Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Are the OS X Eternity DRDTeam builds damaged?

Has anyone else tried running the OS X builds of Eternity from devbuilds.drdteam.org? Do you get an impassable error when trying to run them, that the application is broken?

Just trying now...

“Eternity Engine” can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash." with the latest two builds (Jun 02 and Apr 27)

Just the latest two?

If not, then I suspect it's my code signature not being valid on DRDTeam maintainer's computer. He should probably disable it and release unsigned versions, or if he's enrolled as an Apple developer, use his signature.

printz said:

Just the latest two?

I only tested the latest two. I'll do a few more via a binary-search pattern, but I was trying to avoid trying them all.

Edit: the current oldest build (Mar 11 2016 03:34:0) is similarly broken, as was one roughly in the middle of the list.

Edit: I don't tend to use the App as an app, generally, but run the binary within the app (mostly because I want to launch it from say WadC or another editor). For eternity-3.40.46-487-g37b765a at least, although the app itself is broken as above, the binaries within are fine

• (just launched ./Contents/Resources/eternity -iwad ~/games/doom2/doom2.wad -nosound)

• I suspect they will suffer a long-standing problem I've had with the Mac builds, where user data such as configs and screenshots are saved *in the app*, rather than in ~/Library or elsewhere, and (possibly related) startup times for subsequent invocations get progressively slower.

Saves and screenshots and configs are NOT saved in the app, ever. They're saved where you set -user to. When running the app by double-click and clicking "Start Game", it starts the "eternity" executable from the Resources subdirectory by passing it ETERNITYBASE and ETERNITYUSER environment variables with standard values (base is within the app folder, and user is within ~/Library/Application Support). You have to set the paths on your own when starting the real game by command line.

printz said:

When running the app by double-click and clicking "Start Game", it starts the "eternity" executable from the Resources subdirectory by passing it ETERNITYBASE and ETERNITYUSER environment variables with standard values (base is within the app folder, and user is within ~/Library/Application Support). You have to set the paths on your own when starting the real game by command line.

I suggest more sensible defaults are needed for the case when the App is not being launched.

Jon said:

I suggest more sensible defaults are needed for the case when the App is not being launched.

The native defaults are the same as in the Windows release: the base/ and user/ folders from the current working directory.