I think this would be more palatable for me if the loading times weren't so long every time I die.

Same as Nightmare, but with one life for the whole game. It's not good. The only difference between playing this and playing on Nightmare deathless is presence of helmets of other people who died there. No achievements, no additional content, nothing new. So I guess it's actually not worth it.

it also cuts out the intro, so it's pretty quick to just hop in and get going. It's kinda like a speedrun mode. I personally like it. Another thing I'd like to see (something different then UNM) is the option when we die to restart a level instead of the game, it would make for an easy way to practice speedrunning levels without having to keep progress like we do on normal nightmare. I also hope they up our save slots, 3 is kinda dumb imo.

I like the idea, and when I played the original Doom, I would give myself a challenge like, "if Idie on E3M3, I will try to beat the level with no weapons" (since you don't start with all your weapons). I wish they made it so you just go back to the start of the level with no upgrades and just the shotgun. The other thing that really detures me from beating it that way is that there's no achievement no prize, nothing. So why put myself through the torture and hours? I already got the secrets in my original play through

Heh, I love listening to folks try to justify why something sucks merely because they do not admit that they themselves are the one that lack the cahones to take it on.

Same temper-tantrum and whining I've heard coming from Soul's and Bloodborne haters.

Sometimes the reward is only in knowing that you've conquered and completed... no trophy, no fame, just your own psychological achievement. Purely spiritual. No one there to congratulate you or pat you on the back. No party. Just a moment for you to say "well, that's that. All done."

Simply being "one with the game". If you watch guys who complete it on this mode, it's almost a art; a brilliant display of calculated timing, agility and acrobatics. They've transcended from simply being a gamer playing DOOM to "being" DOOM itself. Virtual gunslingers.

When you make it to the end, you'll understand. Or maybe you won't. But you'll have done it, nonetheless, and played the game to it's fullest knowing nothing in it can stop you.

"obtener buenos señores , de fregado..."

MrGlide said:

Ya, buckshot gets it. Oddly I'm also a big souls fan as well.

Everybody says the realistic difficulty modes are too difficult. Too real. Too punishing and not forgiving.

On the contratary, lol. They're VERY forgiving.

For example... Ultra Nightmare. You do get to keep restarting the game and are given infinite chances to complete it, albeit no check points or saves of course along the way, but you can infinitely reattempt until you do complete it in one sitting. It's not at all like real-life consequence of fucking up (in which you die in real life, that's it, you're done). You do get infinite second chances.

What I want? A mode where you die once... that's it. Game over. You can't play that skill mode anymore, its infinitely locked out you for the rest of time. Better yet, that's it... game over. period. entire game locks out, and you can't play anymore.

That'll teach you to really put in some practice time with the lighter modes before jumping into the only-once mode. Make sure you're a pro before even attempting it. Oh yes.

That would be really cool(besides locking the whole game out, that might be a little to far), but how would you stop people from replaying it?

MrGlide said:

That would be really cool(besides locking the whole game out, that might be a little to far), but how would you stop people from replaying it?

Key based server authentication. First, you have to complete a prerequisite difficulty mode to prove you know what you're about to get into to. If you're stats aren't good enough, you can't proceed to play the only-once mode.

Once you prove youre capble of such extreme difficulty and forfeiture of that mode if you fail to the games qualification system, you enter a key to access that mode that authenticates via master server.

Once you die, it invalidates the key, and boom... it's inaccessible forever.

You don't get an award for completing... but you do get a award if you fail. So everyone knows you fucked up permantley along with a server-side corpse marker in the game for others to see as they take their one and only shot at it. ;)

I supose, I mean there would still be ways around that (multiple accounts/keys). The more I think about it the more it just kinda seems like a waist of time. It's main function would be to lay shame on people and permenently taunt them about it. I can understand games that test your will and wits but surely there could be a better way to simulate the danger of death without totally shunning away what would be most of the player base. Once they lose, they've nothing left to work for anymore if they play by the rules. There is no reason for them to get better at that point. What if the mode would unlock again after a set amount of time?

I mean sure, they can bypass it by buying another copy of the game, but that costs money and requires a new account.

Perhaps a 30, 60, or 90 day lockout instant of permanent.

But I dunno, I think permanent would be interesting to see, also with humiliation marker & trophy.

I remember hearing about a game that was going to do exactly what we're talking about, I can't remember the name of it, I will google around for it.

Buckshot said:

Better yet, that's it... game over. period. entire game locks out, and you can't play anymore.

Might as well jump into traffic, it's more realistic.

Justince said:

It would have been more appealing had they added a method of earning another life, like completing the challenges in a map earned you another shot if you got blown away. It would still be risky, but a better payoff. I'm too fucking old and slow to enjoy the game in Ultra Nightmare.

Saving throw rune once you get it, UNM is done.

Buckshot said:

Heh, I love listening to folks try to justify why something sucks merely because they do not admit that they themselves are the one that lack the cahones to take it on.

Same temper-tantrum and whining I've heard coming from Soul's and Bloodborne haters.

Sometimes the reward is only in knowing that you've conquered and completed... no trophy, no fame, just your own psychological achievement. Purely spiritual. No one there to congratulate you or pat you on the back. No party. Just a moment for you to say "well, that's that. All done."

Simply being "one with the game". If you watch guys who complete it on this mode, it's almost a art; a brilliant display of calculated timing, agility and acrobatics. They've transcended from simply being a gamer playing DOOM to "being" DOOM itself. Virtual gunslingers.

When you make it to the end, you'll understand. Or maybe you won't. But you'll have done it, nonetheless, and played the game to it's fullest knowing nothing in it can stop you.

Excellent post, spot on. Mental challenge is all it's about, not getting a cookie for your efforts.

Loading times are not that bad. In fact i think they load quite fast. Also the mode is called ULTRA NIGHTMARE. So i guess it was made to be hard and annoying.

The maps take a few seconds to load for me, then again I have quite a beefy computer.

As for the mode itself, what Buckshot said basically. If you've beaten the game on regular Nightmare and Ultra-Nightmare isn't for you, then you'll have to use your imagination. Try a no upgrades run, a speedrun, or a semi-pacifist run where you only kill what needs to be killed in the arenas. You won't get an achievement for doing any of this, but doing them is rewarding in itself.

I haven't tried regular nightmare yet, maybe its more my cup of tea because ultra violence is beginning to feel a little tame now.

The price of death is like a full 45 seconds wait for loading the game though. That's the part that makes it kind of a drag. That's roughly the amount of time it takes for me to turn around and walk to the beginning of the map myself.

ya I deffinetly would advise regular nightmare fist. once you get used to it it feels like standard like uv on classic imo.

Champskiez103 said:

I like the idea, and when I played the original Doom, I would give myself a challenge like, "if Idie on E3M3, I will try to beat the level with no weapons" (since you don't start with all your weapons). I wish they made it so you just go back to the start of the level with no upgrades and just the shotgun. The other thing that really detures me from beating it that way is that there's no achievement no prize, nothing. So why put myself through the torture and hours? I already got the secrets in my original play through

Personal challenge?

Champskiez103 said:

It's a niche mode for the kind of people who like the permadeath mechanic in other games, or speedrunners. There's also no achievement or prize for setting artificial challenges in regular Doom, like playing everything pistol start or never saving, but people do it anyways for personal enjoyment.

Buckshot said:

LoL, what the fuck kind of reasoning is this? I don't play games for personal enlightenment. That's the kind of shit I'd expect a psychologist to say. If there's no reward, it's not worth my time. Same goes for 99% of the daily shit in my life.

And don't compare Dark Souls to this mode. That game actually rewards skill. UN will send you back to the main menu with hours wasted for nothing.

Jet1337 said:

LoL, what the fuck kind of reasoning is this? I don't play games for personal enlightenment. That's the kind of shit I'd expect a psychologist to say. If there's no reward, it's not worth my time. Same goes for 99% of the daily shit in my life.

And don't compare Dark Souls to this mode. That game actually rewards skill. UN will send you back to the main menu with hours wasted for nothing.

The reward is beating it, what don't you understand? Self-development and fulfillment.

There is no need to bash UNM because you get frustrated too quickly. I died 70+ times in NM at the first gore nest and never gave up ... There is no quit in me. Now I am progressing in UNM.

Jet1337 said:

LoL, what the fuck kind of reasoning is this? I don't play games for personal enlightenment.

I do, it calms my racing thoughts, halucinations and voices. It's why I like to play games where I actually have to think, It drowns it all out. but to each their own. So you like to fill progress bars eh? Sorry to hear that.

Yeah it seems silly to me that the object of playing on difficult settings is for the virtual trophies you get for it. I just want to get my adrenaline going.

Jet1337 said:

Jet1337, you seem to be a little angry between this thread and a couple others. Like something has you troubled. Whats up, man? Whats got you bothered?

If you've got hate in your heart, lets let it out.

I finally after two days broke my record on Ultra Nightmare mode. Finished the 3rd level then just, gonna play the 4th tomorrow. That feeling of knowing that if you screw up one tiny bit and get hit by a little tiny fireball you can lose most - if not all, of your health and that if you die you have to restart all over again is intense as shit.

During that final battle in the 3rd level my heart was beating so fast and so hard I thought I was gonna fucking die haha, basically this was me:

Would 100% recommend ultra nightmare mode if you've 100%ed the game and are looking for a greater challenge.