Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

staring out

well i want to start doom editing, so i ask, how should i start. i am very good at editing quake games, but i have no idea about doom editing. what map editors are easy to use and learn, also which are freeware. Also what about manuals and such for making maps. i know most of what can and cant be done in doom maps. any help is good help, unless it is BS.

DCK is a good one to use. However it can only be run in DOS mode. Still, it's probably the fastest and easiest (once you get used to it) I know of.

A lot of people like to use WadAuthor. This one runs in Windows as well. As for me, I could never get used to it, mainly because it doesn't seem to have a line draw feature (DCK and DeepSea have it).

DeepSea seems to be a good one too, but I don't know much about it because the limits on the shareware version are far too low for me to use it effectively.

Ive never found anything deepsea cant do, AND its extremely easy to use. It comes with a quick tutorial on how to make rooms, to get you started, and then you can pretty much figure it out on your own.

Epyo said:

Ive never found anything deepsea cant do, AND its extremely easy to use. It comes with a quick tutorial on how to make rooms, to get you started, and then you can pretty much figure it out on your own.

I'll agree with everything you've said. Unfortunately for Sephiroth, it's not freeware. (The entire package is free for non-mapmaking features, but it has a limit on the map size one can create for free.) Fortunately for Sephiroth, it can be tried out free for getting started (which I recommend). Once he moves to larger and more complex maps, perhaps he will be convinced to buy it.

I agree with Ichor about Wadauthor. I use it sometimes but found its lack of line drawing annoying sometimes. I use the following editors:

Renegade DoomED Deluxe 2.86 (my main editor. Why? i'm a crackhead i guess)

DeePsea (this is a powerful fun editor that i like, but use only secondary to DoomED...and it has line drawing!)

WadAuthor (this is a nice editor with many features, but somtimes it goofs up my bsps saved with other editors. I use it for its prefabs, which DoomEd lacks entirely.)

so there ya go, editing advice from soomeone who has been making maps for years but is too much of doorknob to release any of them...yet ;)

If you are going to edit, then you should get some of these.

Read that page, you'll need to get a nodesbuilder, while you are there get a reject program thing.

Also, have a look in here, here and here. Look through them and you'll find some utilities that will help your map editing along.

You should probably pick up WinTex too, for graphics, music, and sound editing.