Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

general lots plays, "Freedoom"?

https://youtu.be/YTuDlXRxdx8

There is no way this could be Freedoom, right? I commented saying that it wasn't. First of all he is using project brutality. OK... no problem... except it takes away assets from Freedoom (weapons/monsters/textures etc.) Then he said he was using high res textures. Does freedoom replace assets with Doom? Is there a texture labeled Spartan n Freedoom that replaces Doom's Spartan?

I think it's kind of a shame that he says he's playing Freedoom, but it's nothing from Freedoom. Is it possible that he's not using the Freedoom engine at all?

He is using the Freedoom Iwad, but he's using it to play Brutal Doom. Brutal Doom comes with it's own set of modified Doom sprites and sounds, which is why the monsters and decorations look like the standard Doom ones instead of the Freedoom ones.

everennui said:

I think it's kind of a shame that he says he's playing Freedoom, but it's nothing from Freedoom. Is it possible that he's not using the Freedoom engine at all?

The levels are very certainly from Freedoom, and the video's author acknowledged that. I'm not sure why you were arguing otherwise in the comments.

Also, Freedoom doesn't have an engine. It's an open content data file that may be run with compatible Doom based engines.

MrFlibble said:

The levels are very certainly from Freedoom, and the video's author acknowledged that. I'm not sure why you were arguing otherwise in the comments.

What I was, "arguing" with him about in the comments was that he calls it, "Freedoom" and then uses resources that are not part of it. The GNU liscense says that anyone can distribute Freedoom for a profit without even modifying it. Try and sell the version he is playing.

MrFlibble said:

Also, Freedoom doesn't have an engine. It's an open content data file that may be run with compatible Doom based engines.

Alright... so that sort of answers my question. Basically, Freedoom is an IWAD and relies on Boom, ZDoom etc. to play. If he is playing Freedoom then why are there loads of textures from Doom? He says he's using a HD textures pack. Okay... is it for Freedoom? How is it replacing textures?

I think it's flat out bullshit. If you don't see it, that's fine, but calling what he is playing Freedoom is a crock of shit. That should be obvious to anyone who sees it. What is Free about it? You don't have to pay for it? If I were to distribute the file that he's playing with or without monetary gain I'm sure I'd find myself with a - at the very least - cease and desist order from Id Software.

To say, "General Lotz Plays Freedoom" is completely fine with me, but if you're going to play it, then play it. Regardless of whether or not I foolishly thought that Freedoom has its own port, this is shameful. I really don't have anything against General Lotz. I just feel like this does the whole Freedoom project a huge disservice. Wouldn't it be better titled, "General Lotz plays Freedoom with Mods" at the very least?

What I can agree with, is that combining the IWAD with Brutal Doom (which in and of itself is perfectly fine of course) and calling the result FreeDoom will result in some people figuring this to be "vanilla" Freedoom. Thus there is the potential danger of misrepresenting the Freedoom project.

it's not like the viewers cant tell his using mods

I wouldn't count on it.

i was too sleep deprived when i wrote my reply. everunnui sorry for being an a-hole in my reply, i still think this is no big deal tho

DooManic said:

What I can agree with, is that combining the IWAD with Brutal Doom (which in and of itself is perfectly fine of course) and calling the result FreeDoom will result in some people figuring this to be "vanilla" Freedoom. Thus there is the potential danger of misrepresenting the Freedoom project.

I don't know if it is, "fine" in a legal sense, but I have nothing against Brutal Doom. I really am worried about Freedoom being misrepresented. I think my comment on the video does clear it up, but I would love to see him give real Freedoom a play through.

raymoohawk said:

i was too sleep deprived when i wrote my reply. everunnui sorry for being an a-hole in my reply, i still think this is no big deal tho

Been there. No worries. Thanks for the addendum.

everennui said:

I really am worried about Freedoom being misrepresented.

Well yeah, I agree that the title of the video might mislead some viewers, but the author technically has this covered because the video description says:

General Lotz is free as a bird in Freedoom.

<various like & support links>

Gameplay Mod: Project Brutality
Hud Mod: Ultimate Doom Visor
Music Mod: Doom Metal 4
Other mods: various

Besides, he pretty much accurately describes Freedoom in the video itself when he says (right at the beginning) that it comes with its own set of graphics etc, and that it is compatible with Project Brutality which he's about to play.

So there doesn't seem to be anything to worry about here.

everennui said:

What I was, "arguing" with him about in the comments was that he calls it, "Freedoom" and then uses resources that are not part of it.

In the comments, you say that the levels are not from Freedoom whereas the levels shown in the video are from the Phase 1 IWAD. It doesn't really help your cause (or Freedoom's cause) to make statements that are not accurate.

I was confused. I don't know the levels in Freedoom well enough to distinguish them with new textures.

...which I did say in the comments as well.