Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marscaleb

My wad has inexplicably turned floors black

So, I had built a custom wad for a convention. The wad was just a collection of maps from Doom and Doom II, all in one wad so I didn't have to keep changing games.
I'm new to wad editing, but I learned how to copy over patches and textures, which was needed because there were many textures in Doom 1 that are not in Doom II. I ultimately copied over every patch from Doom 1 and my texture file for the wad includes all the textures from Doom 1 and 2. Oh, and some skies from TNT.

Overall, it worked great, in case you were wondering. But while this is all still fresh in my head, I decided to expand this wad for next year's event.
Specifically, I decided I wanted to bring in maps from Doom 64. I found the wad for Doom 64 Absolution (because I figured it was starting closer to being compatible with regular Doom 2) and copied over all of its patches, flats, and textures, as well as a few choice levels. (Which I have to spend a lot of time cleaning up to get them functional.)

But something in this wad has somehow caused floors in some maps to turn completely black. I notice in particular that FLOOR4_8 has turned solid black; the floor that covers most of E1M1.

I am not sure how this happened. There is nothing overriding the original flat, and in fact, it looks fine when I am inside Doom Builder. But when I load it up in ZDaemon (which is what I use at the con because of its multiplayer options) that floor turns black.

I'm not sure what the problem is, so I am reaching out for help. Has someone come across this before? Or do you have any ideas of what I should check first to narrow down what the problem might be?

I would post the wad so folks could poke around in it, but since it is almost nothing but commercial content, I think I could get in trouble for that.

I see a floor flat and I want to paint it black

Does it also turn black if you try a different port, for example Zandronum?

That's a good thought; I hadn't thought of that.

I just tried it in Crispy Doom, 3DGE, and Risen3D as those are the ones I had one hand, and the floors were black in them.

Edit: Are there limits to how big a wad file can be or how many of a given type one can have? Because between Doom 64 and Doom 1, there are a lot in this pwad. Could that have something to do with it?

There shouldn't be a limit, at least not with these ports.

(Well, there are limits in that the WAD format uses four-byte ints for the number of lumps and the offset to the directory, so these values can't be larger than the largest number that can be expressed with four bytes, but that's so large a number that you're quite unlikely to ever reach it anyway. We're talking billions, here.)

Well at least knowing what isn't the problem is slightly closer to solving the problem.

So my thoughts at this point are: When I can't solve a problem in my programming, I need to start intentionally breaking things. Intentionally screw things up and observe how those things work with the problem. That's how you shed light on what is causing the problem.

And that's basically the approach I need to be taking at this point; start breaking things and see what changes.
But as I said, I'm new to Doom editing. This is my first wad. I don't know what sort of things I should be breaking or testing.
Tomorrow, I'll try a few things and see if I can get something to react differently, but I would appreciate some suggestions so I spend less time spinning my wheels.

All I can think of is to double check if the flat really isn't being overriden by something, so: Check all PWADs/PK3s that you are launching the game with, don't forget possibly autoloaded wads/pk3s, and check each of them if it contains either a lump (which doesn't have to be a graphic lump!) named "FLOOR4_8", or an entry within TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2 or TEXTURES named "FLOOR4_8". In case you find any, check each of these lumps/entries if it looks alright and if its graphic format is "Graphic(Doom)", and if the graphic format is different, convert it to "Graphic(Doom)" (or to PNG if you are using a port that supports PNGs).

Uhg; Okay I found it.
Yeah, that tile was indeed being overridden by another tile of the exact same name, which for some reason was completely black.

Not sure how I missed it when I was copying over the new flats, but I did. Even less do I understand why Doom Builder didn't use that tile; I would have found it much faster if it had.

Thanks everyone.