Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrDeAD1313

Classic id Software shooters bundle

Wasn't exactly sure where to post this but I thought at least a handful of folks here may find this useful.

If anyone is looking to get most of the classic library of id Software's fps games, GoG.com has a nice bundle for about $19. This bundle excludes Heretic and Hexen, probably due to them being developed by Raven Software and this seems to be more or less a Bethesda package. But if you don't have these games yet, this is a good way to start your digital collection. Here's a list of what's included:

*The Ultimate Doom
*Doom II + Final Doom
*Quake: The Offering
*Quake II: Quad Damage
*Wolfenstein 3D + Spear Of Destiny
*Return To Castle Wolfenstein

https://www.gog.com/promo/20160610_summer_bundle_bethesda_shooters

Hope this helps someone out there to get started. All of these games are great games to own. And getting them this way means you get them DRM free which is always a plus :) Enjoy!

*EDIT*
Sorry I didn't mention that it's a limited time offer. It's good until 6/22/16

As long as the classic Doom games are not the bullshit neutered BFG versions, all should be good.

All these titles are the full, final, and complete versions. The Doom IWADs are not those from Doom 3 BFG Edition.

Correct, not sure why TheNerdTurtle2 decided to show a screenshot from the BFG Edition. The GOG releases are entirely the original resources -- cross on the medikits and all.

I, too, can confirm these are the original, unadulterated IWADs. I kinda have this weird impulse to buy the originals from different stores every now and again. Hey, never know when the unexpected will happen and my hard drive, discs and steam all go down at the same time ;D

GOG is good about providing the actual original content. Very rarely do they disappoint. Sometimes to a fault. For their Space Quest and King's Quest bundles, they provide the original versions for SQ1 and KQ1 but not their remakes, while the Steam releases carried only the remakes.

Doomhuntress said:

it's a pill, probably meant to be some kind of painkiller.

It's because red cross was mad about Doom using their logo, like fuck you it's advertising

rileymartin said:

What is that, a pokeball symbol or something? They better change that before Nintendo gets mad.

Hahaha, I love Nintendo but this sounds like something they'd sue over

chungy said:

Correct, not sure why TheNerdTurtle2 decided to show a screenshot from the BFG Edition. The GOG releases are entirely the original resources -- cross on the medikits and all.

Go back and read my post I wasn't saying that the GOG versions were the BFG edition I was just making a joke about how the BFG edition is different, sorry for confusion haha

GoG galaxy is actually pretty nice so far. Very clean looking and simple to use client. Haven't tried any MP or added any friends yet and highly doubt it'll be a steam replacement anytime soon but it's very convenient for what I happen to buy from them.

rileymartin said:

What is that, a pokeball symbol or something? They better change that before Nintendo gets mad.

Cacodemon! I choose you!

I'm hoping Blake Stone goes on sale, I want it, but not quite enough to pay full price.

Thanks for the answer.
Some reviews for Quake on GoG mentioned about lack of BGM. Yet I heard that Wolf3D could be altered. That's why 'hysteria' forced me to ask. I'd love to get pure, original games.

The BGM for Quake were on Redbook audio, so in the GOG version there's an image of the CD included. If you use some sort of source port for playing Quake (I used Dark Place last time I did, but apparently it hasn't been updated in a while and is no longer hip) you'll need to extract the tracks from the CD image yourself.

Rest assured, you've got all the original data, nothing is missing. The Steam version cannot say the same thing.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

It's because red cross was mad about Doom using their logo, like fuck you it's advertising

I don't get why they didn't just recolor the cross, Red Cross doesn't have a monopoly on the shape.

MetroidJunkie said:

I don't get why they didn't just recolor the cross, Red Cross doesn't have a monopoly on the shape.

It's been discussed before here in DW:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/65836-red-cross-wants-gamers-virtually-jailed-for-war-crimes-in-realistic-war-games/

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/62584-does-the-red-cross-issue-apply-to-us/

On-topic: This is great news, I'll probably get them. Thanks for the heads-up

Thank you very much for this info. I bought this bundle few hours ago and I'm very happy with that. I only had to struggle with BGM to rip off from enclosed CD images. But anyway everything's ok.