Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
barehoes

Monster ambushing via teleporting in Doom Builder 2

Ok so you know how sometimes you enter a seemingly empty room and after walking over a linedef a monster instantly teleports? Yeah I'm trying to do that but I ran into some problems. Firstly I am not talking about using the "peephole" method as I do know how to do that. I am referring to cases where there are dummy sectors that are not attached to the playable portion of the map which hold the monster, then raising the floor for the monster to walk over and teleport. See 1Monster map 18 Knightmire. A Hell knight teleports onto the circle blood fountain thingy instantly after triggering a linedef. I looked at the map in Doom builder and I see that the monster sector and the sector he teleports in are connected(they both highlight yellow when i hover the mouse over 1 of them in sector mode). How are they connected when the monster sector is literally not anywhere close to the room or even the map? The lines do not visually connect sector to sector yet they are the same. How do I do this?

You can connect separate sectors like that with the Join Sectors function in DB2/GZDB. I believe the default hotkey for that is 'J', but you can go to 'Sectors > Join Sectors' and do it that way too.

Basically what's happening is your connecting the play area or spawn location in a way that the sounds travel to the monsters inside of the containing sector. That way they can wake up and be active and then teleport in when you need them to. So in order for it to work properly, you need to select the play area/spawn location first, then select the monster containment sector(s), and then finally join them. The first selected sector transfers its properties to the subsequently selected sectors when you join them. You also need to make sure the monsters aren't flagged to ambush players ('deaf' in DB2).

Note that a "feature" was introduced into GZDB a couple revisions ago that automatically un-joins sectors whenever you draw new geometry in or adjacent to them. So if your teleport traps are suddenly not working anymore make sure the sectors are still joined (and join them again if necessary).

boris said:

a "feature" ... that automatically un-joins sectors whenever you draw new geometry in or adjacent to them.

I hope it's just an unintended bug or side effect of some other change and will be reverted to normal soon.

scifista42 said:

I hope it's just an unintended bug or side effect of some other change and will be reverted to normal soon.

It's intended. See http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=914557#p914557 and the following discussion. Doesn't look like it will be reverted. Bad decision IMO, since from my point of view the disadvanatages outweigh the advanatges.

boris said:

It's intended. See http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=914557#p914557 and the following discussion.

I can't trust my eyes, it looks like MaxEd doesn't acknowledge the existence (or maybe just relevance, but still!) of joined sector based tricks such as sound propagation to teleport closets or (instant or gradual) floor/ceiling movement to a height given by other sector's height. That's what I believe is the primary reason why mappers join sectors in the first place, and it's reasonable to expect that the sectors will stay joined after doing so - they totally should stay joined.

I haven't done any mapping in a while, and indeed it does look like MaxEd changed up how joined sectors behave if you draw new sectors next to them. It's a pretty bad move in my opinion, so I'm going to bring it up in the GZDB thread over at ZDoom.

Also GZDB now again removes "unneeded" textures that are actually needed, such as steps of staircases that will rise at some point. Or so it was the last time I updated in May or so.

Mechadon said:

so I'm going to bring it up in the GZDB thread over at ZDoom.

Yeah good luck with that, seems once MaxED gets a "feature" in mind he tries his damnedest to disregard any distaste for it. I'm honestly shocked he finally removed the "Replace unused textures" checkbox that did nothing but periodically confuse people throughout the 3 months of its existence when they were suddenly not allowed to texture linedefs.