Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Railslave

Gotthard base portal

Hi All.

This is my first map, also my first post.

It's playable in crispy with doom 2. (not vanilla or chocolate)

Big props go out to Ptoing for the tech help and testing all the way through.

The map is based on the madness of the Gotthard tunnel opening ceremony, I guess its kind of a "5 years later" scenario; carrying on their hellish portal theme. https://youtu.be/JVw_mPvYcDM?t=200 (as seen on tv!!)

Anyway...Heres the linkage. Hope you enjoy it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1boy8u4cybjy62b/Gotthardbaseportal_edit.wad?dl=0

It's dark with dramatic shadowing by design and an emphasis on back lighting monster silhouettes. Custom midi

charming :). Here's a fda: https://www.mediafire.com/?grgmy4y27ghgm59

Cool abstract use of stock textures. I really like the usage of stark lighting throughout, particularly the shadowcasting on the impaled zombiemen. The gameplay was rather inconsequential, spacious to the degree that nothing is a threat, but I had enough fun just wandering around anyway. There were a few technical bits that could probably be corrected (some of the rocks by the YK door were damaging, for example).

Railslave said:

Stuff like this looks awesome, but only when you view the thing from the shadow's side. It looks odd when viewed from the light's side, because logically, the thing should be lit up on the side where the light comes from. An unfortunate limitation of the Doom engine. You could still use the effect plausibly by putting these shadow-casting things into an area inaccessible by the player and only viewable from one side, either the side where the light comes from (then make the thing bright) or the side where the shadow is casted to (then make the thing dark).

Btw, there is a weird glitch in this map and I have no clue what causes it. It happens in both choco and crispy, but not in Eternity for example. Have not tested others.

The problem is that the RK door makes no sound. And the lift by the Revenant makes no sound depending on where you are relative to it. From the front it makes no sound, the right of it it sometimes makes sound.

Would be really nice if someone knew what that is about, because there is nothing weird going on in terms of geo as far as I can tell.

In vanilla and similar ports, sector sounds are being emitted from the sector's center point (respectively from the center point of an imaginary rectangle that bounds the sector's area). If the sector is joined with another sector in a distant part of the map, its center point will be halfway between those two parts of the sector, possibly too far from the player to be heard (the same happens if the sector is simply very large and the player is too far from its center). That's probably the issue here, although I haven't actually checked it, so I'm not 100% sure.

I am aware of both those things, and they do not apply. The RK door is very small, like 72 or so units wide and I think 16 thick. And the lift is also not overly huge.

I sent the map to essel yesterday and he did not have a clue what was going on either. :(

The engine must might be miscalculating the position of the sector's center due to the sector's very distant coordinates from the origin point [0,0]. The entire map's center is at like [-16000,10000]. I moved the entire map so that its center would be roughly at [0,0], and the sound issues were fixed when I playtested it then.

Ribbiks said:

charming :). Here's a fda: https://www.mediafire.com/?grgmy4y27ghgm59

Cool abstract use of stock textures. I really like the usage of stark lighting throughout, particularly the shadowcasting on the impaled zombiemen. The gameplay was rather inconsequential, spacious to the degree that nothing is a threat, but I had enough fun just wandering around anyway. There were a few technical bits that could probably be corrected (some of the rocks by the YK door were damaging, for example).

Thanks so much for the playthrough, glad you had some fun in my little slice of abstraction.

You didn't go the way I had anticipated AT ALL, so lots of the the little "set pieces" kind of fell to pieces :P. definitely going to do some more with the shadows in the future.

I cant believe it took me this long to notice some of it subtly used in that E1M1 slime walkway/path. That's what inspired me. (Noticed it while comparing all the console versions with the PC)

Updated.

Moved the map to the center (sound issue)
cleaned up some texture alignment

I might take out some of the plasma ammo and introduce that gun a bit later on.

I don't really want to spam it with more enemies, but have the encounters a bit more dramatic/set piece like.

I played through it this morning.
Visually impressive, but, as other have noted, not difficult on Ultra-Violence. I also watched the videos of the opening - crazy stuff! Your map and your music conveys that pretty well, I'd say.