Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant100

Infinite Revenants, the sequel to 100,000 Revenants - A Doom 2 Map

The number of on-screen monsters is a hot topic in the gaming world these days. However, it's become all too clear that all methods of measuring this measure are inherently flawed. They're all entirely dependent on uncontrolled variables and elements. Specifically, the human element. And that got me thinking, what if we could do it a different way? What if we could eliminate that human element? What if we could build a machine? And then it hit me:

We must build an eternal machine to construct infinite life.

Hence, I have made this map called Infinite Revenants, a simulation of the beginning and end of life. Your goal is to press fire to initiate genesis and witness your children become fruitful and multiply. Once you are satisfied with your children's generations, press use to initiate rapture and bring about the end of times. Requires a Boom-compatible port, -complevel 9 recommended.

Download:

Preview image:
yTBbffgt.png

Preview video:

Credit to Bethesda for Doom 4 and Linguica for the Selfie Doom portion of InstaDoom, both of which provided invaluable technical inspiration for this project.

Edited by Revenant100

This is perhaps the best thing ever. No longer will anyone ever need to worry about not having enough boners.

EDIT: yeah my toaster can't handle this at all.
Maybe now we can measure computing speed in Revenants, with a rig's Revenant amount being the amount of revenants it can handle at once before crashing.

JFC. Someone needs to build a demo of pressing fire and then waiting for a while, and then render it out with -viddump so you can actually see it in real time. Hey wait I'm someone!!

Linguica said:

JFC. Someone needs to build a demo of pressing fire and then waiting for a while, and then render it out with -viddump so you can actually see it in real time. Hey wait I'm someone!!

Pardon the delay, but my YouTube upload was still processing, and I wanted to have this thread posted first so I could link the map release in the video description. Here's the video preview:

Revenant100 said:

Pardon the delay, but my YouTube upload was still processing, and I wanted to have this thread posted first so I could link the map release in the video description. Here's the video preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q19sVKcAqIw

lol, god.

Out of curiosity, how was Selfie Doom helpful?

Well thanks for the video, because I couldn't run this wad without it slowing down infinitely. Agitation, indeed.

Alternate title for this should be "Slaughtermap Monster Placement".

It would fit more if you were satan in hell instead of god in heaven and your HP would be 666% instead.

Linguica said:

Out of curiosity, how was Selfie Doom helpful?

I attempted to use the misc1 and misc2 values to force the weapon sprite offsets to stay center aligned and remain static since it's just a text message, hence I didn't want it to bob while the player travels along the scrolling floors. Weapon bobbing while moving on scrolling floors only occurs in complevel 9, but I figured I'd try to cover all my bases.

Unfortunately, the manual offsets apparently only take effect while firing the weapon, so the idle state goes unaffected. In retrospect, since I used the voice clips already, I suppose I should have gone full ROTT and used the God hand weapon sprites so the bobbing doesn't seem out of place. I may go ahead and do that anyway in an update, but sadly it's too late for the video recording.

Before I forget, I wish to upload this final update to Infinite Revenants. These minor changes bring the WAD closer to my initial conception, and I hope you may all enjoy experiencing the original directorial vision (still requires a Boom-compatible port):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nc8bcn9csn7vo9i/infrevs.zip

However, I also wish to use this opportunity to announce an exciting new development. This development is a sequel.

In gathering the general reaction to this WAD, I noticed there was a common thread among the responses, and this tended to be a qualm with the performance. It seems that spawning hundreds of thousands of Revenants in a matter of seconds can cause slowdowns on some machines, hence I saw an opportunity to address this grievance with a new installment in the series. I had to ask myself, however, how could I approach this conundrum? Can this problem be tackled without compromising the desired vision? What can be done to bring an equilibrium to a limitless number of Revenants?

Boiling the issue down, the question become thus:

What can bring balance to Infinite Life?

There was only one answer:

Infinite Death.

And what can beget infinite death?

Spoiler

Infinite War.

Coming soon. (MBF-compatibility required)

Quick question; how did you record the preview video with no frame drop at all? I've tried the new version with no success on playing more than 10 fps.

The preview video was recorded with PrBoom+'s (actually GLBoom+) handy -viddump parameter, as mentioned above by Linguica. The end output message was "Timed 3227 gametics in 1897887 realtics = 0.1 frames per second". If my calculations are correct, this means the 92.2 seconds of footage took roughly 15 hours to render.

Incidentally, YouTube's video compression is terrible. The muxed mp4 I uploaded is nearly pixel-perfect in quality and only 200 MB. What a shame.

"Only 200 MB" for a 90 second video? That's like 18 Mbps, which is right around what Blu-rays use. As a teeming mass of revenant heads is practically random noise, I'm not surprised it didn't compress well for streaming.

The compression looks much more respectable on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/205276915

(I hope they buy this being an art piece and not a video game upload.)

Ultimately, the biggest tragedy is that you can't make out my favorite Revenant. He's right here:

I call him Hidalgo.

How many decades of CPU performance advances will be needed until this miracle of life simulation can be run fullspeed? In VR?

So whats the secret? I have a titan X pascal, 32gb ram, 3.7ghz quad core.... And it freezes at 1 second mark so what am I doing wrong