Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Quake Champions

The co-developer, Saber Interactive, has only made games in the score range of 20-70 points on Metacritic, excluding their assistance in Halo games. Their latest game, Halo Online, which was exclusive to Russia, seems to be in some state of Limbo.

So for the second time in a row, Id has outsourced the multiplayer to developers primarily involved in Halo games. I have no hope for this.

The announcement of this is just more proof that you people are fucking impossible to please.

What?

It seems cool, reminds something like a Quake 3 Arena Remastered Edition game. Ok.

But Quake 1 really needs some love too.

New Quake game and it's like Quake 3 no less? Consider me interested.

Except that it's Skill-based .
Speaking of that, comments on youtube already popped out calling it an Overwatch copy.

The Civ said:

The announcement of this is just more proof that you people are fucking impossible to please.

It looks cool, but we haven't had a sequel to Quake 1 since that game first came out, we need a TRUE sequel to the Quake series, not that Quake II we got that literally turned the series into a generic Sci-fi shooter.

Before QC: "we need more afps why doom isnt afps there are so litle afps available we want afps!!!!!!"

After QC: "oh another afps? ur so unoriginal give us someting else!!!!!!!"

Some food for thouhgt: the fact this will be a class based MP game almost guarantees that there will be load outs rather than weapon spawns. Because if you pick a class but still have to get weapons to make that class effective, that would really undermine the whole idea of choosing a class in the first place.

J.B.R said:

I'm guessing the reason they are making this MP pc exclusive game is because almost no one plays QL.

I stopped playing Quake Live when they cancelled the free service. But I head the impression it is still very popular?

Anyways, a Quake 3 Arena sequel could be cool if done right. Maybe this time even with a decent background story, maybe something like Running Man (1987)? And not some lazy crap like "the Vadrulgonigar selected the most powerful warriors from all id franchises, now fight to death in the arenas!"

Glaice said:

Another arena FPS..

Pass.

Another? When was the last time a very popular arena shooter came out recently?

Tetzlaff said:

maybe something like Running Man (1987)? And not some lazy crap like "the Vadrulgonigar selected the most powerful warriors from all id franchises, now fight to death in the arenas!"

Isn't that just kind of the same thing but with a corporation instead of a magic geoblo monster?

TheGamePhilosophe said:

Some food for thouhgt: the fact this will be a class based MP game almost guarantees that there will be load outs rather than weapon spawns. Because if you pick a class but still have to get weapons to make that class effective, that would really undermine the whole idea of choosing a class in the first place.

I have a feeling there will be a lot to the game. The backlash that Doom has gotten/is getting over the loadouts and limitations of the MP portion outta be lesson enough to id to do this right. Especially considering it looks to be taking after Quake 3 which is an arena shooter through and though.

PureSlime said:

I just tried to play Quake 1 on N64 for a few minutes to test out the new controllers I bought and wow, I forgot how much of a burden using a controller for that could be.

Granted, it is the N64 controller.

I always change the setup to something really funky and it works for me :)

Jaxxoon R said:

Isn't that just kind of the same thing but with a corporation instead of a magic geoblo monster?

That's like saying Robocop is kind of the same like Dick Tracy but with a cyborg.

Also in Running Man the gouvernment is hosting the gladiator games, not an evil corporation.

The Civ said:

Fuckin' a-right, we are. And it kills me.

TBH I think this could be cool. Q3 on the PS2 experimented with different character abilities as early as 2001, albeit simple stats such as speed, strength, defence, etc so this isn't really anything new. All I hope for is a decent SP campaign, even if it is just a series of tiers like QAA on the 360.

And, yeah that chick is totally Mynx. It's been almost 20 years, she's probably hit the dye :P

I'm a little bummed that it's not Quake 5 or Quake 1 related, But an arena shooter is welcomed by me as well.

Tetzlaff said:

That's like saying Robocop is kind of the same like Dick Tracy but with a cyborg.

Also in Running Man the gouvernment is hosting the gladiator games, not an evil corporation.

Well it is kind of true, some force arranges people to fight for entertainment. I just don't see how a Running Man story could explain why there are aliens and Ranger and people from other id IPs fighting each other. And yeah, I got it confused for ICS.

Hi everyone, my name is Norm. I like Quake and I like arena shooters.

I'll be buying this game because a Quake arena shooter sounds good to me.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

That's not necessarily true at all, especially since they never said it was class based. Characters just have extra abilities, which may not even relate directly to weapons.

For example, the trailer showed Ranger teleporting. That's not weapon or loadout related at all. He can still pick up weapons on the map and then teleport as much as he wants.

Lol some of you guys are CLUELESS. They are testing the grounds. Quake Champions is going to be a "half price" game, like 30$. They want to see if people is more interested in Single Player games (Doom 2016) or MP focused (Quake Champions /Remastered Quake 3).

If Quake Champions sell more copies than Doom 2016, then their Next AAA game is going to be MP focused and used to get more people to QuakeCon making it more competitive ($$).
If Quake Champions flops, then their next AAA title will be SP focused with a cheap MP, like Doom 2016.

Quake Champions is not a bad idea.

I had a lot of fun with Q3A and QuakeLive, so this is very exciting to me. Something about the style bugs me, though. Doesn't seem as angry or gothic as it once was.

DooM_RO said:

He's morphing into Dr. Betruger.

ROFL!!!! THAT WAS PURE GOLD!! SOMEONE BUY THIS LAD A BEER!!!! LOL!!!! Am I the only one who had a laugh after reading that??!!!

GoatLord said:

I had a lot of fun with Q3A and QuakeLive, so this is very exciting to me. Something about the style bugs me, though. Doesn't seem as angry or gothic as it once was.

It's a just as colorful as Q3, if anything, a little less colorful.
And the one area they showed in the trailer was pure Q1 gothic.

julz_d said:

Wonder why they decided to go PC only? It seems like they would lose a lot of sales going that route.

Everyone was bitching about Doom's MP. This seems like a remedy for skill based MP.

Wild Dog said:

Lol some of you guys are CLUELESS. They are testing the grounds. Quake Champions is going to be a "half price" game, like 30$. They want to see if people is more interested in Single Player games (Doom 2016) or MP focused (Quake Champions /Remastered Quake 3).

If Quake Champions sell more copies than Doom 2016, then their Next AAA game is going to be MP focused and used to get more people to QuakeCon making it more competitive ($$).
If Quake Champions flops, then their next AAA title will be SP focused with a cheap MP, like Doom 2016.

That's pure speculation--nothing more, nothing less. Unless, of course, you have actual sources (highly doubtful).

For all we know, it could very well be $60 just like Battlefront and Overwatch.

chubz said:

it could very well be $60 just like Battlefront and Overwatch.

Overwatch is $40 dough .

Doom is Doom and Quake is Quake.

I don't understand people who loved singleplayer in any Quake game. It's something really weak if we compare it to Blood, DN3D, SW or, especially, another true 3D FPS masterpiece Half-Life. IMHO.