Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Quake Champions

Massive disappointment. They're pulling another Quake 3... MP-focused bullshit. They really should've done a Quake 1 or 2 successor.

BluePineapple72 said:

PC exclusive I believe he just said

This sounds good, I also heard Tim focused a bit on skill, I hope this is good but it is wayyyy to early to tell.

It's Quake, so I'm gonna remain hopeful until we see some gameplay footage at least. Plus, I'm still riding the Doom 2016 high.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

The character design is more Gears inspired than reminiscent of Quake Arena

What would you expect Quake 3 models to look like when they are translated into a higher fidelity engine? The models looked good.

wheresthebeef said:

What would you expect Quake 3 models to look like when they are translated into a higher fidelity engine? The models looked good.

I'm talking about aesthetics, not the fidelity of the avatar. The Quake Arena models had a lithe design, inspired by the Aeon Flux cartoon among other things. What was shown was here were lumbering bruisers, very much the opposite aesthetic of the older game. Whether or not they look good is a matter of opinion of course, but to me the new models are boring and look like they could have been taken from World of Warcraft or Gears of War or any other genero art style of the day.

I'm trying not to be disappointed, but I am.

We go from DOOM 2016, to pretty much Quake 3 having a squeal when Quake 1 needs some love too.

Maybe I should've expected it, I knew they were gonna announce something Quake-related, but not Quake 3 related.

Ah well, guess we'll have to wait another year or two, or just play Quake in the DarkPlaces engine and call that a reboot.

Having not really expected a new Quake, I'm honestly excited for a new Quake title, just to see that style and those characters return. The lack of a singleplayer maybe disappointing, but as I never set my expectations there, I don't have the "luxury" of being let down.

Bring on Quake Champions. Let the Hype begin.

(Though with that said, I honestly thought a new Keen game was coming when I saw that in the opening sequence).

Basically, I wasn't expecting anything Quake-related to begin with. So I guess I'm just cool with having something new.

I'm guessing we'll have a new singleplayer game eventually. But a new multiplayer doesn't seem so bad to have. And it's not like Quake Live is going anywhere, so I don't feel any reason to be upset.

Wonder why they decided to go PC only? It seems like they would lose a lot of sales going that route.

julz_d said:

Wonder why they decided to go PC only? It seems like they would lose a lot of sales going that route.

*spins around firing supersoakers full of Mountain Dew*

PEE CEE MASTURRACE

Maybe I should be excited, but I'm more of a single-player man, and if they ever made an Quake 1 reboot or even a continuation to the game, then I would've been pissing my pants in excitement.

Maybe I'm just a Quake 1 fanboy, dunno. Just as long as they got Trent Reznor working on the soundtrack, then I'm a happy camper.

julz_d said:

Because the speed, fov & control of Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tourney are just far more intense than what a console gamepad is really capable of.

It's esport arena fps, which just feels akward and out of place on consoles.

I remember trying to play quake 3 on dream cast and ps2 with the gamepad, and oh my, it was terrible.

Buckshot said:

Because the speed, fov & control of Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tourney are just far more intense than what a console gamepad is really capable of.

It's esport arena fps, which just feels akward and out of place on consoles.

I remember trying to play quake 3 on dream cast and ps2 with the gamepad, and oh my, it was terrible.

I have to disagree because I actually have quake on Xbox 360 and the controls may not be as precise but they're definitely not bad. Controls are definitely not unusable. I'm used to playing on a controller anyway. I do agree with the PS2 game pad would suck and dreamcast etc. my point is from a business perspective why would you eliminate such a large potential of sales just based on that? It doesn't make sense financially.

I just tried to play Quake 1 on N64 for a few minutes to test out the new controllers I bought and wow, I forgot how much of a burden using a controller for that could be.

Granted, it is the N64 controller.

Yeah the N64 controller is a bit difficult with that single analog. Playing FPS was a chore

Ok, well there should be a metric ton of gore. Quake 3 was notable for gibs. If they're going for PC only, they should go all out with the blood and guts spraying off people as they lose health, not just red puffs that disappear

Everything is OK, Quake is about multiplayer and always been.

I pretty sure, it must be not Overwatch with gibs or something like that. FPS games with classes is modern trend and it's not bad at all.