Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BahdKo

Yahoo Messenger as we know it goes away on August 5. Chat.doom2.net still available.

Doom's been around a long while and the first players utilized IRC, and then later, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo chat, and MSN.

MSN chat was taken away some time ago. Yahoo chat is being taken away on August 5. https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/06/13/1337254/legacy-yahoo-messenger-app-being-retired

http://chat.doom2.net is still up, if you want something to replace the Yahoo or MSN chat services.

It looks like Yahoo was storing all of the message logs server-side. That's actually kind-of nasty. I think it used to store it all on the user's PC. I can make a few guesses as to which 3 and 4 letter agencies encouraged them to move that particular function server-side.

What about Discord? That could also be used for general Doomworld chat as well.

First I still use Yahoo for work, job searching and non personal correspondence. I use my Gmail for anything fun and exiting.

The sad thing about Yahoo is, they discontinue services without letting you know before hand. I kept a lot of work search information on my yahoo notepad and then they took it away. Luckily I found the backdoor for retrieving all that information by typing the direct link to it into the address bar. I am glad I did because I would have lost it forever.

I love how Gmail has the Google drive and how I can use Google docks and sheets to plan out emails and store information for my online classes. I also like how Googles messenger is built right into GMail. Because it helps keep everything together.

What is Yahoo going to discontinue next, Yahoo shopping and Yahoo Answers? Oh well we had fun with Yahoo while it lasted.

The end of an era. I guess with things like Facepalmbook, most youngns see programs like Yahoo Messenger as outdated. That said, IRC has been my go-to for doom chat for many years and I don't see that changing, there's a great variety of active Doomy channels out there.

Glaice said:

What about Discord? That could also be used for general Doomworld chat as well.

There's already a general Doomworld chat, #doomtwid on oftc

I agree with Doomkid. I used to use Yahoo messenger back when I was 12 and did not have a cell phone. After getting a phone at 16 I stopped using it completely. For my Doom friends I of course use IRC, which still appears to be standard for mass gaming communities.

RIP Yahoo messenger, you did something useful a long time ago and have been deprecated for years :/

Didn't someone make a patch for WLM? Not sure if it still works now, but maybe there's a possibility of someone making that kind of patch for Yahoo messenger?