Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deadwolves

E1M3 on NM is hurting my life

This level is pretty much the reason why I love Doom so much and hate it at the same time. It's just so damn hard. It is just destroying me, why is it so damn difficult?

I have a specific technique on this level that works 50% of the time (provided I have the weapons from the previous mission). The only secret I MIGHT go for is the final one, because it's convenient. Getting the required key isn't much of an issue either, even on pistol start.

But it is getting back. Everything's respawned, there are shotgunners and dogs everywhere, the whole map is filled with overpowered bad guys. If you have the chaingun from the previous mission, that gives somewhat of an advantage, but on a pistol start, apart the rocket launcher (which is a whole song & dance itself) I don't see how you can possibly survive on a guaranteed win. And even that weapon will probably end up destroying you just as easily as the monsters.

After taking the key, I will take out the bunch of imps and go for the health and bullets (essential for the chaingun). Then I will fire pretty much constantly until I get to the locked door, and if I have any bullets left, mow them all down. If not, go for the shotgun and kill all the suckers. Finally, chop through the corridors until the final large room, shotgun away, and slowly but surely reach the exit.

But this technique doesn't work. The monsters are just too ruthless. Even on a pistol start, it's not getting the key that is the problem, but it is getting back. The entire level of monsters has either respawned or beelined towards your position by the time you have reached what you needed and you are thus faced with a wall of impossible evil guys. Due to the unique geometry of the level, they are less apt to hit each other in the outside toxic room, and the next room has a bunch of more bad guys just waiting to take all your health off.

Don't tell me to watch videos. Do not tell me to read books. The videos out there are once-off, opportunistic examples. I am here and want to talk to REAL doomers, not UV-playing filth. Real, living NM players, with a soaring, pounding, singing penis, rock-star doomers, this is the quality I expect here, immediately, at Doomworld, right now. Nothing else is acceptable. I can pretty much slay the second and third episodes on NM already (well maybe not the death pit in E2M6 so much), but let's get real here. Just someone tell me how to beat this level.

I had the EXACT same problem. I've completed E2 and first half of E1 on NM, and here's my advice: save a LOT: once in a blue moon the stars will align correctly and you will manage to squeeze yourself between those two goddamn Sergeants who have been bugging you for days. Just keep trying. A lot.
So, after EACH kill, retreat behind a wall, then save: rinse and repeat. Actually, you might be better off taking the secret exit (on pistol start), but I haven't ever tried.

deadwolves said:

Don't tell me to watch videos. Do not tell me to read books. The videos out there are once-off, opportunistic examples.

I don't see anything wrong in achieving something once in x tries: this is the beauty of many "unrealistic" speedruns, you know when you try it by yourself you will fail, fail, fail. Somebody who won also failed, only had patience or stamina to try again.

On the other hand, Nighmare and consistency don't match. If you can consistently beat a map on NM! skill, this means the map is trivial.

bzzrak said:

I had the EXACT same problem. I've completed E2 and first half of E1 on NM, and here's my advice: save a LOT: once in a blue moon the stars will align correctly and you will manage to squeeze yourself between those two goddamn Sergeants who have been bugging you for days. Just keep trying. A lot.

I know! Honestly, E3 is easier on NM than the previous two episodes. A lot of E3 isn't that hard at all on NM. Toughest part is the beginning of E3M2. The rest of it is a cakewalk until E3M7. But this damn level kicks my ass and my ass is tired of being kicked. Saving is a big no-no in my book (unless it's practice) but the only time I allow myself a save is either halfway through E1M6 or E2M6, because that's when it's just too hard and unpredictable.

My technique for the siege is: hide in the southwest corner and playing shoot-out with the map of bad guys coming towards you. There's a shotgunner there who you'd have killed before, so you can waste him when he respawns. This is when it gets really, really hard. But now you have a choice. Do you

a) Run through it and hope for the best

b) Be a coward, shotgun behind a corner and hope for the best?

Usually I would pick b) because essentially I am a coward in both Doom and life. But it doesn't work! Either way there is the possibility of being overpowered. I'm determined to find a way to get it right first time, only time. That's the technique I want like I can do for the rest of the episode.