Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Any Doom mods that will put my new gtx 1080 to the test?

I know it sounds silly but I'm serious. I just added more RAM into my machine as well as a brand new gtx 1080 and I am legit wondering if there exist any mods for Doom or Doom 2 that could force it to earn it's money.

Any super demanding Doom mods out there?

You'll have a hard time putting such high end hardware to its limits. Hardware accelerated Doom ports are mostly limited by the CPU performance.

That mod barely taxes by Geforce 550Ti, btw.

I can only repeat my last post. Just putting stuff in the map won't tax the GPU, only the CPU.

What is costly is things that cause a lot of rendering without much data processing on the engine side.

Would something like putting 100 mirrors in a room work for that? Or I guess that's still mainly processing?

How about tons of voxel objects?

I'm guess very large complex architecture might do it? Minute details plain view in a large open area~

Graf Zahl said:

I can only repeat my last post. Just putting stuff in the map won't tax the GPU, only the CPU.

What is costly is things that cause a lot of rendering without much data processing on the engine side.

How about very polygonal / effect dense areas? Like way more than would be advisable for the format? Apparently, 5k is the recommended limit for that model type but, if it was slightly more of a Ps4 level of polygons, then it might make the GPU sweat a little.

kuchitsu said:

Would something like putting 100 mirrors in a room work for that?

Speaking of that, I remember I was experimenting with mirrors a while ago, and I recall GZDoom Builder lagging when I put 2 mirrors in front of each other.

I don't know how relevant is this, maybe it was because I had a pretty crappy computer at the time, but somehow it surprised me.

EDIT: No, runs fine. Ignore this post.

MetroidJunkie said:

How about very polygonal / effect dense areas? Like way more than would be advisable for the format?

Just to get an idea:

Frozen Time only has 1.5 ms of GPU stall per frame on my Geforce 550Ti.
You won't get the engine to be GPU-limited this easily.

From what I have seen, the only way to be GPU-bound is some extremely detailed portal geometry and heavy use of dynamic lights.

Graf Zahl said:

Just to get an idea:

Frozen Time only has 1.5 ms of GPU stall per frame on my Geforce 550Ti.
You won't get the engine to be GPU-limited this easily.

From what I have seen, the only way to be GPU-bound is some extremely detailed portal geometry and heavy use of dynamic lights.

I have an AMD X2 (2.7ghz) it has integrated graphics that can't handle OpenGL 2.0 and above. I got a GTX570 and my maps run seemingly well.

I maybe use a lot of dynamic lighting. Is someone with an older GPU going to have problems with my maps? How many is a lot? Are these drawn by nodes or are they always on?

I assume because Doom was never made to be a graphically intense game. Even OpenGL Source Ports don't exactly have state of the art effects, the engine seems to hold it back in that regard. Because of this, the scripting tends to be more taxing than the actual effects themselves.

Why don't you try that GTA Doom map with Project Brutality/Beautiful Doom?

Or one those slaughterfest maps like NUTS or 100000 Revenants, also loaded with Beautiful Doom/Project Brutality?

If you want to use an open source game for testing your graphics card, Xonotic, Tesseract, and Unvanquished would be better choices...and that's only in the realm of fps games.

Supertuxkart might also be helpful.

SavageCorona said:

Classic Doom is a very poor choice to test new hardware.

FTFY

...because I was concerned it may cause confusion about which Doom you were referring to.

Russian Overkill?

Using Nuts3, flymode, and the nuke in Russian Overkill caused some serious slow-down when I turned on freeze mode, launched 200 nukes and then turned off freeze mode. All those spidermasterminds, cyberdemons, arch-viles, really everything flying into the air.

But yeah, I think that's mostly the old engine, and if anything it's effecting the CPU, not the GPU.