Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Varis Alpha

some weapon mods seem pointless compared to the alternative

so after having beat the game and replaying it on UV now, i realize that some weapon mods you can buy seem entirely pointless compared to the other mod you can slap onto them.

for example, Burst Shot vs Explosive Shot. the first one is really not that good for how early you get it, especially considering that ammo is not at a premium early in the game. the Explosive Shot needs more careful aiming, yes, but i always found it more reliable to hit enemies with. maybe Burst gets more useful late game, but at that point, i was rarely even using the shotgun and trying to get the mastery for the SSG.

it's the same thing with the Stun Bombs for the Plasma Rifle and the Micro Missiles for the HMG, IMO. they're much more useful than the other mods you get for them.

anyone else feeling the same here? or am i just talking out of my ass here?

The HAR scope seems absolutely pointless considering most fights take place at a reasonably close range. At longer ranges you seem to be better off with other weapons such as the gauss rifle at range or the chaingun up close.

Though I can't actually play the game so I may also be talking out of my arse.

Some mods are clearly more useful than others, but I'm finding myself using the "weaker" alt firing modes from time to time.

I think the burst fire mod for the shotgun is almost completely useless once you get the SSG.

PseudoGold said:

The HAR scope seems absolutely pointless considering most fights take place at a reasonably close range. At longer ranges you seem to be better off with other weapons such as the gauss rifle at range or the chaingun up close.

I felt the same way until I unlocked the Devastator Rounds upgrade, which basically turns it into a sniper-chaingun.

The charged shot is useless, I only use explosive shot

I rarely use the stun bomb, the heat hurts can take out a couple of enemies pretty quickly

Fully upgrading the Gatling rotor makes the turret kind of useless

I barely use scopes at all, the cooresoponding mods are miles better

Lock on burst feels superior since its three lock on rockets, remote detonator doesn't feel that great

BluePineapple72 said:

I rarely use the stun bomb, the heat hurts can take out a couple of enemies pretty quickly

Lock on burst feels superior since its three lock on rockets, remote detonator doesn't feel that great

stun bombs are a lifesaver on high difficulties. the heat wave is useless IMO, because you need to expend ammo to use it, which is really clunky, and its application is shaky at best. and the stun bombs works on EVERYTHING (except probably bosses, but that Baron of Hell over there? yeah, even HIM.)

the turret is much more accurate and has a significantly higher DPS than the gatling rotor. in this case, i feel it's a good mix: one is stronger and more accurate, but uses more ammo and hinders movement. the other is good for when you're moving around a lot but isn't as strong or accurate. same for the rocket launcher: lock on is good for single targets, remote is better for groups (and it takes care of Possessed Security and their annoying shields.)

adding on, Siege Mode is better than the scope mod for Gauss Cannon. it's just so fricking powerful, and fairly easy to get the mastery, which removes its weakness of being stationary. i guess scope mod is good for killing single enemies, but Siege Mode was just way better for me.

oh yeah, and the SSG. it kicks the combat shotgun's ass when fully upgraded. SSG is love.

Heat blast can take out a good number of enemies when fully charged, when upgraded all the way it can charge passively, so you don't need to use ammo (in also pretty sure it affects how the plasma rifle shoots normally, it definitely changed it aestecitcally for the better, I can't stand the sound/look of the stun bomb plasma rifle)

Viscra Maelstrom said:

so after having beat the game and replaying it on UV now, i realize that some weapon mods you can buy seem entirely pointless compared to the other mod you can slap onto them.

for example, Burst Shot vs Explosive Shot. the first one is really not that good for how early you get it, especially considering that ammo is not at a premium early in the game. the Explosive Shot needs more careful aiming, yes, but i always found it more reliable to hit enemies with. maybe Burst gets more useful late game, but at that point, i was rarely even using the shotgun and trying to get the mastery for the SSG.

it's the same thing with the Stun Bombs for the Plasma Rifle and the Micro Missiles for the HMG, IMO. they're much more useful than the other mods you get for them.

anyone else feeling the same here? or am i just talking out of my ass here?

No, i don't feel the same.
It depends on how you play.

You bet the game on the higher setting doing A-B-C-D? Well I bet the game on the higher setting doing B-D-A-C.
And you know what? That's good because it means we have different ways to play the game.
You don't think the Heat blast is good and you like the stunt bombs?? Well if that works for you great.
BUT i love the Heat Blast and i use in such way that i can't a good amount of demons with a blast.

Is just pointless to argue which mod is better, all of them are great, depending on how you play, you may like one mod over another mod.

GoatLord said:

What's the dif between the frag and siphon grenades? And does anyone use the hologram?

frag grenade deals some damage, siphon deals some damage as well but also gives you a lot of health back

the holo makes the enemies shoot at/attack it for a few seconds

BluePineapple72 said:

I agree on charged shot and the scopes - but the stun bomb is essential in nightmare/ultra nightmare - you never want to come close to enemies so in the highest difficulty the heat wave is kinda useless and the stun bomb a life saver

lock on burst seems to be superior but there it really depends on the playstyle, remote detonate is good too

I use frag grenades frequently, even against stronger enemies. Until I get the SSG Mastery the Frag plays a vital role in my weapon rotation when initiating combat. Throw Frag, fire Combat Shotgun Grenade Launcher, swap to Plasma Stun Bomb to stun the survivors and then go back to shotgun. I'm curious if the Siphon Grenade is more worth while... I'm sure it should do notably less damage.

I also find the Burst Shotgun mod fairly useless since you get the SSG around the time the big Demons appear. But how people find the Plasma Rifle's Stun Bomb not so great baffles me. As Viscra said, it even stuns Barons which can be a total life savor. Meanwhile I find the Heat Blast risky as I need to run close to multiple enemies to maximize its damage.

The Heavy Assault Rifle is great when you reach its Mastery. Not second half of the game great, but still useful at particular scenarios. Maximizing its upgrades and mastery will get you 1 shot 1 kill per head shot against Imps and Possessed Soldiers.

The stun bomb saved my ass in a battle where there were multiple revs after me. It was really satisfying to have them subdued for a few seconds while I took them out with heavy weaponry.

PseudoGold said:

Though I can't actually play the game so I may also be talking out of my arse.

Use the HAR scope to snipe posessed soldiers and imps from far away.

Wild Dog said:

Is just pointless to argue which mod is better, all of them are great, depending on how you play, you may like one mod over another mod.

i wasn't "arguing", i was posting how i felt the weapon mods in the game worked for me. some people might totally prefer the Heat Blast over the Stun Bombs, but i don't, and that's fine.

The combat shotgun with the charged shot mod is my go-to weapon for anything up to Hell Knight. I honestly think it's much better than the explosive shot.

Deatheye said:

- but the stun bomb is essential in nightmare/ultra nightmare - you never want to come close to enemies so in the highest difficulty the heat wave is kinda useless and the stun bomb a life saver

A fully charged and upgraded heat blast can 'stun' most enemies (think pain chances like in classic doom)

It is also perfect for dealing with security as a fully charged heat blast can insta kill most enemies under the tier of hell knight

I've found myself using the combat shotgun late game over the SSG even, for whatever reason. The burst fire mode is, eh, not used much.

Late game the most useful upgrades are:
1 Fully upgraded super shotgun
2 SSG with fully upgraded tiny missles
3 Gauss cannon (both precision and siege mode , but siege getting more effective at mid-end game)
4 Plasma rife, only stun bomb is favorable - espcially with Pinky and Summoner
5 Rocket launcher with lock on, combine with plasma-stun to kill Summoner quickly

one really cool thing about the new doom I'v seen is that not everyone agrees on whats best, and thats such a beautiful thing. charge has good uses, mostly single large tagers, but I perfer explosive, I like missles for hr, lots of damage very fast, and you can rocket hop with them.the scope is really good as well though.
plasmas stun as I'v said multible times is crazy, you can just tell any demon to "hold that thought". I should play with the heat bomb more though. rocket launchers kinda in the same boat with combat shotty. chaingun's turret is my preference to piss as much dps as possable. gause's seige mode is just flat out superior. I'm tired and just got off of work, thats all I can remember right now.

I think the two most powerful mods are the Gauss Cannon with Siege and Rocket Launcher with Remote Detonation.

Once fully upgraded, Remote Detonation is amazing. It deals more damage than a regular rocket and the explosion radius is HUGE.
The lock-on targeting may seem better at first, but don't forget we're talking about 3 weaker rockets with much smaller radius. It takes more time to shoot AND it's weaker, I feel it's completely useless especially considering that an upgraded Remote Detonation will have a radius so high, even if your aiming isn't perfect you'll hit something anyway (so lock-on targeting isn't that big of a deal).

A fully charged shot with the Siege Mode of the Gauss Canon is the most powerful regular weapon in the game (outside of BFG of course). On the highest difficulties you can take down a Baron in no time with a normal shot followed by a charged one, even if you're not aiming for the head; and it can take down most other enemies in one hit (I think only Mancubus require several hits).

In 3rd Position comes the Stun Charge of the Plasma Rifle. It's a life saver and in tough situations, can give you the time you need to perfectly aim (your charged Gauss Canon shot, for instance).

Honestly on my Ultra-Nightmare run, past some point, all I used were those three, with an occasional explosive shot of the shotgun.

I barely used the burst charge of the shotgun, however it's not as useless as everyone makes it out to be because it can stun enemies, and therefore make Hell Knights and Pinkies stop during their charge stance. It can be an alternative to the Plasma Stun in some situations, and it deals damage, too.

SSG I barely used at all in my 40+ hours of play. I feel it's a waste of time, by the time you get it, it's weak, and by the time you upgrade it, it feels completely useless, and it's dangerous to use since you need to be at close range, and in this game, I usually want to circle-run in the direction opposite to enemies rather than in their direction.

Siege Mode is definitely powerful. perhaps a bit too powerful, as it can kill pretty much everything in a single hit, excluding the mancs and baron like you said, and even then, it's still a mortal blow to them. definitely one of the masteries you want to pick up, as even if it just makes you mobile, being able to jump in Siege Mode is incredibly useful.

i don't really agree with remote detonation, though. i found it too hard to get a mastery out of on a single playthrough, and the mastery itself is kind of lame. okay, so the rocket doesn't get destroyed in the process, but you're still going to aim out of your way to hit them with the remote detonation anyway, making the main load fly off-target anyway. at least, that's what it was to me. whereas lock-on is much simpler to master, and it isn't too bad on heavy targets. they're not bad mods on their own though, but i still think it could've had a master that made more sense.

as for the SSG, maybe it's a bad idea to use on UMN, but i found it to be pretty good still. firing it twice deals a lot of damage, and usually stuns the enemy for a second serving. at the very least, it outperforms the shotgun in every way once you get it mastered.

GoatLord said:

What's the dif between the frag and siphon grenades? And does anyone use the hologram?

It's sad cause the hologram actually works extremely well in MP and not so much in SP.

Seriously, try it in MP it's hilarious. Works 90 percent of the time if you lure people right. Mind games ftw.

Someone is shooting you, backpedal around a corner and just as you dissappear from their line of site throw out the hologram, they're going to shoot at the hologram, guaranteed.

Holograms in MP will run forward while shooting. It's not until it hits a wall that it's obvious.

GoatLord said:

What's the dif between the frag and siphon grenades?

Well, the frag is a frag - it hurts/kills people and demons nearby.
Siphon Grenade drains health from affected targets, restoring some of your own. I also read that in addition, if you have appropiate Rune (one of the Equipment category) it will restore armour at the same time.

yes. if you upgrade Equipment Power, the Siphon Grenade will give you armor when your health is full. this can of course be paired up with the Rich Get Richer rune to have potentially infinite ammo at all times. also, the Holograms will fool every monster, i believe, except for the Lost Souls it seems. if you circle-strafe around a room a lot, it can be quite useful to relieve the pressure from some enemies. i don't know what the Equipment Rune does to that though.

TheWizard said:

It's sad cause the hologram actually works extremely well in MP and not so much in SP.

Seriously, try it in MP it's hilarious. Works 90 percent of the time if you lure people right. Mind games ftw.

Someone is shooting you, backpedal around a corner and just as you dissappear from their line of site throw out the hologram, they're going to shoot at the hologram, guaranteed.

Holograms in MP will run forward while shooting. It's not until it hits a wall that it's obvious.

So true... I fell for it a few times, in the rush of the fight it's easy bite the bait.

Yup I feel into the same ruse several times. Sometimes the Hologram sits still shooting repetitively. So far I haven't found any players using it as a combat tactic in which there seems to have great potential for, rather they use it as an escape goat.

I love the teleportation device for so many reasons. It gives me an advantage in particular fights, gets me in tactical positions early game, it increases my chance to get the Demon Rune etc etc.

Otherwise the Hologram would be my prime choice.

Viscra Maelstrom said:

whereas lock-on is much simpler to master, and it isn't too bad on heavy targets. they're not bad mods on their own though, but i still think it could've had a master that made more sense.

I feel that the only good thing about the lock-on is the possible exploit. If you release the lock-on just as it's complete and shoot, with the right timing, you'll be firing 3 normal rockets.

It's a glitch though , so I don't think it really counts, but once you get the hang of it it can be really useful.

GoatLord said:

Honestly, I kept forgetting to even use the grenade items, even though there's three of them.

I think most of the weapon mods are neat and serve a purpose, but yeah, the grenade items had little to no use during my playthroughs.