Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arctangent

So about the music Bobby Prince ripped off ...

At this point, we all know that quite a lot of the Doom soundtrack is based on music from various metal bands - hell, it's covered on the wiki page for the soundtrack. Today, my brother made a point to actually play these songs while we were driving around, and it made me think.

What'd it be like if midi versions of those songs were made, with the same instruments as their Doom counterpart?

I'm sure most of us have run into less-than-stellar and random metal midis in various maps, but I imagine something like this would be an interesting thought. After all, you can usually hear exactly what was taken from those songs to make the Doom counterparts, and it'd be even easier if the exact instrumentation was used. I'm pretty sure the effect would be akin to making a "variant" of the Doom tracks, and it'd be interesting to see in execution.

Some of the earlier versions of the Doom soundtrack resemble their real life counterparts- Big Gun, South of Heaven...couple others too but those are the two off the top of my head.

So I went to find midis of Them Bones & Angry Chair online & turns out that pretty much every site just uses D_AMPIE & D_ADRIAN instead of making actual midi versions of the songs.

There's a midi of This Love by Pantera out there that is quite good and sounds like an extended Doom remix if you change the instruments to be the same as their Doom counterparts. A big bundle of edited MIDIs in this ilk would be pretty cool!

Jaws In Space said:

So I went to find midis of Them Bones & Angry Chair online & turns out that pretty much every site just uses D_AMPIE & D_ADRIAN instead of making actual midi versions of the songs.

Yeah, this made me laugh when I googled these songs years ago. :D

But actually a real midi of Angry Chair exists somewhere. I think glenzinho has it (if I'm spelling his nickname correctly).

i'm pretty sure that a level in Zpack had an actual MIDI rendition of Them Bones playing. it does sound a bit different; the guitars are a bit different, and a bit heavier, it has that verse which is totally absent from AMPIE, which includes the "vocals", and that solo at the end. still though, they do sound fairly familiar.

what would be interesting, is if you find MIDIs of these metal songs that Prince took the riffs from, and made a music-pack of it in Doom. at least, i'd think it would be interesting.

I still find it amusing that Bobby's background in law gave him the foresight to use just enough notes to not get sued, along with idiosyncratically arranging them in 12 bar blues progressions.

I think it was more like just a different time. Hard to imagine something like that happening today.

Piper Maru said:

Yeah just imagine if the new Doom ripped music from Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga.

"Poker face? More like smash yer face!"

Azazel Bloodfucker said:

I second this, most music today is recycled shit.

You've got to understand that, 30 years from now, 95% of today's bands will be completely forgotten about. People will remember like ten or twenty names, tops.

And then people will say "they used to have So and So, not the generic crap we have now"... It has always worked this way and it will always work this way.

Gez said:

You've got to understand that, 30 years from now, 95% of today's bands will be completely forgotten about. People will remember like ten or twenty names, tops.

And then people will say "they used to have So and So, not the generic crap we have now"... It has always worked this way and it will always work this way.

That is probably how it will be, but I can't even get myself to listen to most recent songs. I just dislike our modern music a lot, and I wish for something different.

Danfun64 said:

...why the random rick roll?

Well mainly because they were talking about how pop music was bad and I really like Rick Astley and after I put the link down I realized I'm rickrolling so I decided not to type anything else out and just rick roll