Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
keithktam

is it supposed to look like that in ultra setting??

Recommended Posts

I have turned the setting to ultra, run smoothly, except these pixelation on reflection and shadow, texture too:






is it normal, or am i to picky??
thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post

C'mon man, it's not a perfect process. Textures, even really good ones, will usually get a bit funky when there's lot of light sources and normal mapping and specular highlighting going on.

Share this post


Link to post

What rendering mode, value for sharpening and value for film grain do you use?

I had similar drastic dithering regarding dynamic (non-backed) shadows, and putting film grain to 0 and sharpening to 1 helped a bit.

The other artefacts are also present on my machine. But I truly don't really notice them during regular gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post

Those are shortcuts that are "good enough" visually, and save rendering cycles on stuff that really matters. It's been around for years. the number of lights that affect sections of game world are capped at a very low limit, else it would take forever to render a scene.

If filtering a texture doesn't change the outcome much, then it's better to turn filtering off and save precious cycles. Quake 3 also did this for some of the model wall lights.

Lighting precision really tanks performance. Given that it's possible to render near lightmap quality lighting in real time is pretty impressive itself, but there are still shortcuts that need to be made to get there.

Share this post


Link to post

Haven't seen any thing like this in the game maxed out on GTX 980...

what's your GPU ? maybe you're out of vRam or something..

Share this post


Link to post
MiNaM said:

Haven't seen any thing like this in the game maxed out on GTX 980...

what's your GPU ? maybe you're out of vRam or something..


the same GTX980 4gb vram without Ti

Share this post


Link to post

Running the game on Ultra with a GTX 970, and I get the same thing: Screen-space reflections and shadows are sometimes blurry/pixelated in some areas (and always the same areas). I suppose it's a performance issue, and having super high quality reflections and shadows would hit performance too hard on all but the most powerful GPU's (GTX 1070 and 1080).

Share this post


Link to post

I've seen these fuzzy areas all over the game, usually as reflections, so I figured it was an engine or graphics deficiency.

In any case, the engine is not perfect, like I've seen text on a large screen that looks wrong when light shines on it, so there you go. It's like the old id Tech 4 with windows, they never looked right with what was on the other side of those windows.

Share this post


Link to post

I've noticed that the edges of some of the blood splat decals look really queer when the lighting is just so. It's almost like the alpha blending is screwy or something. Not a big deal, but it's weird because it's mostly not a problem. It's pretty apparent if the decal is on a transparent surface like glass.

Share this post


Link to post

AMD also had an issue too with decals/blood splats appearing strange, sparkling/shimmering when definitely they shouldn't have been. Though in my second playthrough I'm not noticing it (have been updating beta drivers whenever they come out, so it probably got addressed).

Share this post


Link to post

.... Umm... Don't click on the links. It takes you to a porn-hosting image site. :P

EDIT: I don't mind porn and stuff... I mean I kinda look at it from time to time, but jeez.... there's a time and place for everything, can't you host it on IMGUR or something lol?

Share this post


Link to post

Geez, I wish I had the luxury of complaining about a brand new game on ultra graphical settings having nearly imperceptible flaws like that.

Share this post


Link to post
DoomzRules said:

.... Umm... Don't click on the links. It takes you to a porn-hosting image site. :P

EDIT: I don't mind porn and stuff... I mean I kinda look at it from time to time, but jeez.... there's a time and place for everything, can't you host it on IMGUR or something lol?


noted.

Share this post


Link to post
HorrorMovieGuy said:

Geez, I wish I had the luxury of complaining about a brand new game on ultra graphical settings having nearly imperceptible flaws like that.


For real man, I mean, the game looks fucking fabulous even at lower settings.

Share this post


Link to post

For real, my GPU can't even handle the game at all and you've got people complaining about very tiny pixelation. I think it's a miracle that id got the game looking as good as it does and managing 60 frames per second on both the XBone and Ps4.

Share this post


Link to post

They had to sacrifice some small details otherwise. Plus you are not supoosed to look at them for that long anyway....
I guess New Gamers like the bells & whistles instead of Gameplay. Even on "Nightmare" Settings you will see that little pixelation.

MetroidJunkie said:

For real, my GPU can't even handle the game at all and you've got people complaining about very tiny pixelation. I think it's a miracle that id got the game looking as good as it does and managing 60 frames per second on both the XBone and Ps4.


That's what they say.... But i don't belive it. When you compare the Graphics of the PS4 version of Doom, it looks like they are a mix of Medium and High, a bit far from Ultra. Not much but you can see it.

The 60 frame per second, i doubt it. A friend of mine has Doom for PS4 and it feels slower than in PC.

Share this post


Link to post
Wild Dog said:

That's what they say.... But i don't belive it. When you compare the Graphics of the PS4 version of Doom, it looks like they are a mix of Medium and High, a bit far from Ultra. Not much but you can see it.

The 60 frame per second, i doubt it. A friend of mine has Doom for PS4 and it feels slower than in PC.


Doesn't the game dynamically change the screen resolution in order to keep the framerate steady? I hear, in the Xbox One, that's more noticeable because its hardware is bottlenecked compared to the Ps4.

Share this post


Link to post

I actually have mixed feelings about id Tech 6 as John Carmack had nothing to do with it whatsoever. What bothers me is that they haven't even released a feature set of what it can do (when Carmack would) and so it's wrapped in secrecy even though we can all see it in action. Who programmed it, for a start, and is he anywhere near as good as John Carmack?

Share this post


Link to post
Foebane72 said:

I actually have mixed feelings about id Tech 6 as John Carmack had nothing to do with it whatsoever. What bothers me is that they haven't even released a feature set of what it can do (when Carmack would) and so it's wrapped in secrecy even though we can all see it in action. Who programmed it, for a start, and is he anywhere near as good as John Carmack?


In terms of code innovation, no one is as good as John Carmack.

Share this post


Link to post
MetroidJunkie said:

Doesn't the game dynamically change the screen resolution in order to keep the framerate steady? I hear, in the Xbox One, that's more noticeable because its hardware is bottlenecked compared to the Ps4.

I guess they pulled the same trick as Killzone Shadow Fall. I guess that's why it looks a blend of High and Medium settings. But still it feels much much slower than PC.
And it has nothing to do with the Joystick, because in my PC i play with a 360 gamepad (YES I'M A SINNER!!!)

Share this post


Link to post
Wild Dog said:

I guess they pulled the same trick as Killzone Shadow Fall. I guess that's why it looks a blend of High and Medium settings. But still it feels much much slower than PC.
And it has nothing to do with the Joystick, because in my PC i play with a 360 gamepad (YES I'M A SINNER!!!)



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhhsmcoYybc#t=01m24s


Looks like it isn't perfectly smooth, it seems to fluctuate between 50 and 60 frames per second, most bogged down by particles. Still 50+ is pretty good for console standards.

Share this post


Link to post

While still an amazing game in PS4 (I didn't try the X1 version), you can feel is not as smooth as PC.
Also in that video the parts they tested are quite "fps friendly". I wonder what's the fps count at Advanced Research Complex level or in The Necropolis especially in the part that is an homage to Dead Simple.

But like you say quite good for a Console, after all the PS4 GPU is just a buffed HD 7870

Share this post


Link to post
keithktam said:

the same GTX980 4gb vram without Ti


Well, here's my setup

- Asus Strix GTX 980 @ stock clocks
- Nvidia 365.19 Drivers "I've downloaded the latest driver but didn't update since I have zero graphical/performance problems"
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

I'm playing @ Max settings 1050p and haven't seen any pixelation on reflections and shadows..

Texture pop-ins aren't noticable in regular gameplay, I don't see them till I force them to show-up even though it's running from a regular 2x7200rpm HDD's in Raid-0

If you're running the latest driver give the 365.19 a try, and if you've OC'ed your video card try downclocking to the stock clocks..

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×