Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Varis Alpha

some way to move faster?

it might just be me, but it seems like when i watch certain videos of the PC version of this game, that the player moves a lot faster than i ever did in the whole campaign. not a really colossal speed increase, but enough for it to be noticeable to me. so, is there anyway to move faster in the game, aside from the Blood Rush rune and the Haste powerup? or am i just imagining it because i'm not quite hitting the recommended specs?

there's nothing in the game that lets you upgrade your speed. you can upgrade the speed of which you switch weapons, climb ledges and swap mods, but there's nothing that makes you move faster as far as i can see. unless that's a reward for fully upgrading the Praetor Suit or something.

you could give the Blood Fueled/Faster Glory Kills runes a go, or as Hofmann says above, try cranking the Field Of View up to 120 or so for instance.

... as a matter of fact, I sensibly encourage people to try the game out playing doing exactly that in particular. K+B actually makes the game feel infinitely more manageable to boot of course, but these two little tweaks will certainly help add to the game's overall speed. if you've watched the Vulkan PC demos weeks back when they were releaed, you probably know what I'm talking about.

I'm sure that everyone knows about it, but getting higher FOV will not give you faster speed; it's just an illusion. I wonder if there's an actual console command to boost your movement speed.

Actually, I think that increasing the FOV increases player movement speed, but it also increases the distance between the player and objects in front of him proportionally. So if the normal speed is 10 m/s and the object is 10 m away, and when increasing the FOV by making the distance of same object 20 m, then the new speed of the player would be 20 m/s. Either way the player would reach the object in 1 second, but he is in fact two times faster. I'm just guessing so correct me if I'm wrong.

FOV does not and never has affected movement speeds. A wider FOV can make movement apparently faster as there's more geometry at the edge of the screenspace moving, but you're still going the same speed.
Also multiplayer would be horribly broken if it did.

Hofmann said:

Actually, I think that increasing the FOV increases player movement speed, but it also increases the distance between the player and objects in front of him proportionally. So if the normal speed is 10 m/s and the object is 10 m away, and when increasing the FOV by making the distance of same object 20 m, then the new speed of the player would be 20 m/s. Either way the player would reach the object in 1 second, but he is in fact two times faster. I'm just guessing so correct me if I'm wrong.

That's only what your eyes/brain tell you.

Take a camera with interchangeable lens, and strap strap something like 200mm in front of it (full frame equivalent). Now move. You will feel incredibly slow, in real live.

Now strap a 5 or 8mm fisheye on it, and move.

Bam. Neither did you move faster or slower, or did the actual distance change (our world is quite boring regarding such stuff), but the way your brain interpretes it changes how you experience the "speed". That sucker is sadly tuned to our "normal" FOV, and any changes to it take some time for it to adapt. And it's similar in virtual projections like computer games.

Then again, our brain is actually awesome, as it will adapt to it very quickly, both in real life (couple of minutes, if trained for it even quicker) and viewing virtual projections.

Get's even more fun when you start with "true" 3D projections, via shutter glasses, polarisation glasses or physical stereoscopical view like VR HMDs.

Then again, there are other factors as well, like both projected FPS and FPS your brain decodes (sometimes it does it faster [adrenaline pumping through your body because a lion chases you] or slower [that last beer obviously was foul]).

Yeah I guess FOV messes with your distance and speed perception but not with time perception, like when moving while zooming it feels slow as fuck but it takes the same amount of time to reach the same distance(but not perceived the same). Basically s1/v1 = t = s2/v2.

so i'm guessing that the reason i find YT videos to be faster is that they're running on more powerful hardware at higher framerates than i do? that's the only explanation that makes sense to me right now.

Yeah I guess higher fluidity of motion could make it feel a bit faster, watching a video fullscreen vs not fullscreen makes a difference as well I think. Here is some FOV comparison, try comparing your gameplay with these two videos:

MINIMUM FOV

MAXIMUM FOV

Viscra Maelstrom said:

there's nothing in the game that lets you upgrade your speed. you can upgrade the speed of which you switch weapons, climb ledges and swap mods, but there's nothing that makes you move faster as far as i can see. unless that's a reward for fully upgrading the Praetor Suit or something.

Actually, there kind of is. You can equip a rune that gives you a speed boost every time you perform a Glory Kill. Combine that with the Haste powerup and you move extremely fast--at least as fast as you did in the original Doom.

Viscra Maelstrom said:

so i'm guessing that the reason i find YT videos to be faster is that they're running on more powerful hardware at higher framerates than i do? that's the only explanation that makes sense to me right now.

What is your FOV set at?

Sometimes, I move in slow-mo because my GPU is a piece of garbage.

However, sometimes, I move at a normal rate, without any problem throughout whole playthroughs. I have the graphics set to low.