Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

The demo version of Doom 2016 will be available for the next week

Starting tonight, as they mentioned during the press conference of E3 2016, the demo version of Doom 2016 will be available on Steam, PS4, and XBox one. You can try the first level of Doom in the demo version. It's a limited offer, though. The demo version will be available for the next week.

EDIT: For those who want to play the demo version on Steam, Click Here.

Remember when we had demos a month before release that included both SP and MP content and not timed demos one month after release?

I find the demo to be rather quaint, since I don't see id gaining much from its existence now that the game's out and the lion's share of people who would've bought the game already have. Other than good PR, that is. Over all it's a cute throwback to the shareware days.

By the way, has anyone else noticed how the demo uses the reverse sleeve art?

Jaxxoon R said:

By the way, has anyone else noticed how the demo uses the reverse sleeve art?

tbh I keep forgetting that isn't the actual front cover art

Not the greatest demo, but coming from Id, I guess it is better than nothing. I wish MachineGames could have done the same for Wolfenstein: The New Order.

At least, now I know what to expect from Doom 2016's gameplay.

well, the demo runs fine for me, at least. totally worth the 1700 dollars dropped on my desktop, in that case.

edit: i've went ahead and found a PC copy of the Collector's Edition in a store, which i snagged. i wanted that Revenant statue, what can i say?

rileymartin said:

Remember when we had demos a month before release that included both SP and MP content and not timed demos one month after release?

I remember when I bought a printed magazine that had a harddisk in it, with demos/shareware.

I remember when they switched to CD-ROMs, and every two weeks, I tried all the demos if they worked on my machine, and basically got hours of gameplay out of that (and I even bought some games from money I earned while going to school).

I remember a certain (might be a German thing) CD-ROM distributed via magazines that had all kinds of professional software plus full versions of games on it, but you needed to buy a key (via phone) for each of them to use it, and of course those keys got cracked within days, and you suddenly had everything you ever dreamt of on your machine (untraceable).

I remember (and used) the b: drive at my first PC.

The more I remember, the more I notice how old I am.

Thanks for that. :P

I think that they don't want crackers to get their hands on a non denuvo version of Doom.
So far they have done a nice Job preventing people for pirating Doom

I Feel like this demo was a bad move anyways, People are judging game difficulty by playing the first level only .

Not really. Once you get used to the controls and game mechanics, the demo level is quite easy, even on Nightmare.

I would say it is about as hard as playing E1M1 with Brutal Doom on Black Metal difficulty.

The only thing I could not figure out on my own was the Doom II secret area.

THIS GAME IS AWESOME!!!!!! *gushes about Doom 2016 for the next hour straight*

But seriously though, I'm in love with this game. It's probably one of the best Doom games besides the Classics. Really awesome! :D

I had doubts but it's awesome! :D

Graphics are cutting-edge and really sharp!

Gameplay is fast-paced! REALLY FAST-PACED! And you know something? It's refreshing in this modern era. I love it!

The glory kills don't get old, it's really awesome!

EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME IS JUST AWESOME!

My review so far? 11/10 must play! :D

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Not really. Once you get used to the controls and game mechanics, the demo level is quite easy, even on Nightmare.

I would say it is about as hard as playing E1M1 with Brutal Doom on Black Metal difficulty.

The only thing I could not figure out on my own was the Doom II secret area.

are you going completely crazy now? you think I've forgot you haven't even played this game?

Deatheye said:

are you going completely crazy now? you think I've forgot you haven't even played this game?

I think you've (deliberately?) forgot what this thread is about. ;)

And before you ask, no, the demo has not changed my mind about the game. Having beaten it at least three times - twice on Nightmare - already, I stand by my earlier statements: gameplay's alright, but everything else is just meh... Nothing to write home about and, in its current state, definitely not worth $60.

Might be worth picking up once it drops below $20, though.

You only killed some imps and possessed with a pistol and a shotgun and you think you know something about the game/gameplay

but that's ok, as long as you don't annoy us with your.. let's call it prejudiced opinion anymore it's fine

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Might be worth picking up once it drops below $20, though.

Well you're gonna have to wait for .... like ... 7 years .

Deatheye said:

You only killed some imps and possessed with a pistol and a shotgun and you think you know something about the game/gameplay

That is the point of a demo, is it not?

Unless of course you think no gamer should ever judge a game for the way it looks and sounds and plays...

but that's ok, as long as you don't annoy us with your.. let's call it prejudiced opinion anymore it's fine

Since you have been a complete asshole, I shall continue to "annoy" you with my opinions whenever I feel like they are relevant to the subject at hand. ;)

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Well you're gonna have to wait for .... like ... 7 years.

All the more reason to be in no hurry, then! ^_^

If Id Software does not want my money, I will be happy not to give them.

Deatheye said:

The exact point of a demo is to let you play the game and form an opinion of it.

Circa 1993 I don't recall anyone saying "So you only played the first 9 levels, and killed former humans, imps, demons, specters, and baron's of hell, using the pistol, shotgun, chainsaw, chaingun, and rocket launcher, and you think you know something about the gameplay."

No, nobody said that, because the original Doom demo actually let you play the game. It gave you a very concrete idea of what the gameplay was like. The 2016 demo is incredibly short, and for myself the game felt incomplete and boring. The sounds are muted, the enemies look the same, the color and level design is flat. It in no way makes me want to buy the game.

So either according to you, I shouldn't judge the game based on the demo; which to me is the entire point of a demo. Or I should take the demo at face value and move on, because Doom 2016 has nothing to offer me. I love Doom, that's why I'm still playing it 23 years later, and I was really hoping iD would surprise me with Doom 2016, but if they can't even release an enjoyable demo then I'm going to pass.

Jello said:

The exact point of a demo is to let you play the game and form an opinion of it.

the thing is, the game feels totally different in the mid/lategame

the classics kinda always feel the same so it's fine

I tried the DOOM demo and lo and behold performance was very smooth on my rig!! (....on the lowest graphics settings, of course) I was pleasantly surprised. I guess I could have picked it up when GreenManGaming had that 20% off coupon...oh well. Can't believe it ran so well. When I first ran it the game was dropping massive frames AND moving in slow motion. The second time I booted up later tonight was like a dream. So much better of an experience than the beta.

My setup, for those who may be worried about their own rig's performance:

i7 2600k 3.4GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
EVGA nVidia GTX 460 1GB (PCI-e 2.0)
1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

I was getting an unwavering 60fps (it seemed like, anyway), on lowest graphics settings. I could probably even stand to up it a little.

MusicallyInspired said:

I tried the DOOM demo and lo and behold performance was very smooth on my rig!! (....on the lowest graphics settings, of course) I was pleasantly surprised. I guess I could have picked it up when GreenManGaming had that 20% off coupon...oh well. Can't believe it ran so well. When I first ran it the game was dropping massive frames AND moving in slow motion. The second time I booted up later tonight was like a dream. So much better of an experience than the beta.

My setup, for those who may be worried about their own rig's performance:

i7 2600k 3.4GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
EVGA nVidia GTX 460 1GB (PCI-e 2.0)
1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

I was getting an unwavering 60fps (it seemed like, anyway), on lowest graphics settings. I could probably even stand to up it a little.

you could play this game on ultra with a better GPU (GPUs up to the GTX 980 don't get bottlenecked by the PCI-e 2.0 x16 port), amazing your 460 can handle this game though lol

I had planned on upgrading before purchasing (my 460 is 6 years old now). Was setting my sights on at least a 970 or possibly the new AMD RX 480, whichever my pocket can handle when the time comes. Anything would be a huge step up for me right now, though, so I'm not picky.

This demo is not a serious attempt to give people a taste of the game. It's a calculated ploy to try and get the game's name out there during E3 week and have websites write up stories about the game returning to its "shareware roots" or whatever (uh huh, right).

* A real demo would not be a limited-time offering, because that defeats the purpose. So if someone wants to try the game next week, or in a month, or a year, oh well? No chance for a sale there?
* Only including the first level, which is a linear, glorified tutorial with 2 weapons and like 3 enemies, shows that they're not serious about letting people see what the game is really like. A real demo, actually released for the purpose of letting potential audience see what the game is like, would at least include the first two levels, or failing that, have that single available level be level 2 or 3, which are better representations of what the overall game is like.

It's become an article of faith in the game industry that game demos don't increase sales, and they might even DECREASE sales. Bethesda is perfectly aware of this, and they never release demos for games, so why this? Even if this is better thought of as a "tech demo" - giving people a chance to see if it will even run on their PC at all - why is it limited to just one week only? The whole thing reeks of a cynical PR stunt.

So, by the whole week do they mean just the week or the week and the weekend, cos I wont be able to access my good computer until Saturday or Sunday.