Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

DOOM to get a official VR edition, amongst other goodies...

Looks like it's the ultimate middle finger to Oculus, but Bethesda announced not only a VR edition of DOOM 2016, but Fallout 4 as well for Oculus's biggest competitor... the HTC/Valve Vive.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-and-doom-vr-versions-announced/1100-6440743/

There was a time were Oculus swore up and down that they had partnered with Id software (when it was just basically Carmack alone) and were going to make a official DOOM 3 VR edition (which was unofficially added using the later DOOM 3 Bfg edition), but Bethesda swears there was never actually a deal to do such, and though they had some collaboration with them for technical advice, Oculus stole some of their in-design VR ip along with collaborating with Carmack against Bethesda's approval. After Carmack left Bethesda to join Oculus, shortly followed by Facebook acquiring the VR startup group for $2 billion... Bethesda called foul and brought Oculus to court to prove their ill intent.

That left many of us VR enthusiasts believing that Bethesda wouldn't be so quick to venture to the VR scene, and the legal shenanigans would mean no support for years to come (if ever) for any id game.

Welp, it's a good news day. Not only are they doing so, but they've teamed up with the oculus competition, and (imo) a better VR platform.

Also, they added in mention of huge updates and additions coming to DOOM's multiplay component, but more importantly, massive additions to snapmap, such as sky boxes, out door area templates, and hell templates & objects

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/doom-at-e3-2016-demo-free-updates-and-premium-dlc/2016/06/12/137

Exciting times! =D

Yeah some good new tonight I'd say. Though I'm a bit concerned with a class-based Quake :-\

Thanks for the links btw :D

I don't like all this drama and userbase division. IMO if they're doing VR they should support both Vive and Oculus.

Orchid87 said:

I don't like all this drama and userbase division. IMO if they're doing VR they should support both Vive and Oculus.

Yeah, the stupid walled garden Oculus started (instead of working together with Valve/HTC on OpenVR, as they did at the beginning) is the biggest threat to VR in general. There are many games not available for Oculus based on SteamVR/OpenVR currently simply because they need roomscale VR (which should be available to Oculus as soon as they get the motion controllers).

I hate this "exlusive" stuff regarding VR, they (Oculus) are shooting themselves in the foot IMHO.

Then again, regarding id/Zenimax/Oculus, it's quite a different story ;)

Now everyone with overly-expensive VR headsets and controls can vomit projectiles faster than a Cacodemon.

Was hoping that Id would release the source code, but they think we're fucking retards and can't mod so they just throw in more snap map bullshit. Thanks Id.

Jet1337 said:

Was hoping that Id would release the source code, but they think we're fucking retards and can't mod so they just throw in more snap map bullshit. Thanks Id.

Are you retarded? The game is only a month old! id usually releases source codes of their games 4-5 years after the initial release.

Jet1337 said:

"It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear to be a fucking retard than open it and remove all doubt."

Orchid87 said:

Are you retarded? The game is only a month old! id usually releases source codes of their games 4-5 years after the initial release.

I don't give a shit how long it's been out. Doom has been around as long as it has because of modding. Devs these days like to control what we do in their games. Fuck them. They're limiting our creativeness. Who the fuck wants to play a shitty recreation of E1M1 in snap map when you can make it yourself from the ground up?

Jet1337 said:

I don't give a shit how long it's been out. Doom has been around as long as it has because of modding. Devs these days like to control what we do in their games. Fuck them. They're limiting our creativeness. Who the fuck wants to play a shitty recreation of E1M1 in snap map when you can make it yourself from the ground up?

You have absolutely no clue about software development, game development, intellectual property, copyrights and modding.

tuo said:

You have absolutely no clue about software development, game development, intellectual property, copyrights and modding.

You sound like a zombie believing everything you ever hear to be the truth. There's a reason why people like you don't amount up to anything because you don't do anything. Some day someone or a group will reverse engineer the shit out of this game and will enable real modding. Hopefully that'll tell Id something.

Jet1337 said:

You sound like a zombie believing everything you ever hear to be the truth. There's a reason why people like you don't amount up to anything because you don't do anything. Some day someone or a group will reverse engineer the shit out of this game and will enable real modding. Hopefully that'll tell Id something.

Just explain to me why you need the source code for modding.

The Civ said:

DOOM's VR supports Vive, right?

Yes. (you can actually play it already using a Vive via an injector. Works remarkably well).

BTW: reading the coverage on different VR sites, it seems like only Fallout 4 will be the complete game in VR, and Doom might only be an "experience" (aka VR demo), is that true?

id Tech 5 and up will never be open source. They are heavily integrated with proprietary 3rd party components including a patented Microsoft image compression library, sound library, etc. Stop waiting on it, it won't happen.

Quasar said:

id Tech 5 and up will never be open source. They are heavily integrated with proprietary 3rd party components including a patented Microsoft image compression library, sound library, etc. Stop waiting on it, it won't happen.

This is one of the major points regarding licensing. And we don't know the contracts regarding Certain Affinity and [the company who's name I forgot that did SnapMap].

What many people obviously fail to understand (but state nonetheless, and that's why I fight such wrong statements before people take them as the truth) is that you don't need the source code of a game/engine to mod it. And I am not talking about reverse engineering. That's why I said that whoever proclaims that (especially in that way) has no clue about software development.

An existing, documented API is all you need, and it will allow exactly what the creator of the software wants you to do. Currently, the only documented API we have is SnapMap (the logic chains), which - to be very honest - is a very, very, very basic API.

If iD wants us to mod the new Doom, they will release mod tools and maybe even an API which we can develop custom code for. Looking at what they already do to keep Doom fresh and up with the community, I wouldn't even rule it out as much is I did couple of weeks ago, but I still think it won't happen soon.

Then again attacking/insulting a game developer for not releasing the source code of a AAA-title one month after release...yeah.......no words...

Has there been any word on vive support for Previous games like wolfinstien:TNO or Doom 3? Or would that be to difficult/costly for them to implement for games that have already sold?

MrGlide said:

Has there been any word on vive support for Previous games like wolfinstien:TNO or Doom 3? Or would that be to difficult/costly for them to implement for games that have already sold?

Depends on what you call "support". You can get Oculus support working in Doom 3 BFG, which was originally targeted at the Oculus DK2 (second development version). I never checked it out, to be honest. There are ways to map that support to the Vive, with the Oculus Consumer Version with ReVive for example, allthough Oculus does everything that it doesn't work with every new release, and ReVive fights this with every new release (it's stupid...yeah...).

Then there are the so called injectors, which work with Rage, Wolfenstein, Doom 2016. If the game has a profile for a 3D shutter google, you can get very good results, because the game already has a rendering mode for offset (left eye/right eye) images. It depends on the game how much you can tweak "static" elements (like UI, crosshair etc.) to make it look good.
The injector then is able to use your head movement to simulate mouse movement (for looking around). You can tweak this, like a deadzone where you still look and aim with the mouse, while when you want to, you just move your head. With the correct profile, it works very well.

If the game has NO 3d profile, it is enterily dependant on the renderer, if an injector is used. It depends on the shaders and especially post-processing effects if a stereoscopic effect can be achieved.

I tried Doom 2016 with an injector, and I was (and still am) quite vocal about "games have to be made for VR, else they are no good/you vomit like you never did before", but Doom 2016 with the injector is incredible already. I played up to VEGA Processing, in "I'm too young to die" (simply because I can rest at moments when I feel like it during combat), and it was/is awesome. I don't know how long I stood in some maps and simply looked around. There is no strong stereoscopic effect because the injector can't work magic, but I still is an awesome experience to me, knowing full well that this is a "band aid VR experience" with the injector.

Can't wait to see what they present to us with Bethesda VR.

Jet1337 said:

you need help