Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Unregistered account

Multiplayer Power-up ideas?

Guest Unregistered account

Do you have any ideas for new Power-ups if they appeared in a new mod or Source-port?

Here are mine:

Enemy Automap
Allows you to see enemies' positions on your Automap until you die or frag another player. Would be very tricky in Last Man Standing/Deathmatch/Duel.

ShadowSphere
In the enemies' view, all sectors' brightness levels turn to 0 and the sky is replaces with a completely black texture. Lasts for 30s.

-Would be extremely irritating in CTF, especially vertical levels (since there would be situations where you can't see the floor below you).

-Could be balanced if it didn't respawn.

Any ideas?

I think skulltag had some pretty decent ones like haste which increased your running speed and rage which allowed you to shoot faster.

Doom is very fast but hard to process so I'd definitely suggest that powerups stay very simple and sometimes subtle in the advantage they give you. Some powerups like berserk are useless in multiplayer and others like invulnerability and invisibility are super over powered.

Kapanyo said:

Do you have any ideas for new Power-ups if they appeared in a new mod or Source-port?

Here are mine:

Enemy Automap
Allows you to see enemies' positions on your Automap until you die or frag another player. Would be very tricky in Last Man Standing/Deathmatch/Duel.

ShadowSphere
In the enemies' view, all sectors' brightness levels turn to 0 and the sky is replaces with a completely black texture. Lasts for 30s.

-Would be extremely irritating in CTF, especially vertical levels (since there would be situations where you can't see the floor below you).

-Could be balanced if it didn't respawn.

Any ideas?

doom is too fast for that first idea. Second idea might be a novel gimmick at first, but then would just be hated after that. Power ups beyond health and armour are really difficult to do well without being over powered. Balancing them in a map is even harder. Even just for a romp power ups quickly make maps subpar. Skulltag maps are a prime example of op power ups.

Automap idea sucks because decay is right. Besides, there have been acs 'wallhack powerups' made for lms anyway (cyberrunner), so you don't have to use the automap.

Shadowsphere sounds terrible

Skulltag's Doomsphere (Quad Damage) and Guardsphere's 4x bonuses are just too much for doom combat with much more death going on than your average quake match. The Doomspheres + BFG10K's are a large reason deathmatch on the stock maps isn't fun. Turbosphere was decent but largely not that useful. I prefer True Invisibility over shitty Partial Invisibility, but it's again not that great. Carncode has rendered the Timefreeze Sphere's effect identical to lagging out of a server, so I can never use that. Runes aren't powerups but some of them are decent. Spread rune is overpowered as hell, prosperity is useless, and reflection is stupid.

Some people (hmm haha) tried to implement even more powerful megaspheres... Let's just say now they are a waste of a DoomEd number and a meme at best.

However the largest reason no cool new powerups are ever used is because there are no maps with them. All the 100's of deathmatch packs and maps stuck in boomilla format don't bring anything new, and Skulltag is dead. Anything new is not standardized and will vary widely dependent on the pack. This lack of standards hurts map compatibility with any gameplay mods (which actually exist and are used in Zandronum). With the more custom content in the map pack, the more likely custom mods will start to be incompatible. Difficulty settings are a cool band-aid to sort of fix this issue at least.

---

From personal experience, here are some powerups I can imagine working well in DM or already do: Stronger Armors, Double Damage, Double & Triple Defence, Regeneration, Flight (requires maps with impassible linedefs!), Rage/Double Firing Speed, Drain/Vampirism