Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rules for thread are that you may only choose one level, explain thoroughly why you like it and it does not have to be from an IWAD.

E3M9 "Warrens" is my favorite level in all of DOOM (at least it has been for a long while). I really like how it fakes you out and makes you think your just redoing E3M1 and then suddenly a cyberdemon fight. It may be a gimmick level but it was a well executed gimmick, i loved it. Getting to this secret level with the rocket jump was interesting as well, this level is well worth it.

Valiant's Map 31, Cyberwar 7734 is my favourite map. Everything that's enjoyable about slaughter gameplay is in it and I absolutely love the visual style and MIDI choice. Despite being a long map, it never feels grindy or boring and there is full freedom of movement and various way to use the environment to your advantage. The enemies are also placed in such a way that playing monster infighting simulator is a waste of time and it's much better to go on the offensive and pump rockets into the hordes. BFG ammo is also limited and rather spread out so it's not a "hold m1 as you run circles" kind of map. I also enjoy the radsuit management aspect, similar to map 12 of Vanguard, that keeps you moving quickly in the damaging areas or sticking to higher ground.

E1M3 Toxin Refinery:

This is the level I play when I'm bored and that's mostly because it's just so fun to explore, I love Romero's maps and this one is just perfect. There are so many secrets and a good amount of action, also it's the best casual level because there isn't any super hard parts. I think I love it so much because of all my years playing Doom it probably took me 30 times of playing this map to finally get 100% secrets and kills. That fucking taunting soulsphere and that random room filled with former humans I could never find :) I love it so much

E1M4 is the worst in the episode :P

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

E1M4 is the worst in the episode :P

Them fightin' words. I'd say E1M6 is the worst. That cross-shaped room maze is annoying.

E2M4 Deimos Lab. I just can't get enough of the atmosphere and unique design, and it's a fun map from pistol-start that has some fun PG'ing. I even just did a redux of it, just because.

I'm surprised at people still dropping IWAD levels here, considering how there are so many high quality PWAD maps out there to choose from.

rileymartin said:

I'm surprised at people still dropping IWAD levels here, considering how there are so many high quality PWAD maps out there to choose from.

I find it strange that my own choice was an IWAD, it just feels more memorable than any PWAD's I have played and there are some amazing PWAD's out there.

Azazel Bloodfucker said:

E3M9 "Warrens" is my favorite level in all of DOOM (at least it has been for a long while). I really like how it fakes you out and makes you think your just redoing E3M1 and then suddenly a cyberdemon fight. It may be a gimmick level but it was a well executed gimmick, i loved it. Getting to this secret level with the rocket jump was interesting as well, this level is well worth it.

This. And strangely, I only discovered it yesterday! It really got me confused, thinking"did I do something wrong here? Its just E3M1." Its kinda like E3M1b(get it?).

E1M3/E3M9 are my favourite levels(sorry, can't pick one, they're both amazing)

Doom 1 -- E2M7. I didn't remember that one too good, until I played a co-op game of E2 with someone, and then I just realized that E2M7 is plain awesome. E2M2 is not much worse.
Of the PWADs: probably Vrack 1, UAC_DEAD and Cyberdreams MAP31.

E2M2 Containment Area....

The music is creepy and atmospheric. The level is kinda confusing and scary IMHO. It really encapsulates the whole demonic invasion is happening thing, and it's pretty cool IMHO!

My favorite level for sure... and probably the best level as well. :3

Scythe MAP08

I like the greenwar vibe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

E3M9 from udoom is lame, yes, the gimmick is great but it's poorly executed.
You think you exited? No here's a cyber, but wait, here's an invulnerability and now it's the most boring and useless boss ever that just wastes your time, the baron encounter is boring too, like I haven't killed a lone baron in a square room before.
The spectre encounter is pretty useless too because it has an invulnerability too, to turn it into another useless encounter.
The final trap is just a ripoff from wolfenstein.

I dare to say E3M1 is better than E3M9.

joe-ilya said:

Scythe MAP08

I like the greenwar vibe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

E3M9 from udoom is lame, yes, the gimmick is great but it's poorly executed.
You think you exited? No here's a cyber, but wait, here's an invulnerability and now it's the most boring and useless boss ever that just wastes your time, the baron encounter is boring too, like I haven't killed a lone baron in a square room before.
The spectre encounter is pretty useless too because it has an invulnerability too, to turn it into another useless encounter.
The final trap is just a ripoff from wolfenstein.

I dare to say E3M1 is better than E3M9.

It was an easy level but why are secret levels supposed to be hard? I was fine with it being a freebie. But yes I do agree fighting cybie and the spectres without the invulnerability sphere would be more fun.

Infested, map 5 from 1monster megawad. The only enemies are pinkydemons, which makes this map pretty easy, the map itself has some really cool and unusual design choises. This map also has like million barrels, which is always cool!

ChekaAgent said:

Infested, map 5 from 1monster megawad. The only enemies are pinkydemons, which makes this map pretty easy, the map itself has some really cool and unusual design choises. This map also has like million barrels, which is always cool!

For whatever reason I am not a huge fan of this level, but I do love the midi version of Zombie that plays in the background :) I never quite played through all of 1monster, but I love Map02 with the shotgun guys

^^ Yeah, i really like that midi, too. One of the best, imo.
Also, map with sergeants is 3rd map, not 2nd, but that's just a nitpick.. It, too, has a really cool music, and i, too, like this map very much!

Piper Maru said:

E1M7: Computer Station

Would have said this, it's definitely a well crafted all round but I dunno, it doesn't have a part that particularly stands out. Just like a longer version of E1M1 with more monsters.

Can I also say that I love HacX 2.0's MAP16 (Protean Cybex). I know its not Doom, but I like it.

MAP02: The Terraformer from Doom 64.
It really showcased Doom 64's scripting, via the Digging mechanism, and the overall atmosphere was spot on.
I love the dimly lit room near the opening area with the red light arrows. The Crusher traps were also ingenious (and sadistic). I guess I love "Fuck you player!" traps.

jazzmaster9 said:

MAP02: The Terraformer from Doom 64
It really showcased Doom 64's scripting, via the Digging mechanism, and the overall atmosphere was spot on.
I love the dimly lit room near the opening area with the red light arrows. The Crusher traps were also ingenious (and sadistic). I guess I love "Fuck you player!" traps.

Is that the map with those 4 spinning cylinders, that smash on the floor so that it "breaks"? Amazing level.

About those "FU Player" trap, there's only one that truly is FU: an inescapable pit with ISAMM textures.

And 90% of this thread is IWAD levels again... Do y'all even PWAD?

Gonna have to give another shoutout to Map 30, Haunting Dreams, of Scythe 2 then. Phenomenal slaughtermap with nice visuals, perfect midi choice and the great idea of connecting the whole megawad together by visiting iconic locations from previous episodes. The pacing and difficulty is just right, compared to the "too long; didn't play" map 30 of the original Scythe. One of the best wad closers of all time.

Voros said:

About those "FU Player" trap, there's only one that truly is FU: an inescapable pit with ISAMM textures.

There is a map later in Doom 64 where, after you kill all the monsters in the exit room, A huge portion of the floor drops to an inescapable lava pool.

rileymartin said:

And 90% of this thread is IWAD levels again... Do y'all even PWAD?

Gonna have to give another shoutout to Map 30, Haunting Dreams, of Scythe 2 then. Phenomenal slaughtermap with nice visuals, perfect midi choice and the great idea of connecting the whole megawad together by visiting iconic locations from previous episodes. The pacing and difficulty is just right, compared to the "too long; didn't play" map 30 of the original Scythe. One of the best wad closers of all time.

Agreed. Scythe 2 Map01 is also pretty excellent. I played through that level while listening to Diablo music (I muted the MIDI music and listened to Diablo music instead) and HOLY SHIT IT FITS SO WELL!

Actually, Diablo music fits Scythe 2 surprisingly well. Seriously listen to the Diablo 1, 2, and 3 soundtrack while playing through Scythe 2 and you'll be surprised at how well it actually blends with the levels. =3

Deus Vult, level 5. Insane, beautiful, memorable, with just the right level of detail. Also amazing in coop. I'm surprised it was not already listed.