Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Group effort to find 'lost' assets to be considered for commission

I propose that anyone interested should deeply search this subforum and find 'lost' assets that are better than what is already in, but have not been committed, posting your findings in this thread as links. I'll start searching myself.

I have a backup of the ftp folder that we used to use for freedoom submissions (free.doomers.org) I was thinking of sticking up at a web address for people to pick over. Does that sound useful?

That could be useful, sure.

I will admit that I have not actually searched yet, been feeling like crap this week. I must force myself to do it.

now that you bring up urric's archvile i contacted him a few months ago. he said it was ok if we continued it, but wanted to work on it some more first. i havent been able to contact him since tho and i'm not sure if he's not replying or if it's a problem with my email (i've had problems like that before)

Voros said:

A while ago I browsed through a lot of the submission threads here, and almost forgot about this one! Admittedly the art style is different from the rest but it's a cool sprite.

Voros said:

Yes, a very nice shotgun, but the current one is already good.

Voros said:

What happened to this one?
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/173762

It was in the game from some very early builds up to v0.10, got replaced by Eriance's BFG.

Voros said:

Voros said:

Sadly none of these have been completed. There's also Eriance's Corruptor (Orb monster replacement) which at least has one rotation done and preserved by the Wayback Machine.

A while ago I proposed a centralised initiative to archive all assets that were submitted but not included with the project, which was apparently liked by other members but sort of didn't pick up.

That's a lot of files in there.
But if these are old assets, doesn't that it mean they were replaced because something better came up for it?

Jon, I get a 403-Forbidden code. What happened?

Voros said:

That's a lot of files in there.
But if these are old assets, doesn't that it mean they were replaced because something better came up for it?

These are submissions, so some may have been merged into freedoom and others might not.

Voros said:

Jon, I get a 403-Forbidden code. What happened?

Sorry, I had the permissions on the files wrong. I've fixed it now.

MrFlibble said:

BTW, Sodaholic what assets exactly are you after? Sprites, flats, music, sounds, levels?

Anything and everything that could suitably replace assets as long as it's an improvement.

A while ago I did some extensive browsing of old threads, just out of curiosity. I don't remember anything in particular there that would be definitely better than what the project already has. There are some nice variations of old pickups (from the time when the red cross was changed to blue), some incomplete monsters already mentioned here, and stuff like robotdog1's hybrid SKAG (shown here). Other assets like a cool-but-weird shotgun have been mentioned here already. One thing though, I did not check sound submissions, if there were any.

All of these rejected submissions deserve to be properly archived, of course, and I hope that the project maintainers will do that.

On a related note, I will repeat that I'm highly concerned with the fact that the attic seems to have stopped updating somewhere in late 2015 (can't verify if anything's changed since the last time I checked, I can't access GitHub right now for whatever reason).

The hud or the weapon?

Because that's Boom's hud if I'm not mistaken.

@MrFlibble do note those wads for the new skag and etc are broken and no longer exist. I do believe I possess backups of the wads if you'd like for me to search if I still have them.

Voros said:

Does anyone know if this a mod or one of the assets used for Freedoom?
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Freedoom_aaa.png

That's fredrik's old non-centred shotgun, which was used for a while (the screenshots is probably from or around v0.5). The sprites are still in the attic:
https://github.com/freedoom/attic/tree/master/fredrik/all_green_shotgun

SuperSomariDX said:

@MrFlibble do note those wads for the new skag and etc are broken and no longer exist. I do believe I possess backups of the wads if you'd like for me to search if I still have them.

I know the WADs are gone but the images themselves have been preserved by the Wayback Machine at least. Most of the stuff from that post I linked to ended up in the project anyway (with the obvious exception of the SKAG), I think from v0.10.

We really ought to avoid using anything by Maz that isn't already in the project or the attic, for various reasons. One reason being that he might not grant credit and we shouldn't assume that he hasn't retracted permission since being banned.

Not to mention that recolor makes no real improvement on those crappy Baron/Knight sprites. In fact, I'd argue the green makes it look even worse.