Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SirLaggsalot

Test Map For Feedback and Improvments

Hi, I originally posted this on Moddb but was told to post Doom stuff here so here I am. I am not too new with map building but I'm posting here to get better knowledge and know where to fix my flaws. Hopefully I get enough info to be able to make a full-on Doom campaign. This would take some time but I'm trying my best. So I encourage you to try the map and post helpful feedback. Do not just say "This sucks" instead say why it sucks or why it's good like "This is good/bad because (reasons here)" so that I can improve and hopefully make better maps for peoples enjoyment.

This was made with the ZDoom port/engine.

Here's the link to the download: http://www.moddb.com/mods/open-test-map-for-feedback/downloads/testmap2

Okay so the map was really amateurish. It definitely felt like a first map with all its quirks. But I took some screenshots to help explain whats wrong with the level.

This is a texture misalignment in the middle, to fix this you could use another texture or try harder to make sure everything is aligned. These look really newbie.

This door wasn't marked to need a key along with another switch you had that required one

This outside area looked pretty cool compared to the rest of the map but then you messed up the immersion with this:

It looks like the door disappears into the sky and this is a pretty easy fix, just look how other wads do it

This could use some better detailing but this is basically how good detail is done

ughhhhhh.. No, no BFG on map 1 its the most newbie thing you can do however the detail in that room is the best on the map. And I bet you can guess whats nexttt

Yep, no cyberdemon either please, especially with the BFG the fight is really easy and boring

Overall it was okay. You just need some more contrast with your lighting, like make the rooms darker and make it lighter where light textures are and outdoors

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

ughhhhhh.. No, no BFG on map 1 its the most newbie thing you can do however the detail in that room is the best on the map. And I bet you can guess whats nexttt

Yep, no cyberdemon either please, especially with the BFG the fight is really easy and boring

I don't see what the problem with this is to be honest. Like why can't level ones have bfgs and cyberdemons?

@sudo459
Because every single newbie map has it, I'm not saying it's an absolute no but when you get the BFG before the ssg, rocket launcher and plasma gun it's a little weird. Also I could see the BFG being used on big maps but this one is small and besides the Cyberdemon the strongest monster is one Hell Knight, it's just newbie IMO

Thanks for provided screenshots. I'll be sure to fix the mistakes I made and make sure there's no Cyber-demons and BFGs. I'll try editing the map with more areas and features (and a few secrets ;)) and post it back up here. Also this isn't supposed to be a "Level 1", it's just for show so that I can make my levels better.

Cheers, for the helpful info.

Also you use the default textures and flats everywhere. Before you even start making the map, I think it's a good practice to decide what themes and colors you want to use. Techbase? Clean techbase or grimy? A combination? Greens and browns or blues and silvers? Outdoor areas? Then make a square room that is made of 4 quadrant sectors (maybe more), and paste textures that you might want to use there. Darken and lighten some of them to see how they look in different light. Maybe make some beams and steps to test what textures you want to use on those.

When you feel like you have a good set that fits your idea, you have a convenient palette to go to.

Benjogami said:

Also you use the default textures and flats everywhere. Before you even start making the map, I think it's a good practice to decide what themes and colors you want to use. Techbase? Clean techbase or grimy? A combination? Greens and browns or blues and silvers? Outdoor areas? Then make a square room that is made of 4 quadrant sectors (maybe more), and paste textures that you might want to use there. Darken and lighten some of them to see how they look in different light. Maybe make some beams and steps to test what textures you want to use on those.

When you feel like you have a good set that fits your idea, you have a convenient palette to go to.

I second every thing he said here, it is very important to have a theme and because doom builder gives you those generic tech base textures everybody uses those for their first map and it looks very bland and generic. Also try to make less doors and make rooms more complex. For example look at E1M1 of Doom, there are only 3 doors on that map and think about the flow of it. Imagine if there was a door between every room and how monotonous that is. For example if when you took an immediate left and had to open a door before going up the stairs to get armor. That would be more boring and break up the flow. Also try to incorporate height variation such as stair cases and lofts in your maps.

Thanks, I was editing the map I posted but with all these things I suppose I should make a new map entirely! Since I'll be making a completely new map I might post it up in 2-3 days depending on how much I work on it.