Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EduXYZ

The Logic of the Archvile

I talking about his power, a big flame what's run to you, don't make any sense, it's strange for me.

Archvile is like a type of cocktail molotov, but in a organic form.

With the help of Demon energy, the Arch Vile focuses all that energy on a single entity. But its upto the Arch Vile to use it the way it wants:

-Unleashing Hell upon the enemy, by dynamically taking the Demon energy from Hell, the Arch Vile acts as a conductor, and continuously sends it to the enemy, where it builds up, until it becomes unstable.

Hell(battery)->Arch Vile(wire)->Enemy(component)

-Resurrecting fallen comrades by using Demon energy to put the body parts together the way they were, while making sure a correct amount is sent.

Hell(battery)->Arch Vile(wire)->Demon(component)

There, EXPLAINED.

The archvile is from a class of villains who make you fly out of control, nearly killing you if not finishing you rightaway. A very traumatic death. It reminds me of Jaffar from Prince of Persia SNES.

I think the ArchvIle attacks it makes mini portal to hell under whoever it is fighting and then an eruption of hell flames comes out.

Voros said:

With the help of Demon energy, the Arch Vile focuses all that energy on a single entity. But its upto the Arch Vile to use it the way it wants:

-Unleashing Hell upon the enemy, by dynamically taking the Demon energy from Hell, the Arch Vile acts as a conductor, and continuously sends it to the enemy, where it builds up, until it becomes unstable.

Hell(battery)->Arch Vile(wire)->Enemy(component)

-Resurrecting fallen comrades by using Demon energy to put the body parts together the way they were, while making sure a correct amount is sent.

Hell(battery)->Arch Vile(wire)->Demon(component)

There, EXPLAINED.

Seems like not enough energy of hell to resurrect Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind, and itself of course.
What i like that Archvile doesn't takes you as the main target and if someone touches him - he will immediately attacks the latest one who touched him.

Azuruish said:

What i like that Archvile doesn't takes you as the main target and if someone touches him - he will immediately attacks the latest one who touched him.

Yeah. He's the edgelord of hell.

For me it looks like Archvile is gathering energy in form of fire whirl surrounding the target. Once it's ready, assembled energy goes directly into target at once, causing explosion, therefore the famous AV-jump

HorrorMovieGuy said:

I like to believe that the Archvile's fire boils your blood until it evaporates and the "blood gas" expands violently, making you blow up.

Good thing the blue armor oughta protect ya from that

Other fantasy worlds have flames that don't hurt people. I think Harry Potter had some, for example.

Azuruish said:

Seems like not enough energy of hell to resurrect Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind, and itself of course.

Too big to handle such entities, and resurrecting Arch Viles is impossible because they are conductors, not components. They're bodies can't store Demon energy, but transfers it to the environment, or another entity.

There, EXPLAINED.

I think the Archvile builds up fire on your body until it's ready to cause the fire to explode on you. Naturally, this fire will sizzle out very quickly if the Archvile doesn't maintain eye contact with you to keep the spell going. As for resurrecting dead monsters, maybe he sears their wounds while recalling the soul back from hell.

This game has enemies who have unlimited ammo to fire on you (even if the ammo is bullets, or rockets, or even PE's Lost Souls), enemies who are brains on robotic legs or other cybernetically enhanced beasts, enemies who fly without wings, enemies who are semi-invisible, and enemies who resurrect dead enemies and can remotely set you on fire and explode you. Their logic is somewhat explainable and justifiable if you have imagination, but you don't really have to do so. As videogame characters, all that matters is that 1) they're cool and 2) they're fun to fight in various setups.

That said, I prefer to go with the "they're coming from another dimension with its own physical laws and they are warping our dimension to be like theirs" explanation.

The archvile really is a confusing monster. I'd bet that there are very few people who killed their first one without dying on first try without cheat codes. As far as visuals go, the archvile is not very clear on what it is doing or when the damage is dealt. In gameplay mechanics, the fire is just a target or a warning that you're about to get blasted, but you would think the fire is damaging in itself. And simply getting out of the line of sight extinguishes the fire. It's tricky to explain to someone who has never played doom before. It just doesn't make any sense.

It's interesting to think about how you can make a game as visually nonsensical as you want as long as some things remain constant and the player plays long enough they wont even question it.

^ This reminds me of my early-age doom experience, where I expected the RadSuit would make me take 0 damage vs. the imp fireballs because they're made of fire, and the RadSuit protects me from lava.

This wasn't the case as I quickly realized, so I assumed 'the fireball hits me hard enough that it still hurts'.

That said, I guess the Archvile, much like most 'bosses' in video games, take a moment of studying to understand what it's doing and how to play against it. Regarding the logic behind it: It's otherworldly - the go-to explanation for everything impossible in all Sci-Fi and Fantasy related topics.

My best guess is that the fire is appearing on his visor or some other part of armor that's non-flammable, thus the fire will quickly extinguish if the Archvile isn't maintaining that eye contact on you. He's just building up enough fire to cause it to explode. Really, though, I've always seen the Archvile as some kind of wizard. Even the "Summoner" in Doom 2016 which, let's face it, is really the Archvile remodernized, looked more intelligent and cunning than the other demons. That makes him more dangerous, he's skillful enough to know sort of demonic magic and is apparently the top of the hierarchy in Hell since no other demon, not even the Spider Mastermind or the Cyberdemon, will retaliate against a pissed off Archvile. I guess they realize that the healer is more important than just a really souped up soldier.

I think the manual specifically refers to his attacks as 'spells'. So if you interrupt him while he's spellcasting, by hurting him or messing around his sight of you, you break the spell.

deadwolves said:

I think the manual specifically refers to his attacks as 'spells'. So if you interrupt him while he's spellcasting, by hurting him or messing around his sight of you, you break the spell.

To break that spell even with SSG is not so easy. It always fun when Archvile gets pain and it breaks the spell by BFG ball or pistol shot because that event is so rare.

Piper Maru said:

It makes as much as sense as fighting demons on Mars with space shotguns and chainsaws.

Well, why chainsaw on Mars was described in Doom 3. Weapon as shotgun you can use instead pickaxe for example.

Archviles are evil clones of Jesus Christ, performing evil mockeries of the Lord's miracles, including a twisted version of Our Lord's and Saviour's Resurrection (their hands even turn red, as if they had stigmata from crucifixion).

The Arch-Vile is like:"I'm the Revenant's skinny brother, if you want to kill me, better be quick or otherwise i'll make a BBQ outta ya while ressurecting other fallen allies!", see?
Also:"I'm agitated like my brother, due to moving quick!"

From a mechanical standpoint it gives him a more difficult to manveuver attack, forcing you to use cover to stop being attacked rather than dodging it like the majority of enemies.

I too think the archvile makes no sense. What makes less sense is how people litter their maps with them. I only like putting them into maps 1 or 2 at a time as a kind of sub boss.

Similar to them is the Iron Lich with their wind micro burst attack. I recently found out that you can bolt strait into it and retain only a small amount of damage.

I was hoping to put the archvile into my Heretic project but after toning down the damage caused by their flame attack I discovered that the flames knock back is amplified by Heretic's physics. This is a no go especially when you use the ring of invisibility. Their flames can knock you clear across the map and are doubled or even tripled when you are battling 2 of them at the same time. I don't know what to do to dumb them down.

I was also hoping to make D'Sparil or the Heresiarch raise the dead but I really do not know how to do it properly.

I use the Arch-Vile's active sound "wahahaha" as my text message sound. I've missed quite a few text messages because the default sound didn't grab my attention.

It's like Pavlov and the dog. As soon as I hear an Arch-Vile my ears perk up. And I used the active sound, because in my head that means danger is walking around waiting to fuck me up.

Jello said:

I use the Arch-Vile's active sound "wahahaha" as my text message sound. I've missed quite a few text messages because the default sound didn't grab my attention.

TBQH, if I heard this sound repeatedly in RL, I would think that some serial rapist was on the loose.