Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xane_MM

[WIP]Mary's Magical Adventure v1.8 - More Graphic Updates

Play the game first; What's your opinion on this game?  

49 members have voted

1. 2. Which levels do you like so far?

• 1-1: Isle Hell City
    • 1-2: Rooftop to Rooftop
    • Special Stage 1 (green)
    • Special Stage 2 (orange)
    • Special Stage 3 (blue)
    • Special Stage 4 (yellow)
    • 1-3: City Street Run
    • 1-4: The Command Master

@DMGUYDZ64: Eh, I put that there as the initial test or special stages. t can be replaced in later versions but I put it in also as a reference to how I did this in another Doom mod years ago.

Still, the way Special Stages work in terms of behavior is similar to SRB2 but that, unlike this level, won't be changed. I wouldn't think this'd matt rmuch since SRB2 has since changed its special stages entirely.

(Also, I encourage everyone to download World of Kirbycraft then find things there and not just my videos. I don't want to make the single mistake it takes for the whole internet to turn against me and never forgive it, but I'm getting the feeling no one wants to give this a chance and everything people have said stuff about is in the pictures and/or video so they haven't downloaded the game to play it themselves.

I know it's different since I'm referring to the ZDoom Forums here but when Jimmy was making Square there, everyone was so positive...I'm not an artist so my art won't be consistent.)

If people would of actually took the time to read the forums they would know hou stated that you took that special stage from the sonic game..and if they would take the time to play it and be open minded then they would see its a pretty good game so far co aidering ita incomplete!!
And I have noticed something about the ones that are on here saying only negative things and putting people down..Havent seen one thing they have done!! And i bet the ones that are being mean couldnt make a game if their lives depended on it..just saying..keep up the good work XMan!!Your better at game development and better of a person than any of the losers that are trying to bring you down.Shows what kind of people they are..

Well, one of my videos stated the special stage came from Sonic Robo Blast 2 though it's very random that that "problem" in particular was pointed out when only that video shows it here...it really seems like he looked for something to find a problem with instead of experiencing World of Kirbycraft.

Also, thanks, @Dynamiteswan.

r_init: getpostnumberforname: post not found!

Edited by Justince

Dynamiteswan said:

great job

Is this your grandma? Your dad? Are you going to invite your whole family tree to doomworld just so you'll have enough positive feedback?

Dynamiteswan said:

great job

hdswan73@yahoo.com said:

Looking good! Keep up the good work!

This is just sad.

@Xane123: Please tell your friends (or family members, or yourself, or whoever is doing this) that it's not okay to register sockpuppet accounts to praise your own work.

@BamBamBrandi: Shielding your son from the outside world and calling people losers for criticizing him isn't going to ever allow him to learn or grow. You can't baby your kids forever, and you can't expect the rest of the world to do so for you.

This is just the weirdest thread. I feel like I'm over at some dysfunctional family's house for Christmas dinner.

What is even going on in this thread? From what I understand, OP posted the mod and then somehow his mom is here just so tell OP "Good job!" and defend him and all of that stuff and then either OP made sockpuppet accounts, his mom made sockpuppet accounts or he told some of his friend to sign up just to say "Great jod, mate!"?

Im really, really confused.

Gonna create a break in the sea of weirdness and give some actual critique here.

Combat is awkward because the enemy sprites don't have the kind of movements that indicate what they are up to. Like there should be an idle sprite, a walking sprite, and an attacking sprite (and preferably a sprite showing that they take damage and are temporarily stunned) and ofcourse, having them for more than one direction helps but that goes without saying.
I know you use sprite rips, but if you do that, atleast find ones with all the right frames or modify the ones you got.

The mishmash of graphic styles is a bit distracting, infact, I would recomend going with whatever style you can have completely for everything, even if it's technically the ugliest style of them all. Atleast for enemies and your weapons, backgrounds can be their own thing.

I like that it's colorful, too few doom mods are.
The platforming looks like it might be fun if developed further.

Any game that has crying as an attack and/or propulsion system gets a thumb up from me, just make it so the hands don't cover the entire screen in the intro to that "attack".

*stares at this thread*

I havent watched any of the videos yet, so i wont say a thing.
But know this, you are getting NO for good reasons, and should try to see the reasons.

I think you should stop development for now, and give us a Doom map to see your skill. It'll at least tell us how good you are. Then continue development on this WoK.

PS-maybe one of the reasons is that it has nothing to do with Kirby. Get a better name.

Doomworld always produces the most interesting cringe to say the least. As for constructive criticism, I would suggest starting smaller and getting a better grasp on the fundamentals of level design before attempting something this um... ambitious, yeah let's go with that word.

Thanks, both BoJustBo and Voros.

BoJustBo said:

Combat is awkward because the enemy sprites don't have the kind of movements that indicate what they are up to.

Ah, I unerstand wwhat you mean; The cops havethis sort of thing to an extent but the tigers don't, reusing the same four frames for everything! I probably should fix this. Also, yeah, I agree. I thin I keep getting sprites from platforming games or something because they only face one direction but I'm not an artist so new frames would look ugly if done by me.

BoJustBo said:

The mishmash of graphic styles is a bit distracting[...]

Getting sprites from multiple games that don't have similar styles will cause this. I try to have the realistic things not appear, but those trees in the forest area are from ZDoom Forums (Reactor?) and look too realistic. I could find ones that blend in more.

BoJustBo said:

I like that it's colorful, too few doom mods are.
The platforming looks like it might be fun if developed further.

Thanks. I'd be worried people here'd expect Doomish stuff like darker graphics an not this, including the first person platforming, which may improve...but I like haring someone here's fine with parts of World of Kirbycraft.

BoJustBo said:

Any game that has crying as an attack and/or propulsion system gets a thumb up from me, just make it so the hands don't cover the entire screen in the intro to that "attack".

Actually, the crying isn't an attack but occurs when the player gets hurt too much as Mary. It's sort of a punishment ad fits her personality of a crybaby.

The hands covering the eyes happens when she's crying quieter. It's designed to getinthe way but maybe something can be done that'd allow the player to make mary move her hands away from her eyes but maybe at the cost of slightly longer crying duration? I'll decide when I fix the crying.

Voros said:

I think you should stop development for now, and give us a Doom map to see your skill.

You mean a short WAD with a couple of levelsto demostrate my level design?

Voros said:

[...]it has nothing to do with Kirby. Get a better name.

It's named World of Kirbycraft to contiue the movie series I made years ago (I was younge so recording Kirby Air Ride with "Warcraft characters" as Kribies sounded like a good idea then), but now it seems silly; Anyone not related to me won't understand the movie series and the strange name and very few Kirby references (Hell City being City Trial from Kirby Air Ride, Arthas being a Kirby, and his ability to puff up)..

I should come up with a different name so it really doesn't seem attached to a strange series and has a better name than "World of Kirbycraft"...and that obviously edited WoW logo...but I'm bad at naming things.

@Tarnsman: Maybe, but I actually have been making ZDoom mods for...years...okay, not that, but I have experience with ACS, DECORATE, and...some level design, though this is the first time my level design plans to be less linear...I should keep it smaller than "many worlds" I want to have in WoK but I believe I've always had this wish to make a big ZDoom mod, only to lose the mod before I finish it.

Okay, so I have no idea of this thread is legitimate or some elaborate prank, but I did play the game. First things first, the base mechanics are a bit broken. Jumping into walls with the kirby guy teleports me around for some reason. With the Mary character, running into walls while running on water will do the same. Next, the level design is awful. Every map feels like a test map and the objectives aren't really clear to me. Why do I want to get "wanted?" etc. Next, the style is inconsistent. Most sprites just don't match or look well with others. There's loads of other problems but I feel this may be just a troll thread.

@Lo_Mein: Nah, this isn't trolling or some big prank; This is an early alpha! I see people make theads about projects they've barely started so I figured I could do the same here.

It's good you actually played the game to experience the strangeness; Ah, that's sticking to the wall; It turns you around 180 degrees to face you away from the wall.
The second part about Mary doing it after running on the water? I forgot about that but I could fix that.

The level design as of v1.4-alpha is....iffy. It has had some changes and more are planned. The levels as of now are incomplete and have no objectives and stuf's purely there to be tested, but only one is a "test level", MAP0. Becoming "wanted" is optional though the final will have a potential secret that will require you to get arrested. Use "youwonttakemealive" during gameplay to instantly gain two stars like GTA Vice City...yes, these references everywhere in WoK don't help its strangeness.

Also, yeah, the art of the enemies and objects like trees clashes at the moment. I may try to make the enemies to go too far from cartoony but the trees...they're too clashing so they may be replaced by the final.

Xane123 said:

It's good you actually played the game to experience the strangeness.

Yeah, it's definitely an odd one.

Great work there pumpkin. ;) Looking thick, solid, tight. (: Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got baby. XOXO ~_^

Tritnew said:

This has to be the cringiest thread on Doomworld. Ever.

I agree with this....

rileymartin said:

Great work there pumpkin. ;) Looking thick, solid, tight. (: Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got baby. XOXO ~_^

Funny, cruel, inevitable..........

i wanted to post something but honestly its hard to give a critic to something that isnt even finished neither the maps.

anyway:
the color palette well its pleaseant for the eyes not gotta lie on that, but i guess its the only thing i could say its related to kirby as those games have some kind of "soft colors"

levels:
most of the video it just how you barely do something to the map, its kinda like when i open one day my maps and i feel like meh to do mapping for that day and i just play with some textures and then close the editor and save it and calling a day for mapping. however the thing its you have something barely made. there few screens that i liked, for example that kind of canyon with 3d bridge or the not so finished forest (and i wouldnt use tree things to make the forest because a lot of them would make your map have some FPS issues i remember a wad that was made like a forest and mushroom and have lot of tree things which sometimes made my FPS go down, btw anyone know the name of the map im talking about? i think was groove or something like that).

but other than that there isnt nothing interesting on them.

Characters:
about arthas im not going to talk because well its a kirby like character so pretty much there isnt nothing else to say, well probably he need some changes to have it own "personality" because so far it just a yellow kirby.

Maria in other hand... i find her annoying and i honestly have hard time finding why, problably because its the most generic picture drawing of a little child girl. i mean its so simple its something you would expect from a kid do a drawing for how he imagine a girl, i think its the lack of character that maria miss that make me find her annoying. and going to be honest with you. added the "voice acting" you did to maria dont help that at all. im trying to think a good example of female characters (kid looking of course) that dont take the role of "classic girl kid appareance (like the one you did to maria) but its hard to me find female girls in videogame to tell you a example, but i would say just take a look to splatoon female character they dont look like that at all and it just a kid (i guess?)

i know you are not sprite artist (neither i do) but i feel overall maria need a new design one that its a bit more "updated" than the generic appeareance.

Gameplay:
hard to say if it a gameplay at all, reading the wiki its says its a racing gameplay, in your video i see some "star" system after defeating an enemy the star system will add more stars of "danger" like GTA cop system. but i guess there would be 2 modes maybe? main campain and racing mode? i dont know, but what i see the "trailers" didnt make me feel interested enough to download and give a try (and neither if such demo contain that maria voice acting you did, im sorry im honest with you but i dont like it).

Overall? hard to give a veredict to your game because it dont have nothing more than the barely graphics it have, probably you need to add more and rework some sprites before make it interesting.

You should've waited until you had a more polished version of your mod before releasing it, OP. And not gotten your family/friends (especially your mother) posting here and defending you because it only made things worse.

Z0k said:

i wanted to post something but honestly its hard to give a critic to something that isnt even finished neither the maps.

Yeah, I probably should've finished some of the maps beore releasing it; I think those successful threads I've see must aleady have a complete map to show off than incomplete Hell City and other levels.

Z0k said:

the color palette well its pleaseant for the eyes not gotta lie on that, but i guess its the only thing i could say its related to kirby as those games have some kind of "soft colors"

Thanks...I figured I'd make a new palette as palettes like Doom's will requre you to move colors around or really modify images to it them to the palette, which is more important since this is only for the software renderer now.

Z0k said:

most of the video it just how you barely do something to the map[...]

Are you reerring to the World o Kirbycraft development videos on my channel? Yeah, I coul speed them up but I only have VSDC Free Video Editor and Adobe Premiere Pro but the latter gave me bluescreens before so I wasn't giving that a chance...but now I've switched. It still doesn't change how long I take to do something.

Z0k said:

[...]however the thing its you have something barely made. there few screens that i liked, for example that kind of canyon with 3d bridge

This area? It is a detailed area when compared to some of the other incomplete levels.

Z0k said:

or the not so finished forest (and i wouldnt use tree things to make the forest because a lot of them would make your map have some FPS issues i remember a wad that was made like a forest and mushroom and have lot of tree things which sometimes made my FPS go down

Oh, trust me, I've seen how bad the framerate gets when in that forest...I'll have to do something but trees can't be made any other way when vertex-based slopes are involved and reducing the tree count too much will make it as barren as the original forest in Kirby Air Ride.

Z0k said:

but other than that there isnt nothing interesting on them.

Hopefuflly I can improve the level design by the final to make areas interesting.

Z0k said:

about arthas im not going to talk because well its a kirby like character so pretty much there isnt nothing else to say, well probably he need some changes to have it own "personality" because so far it just a yellow kirby.

Once levels are finished, the "story" will be developed with cutscenes (that I plan to be allowed to be turned off by the user); Then Arthas should have...more character.

Z0k said:

Maria in other hand... i find her annoying and i honestly have hard time finding why, problably because its the most generic picture drawing of a little child girl. (and other parts of this paragraph)

I think one day I just decided people usually drew girls cute so I wanted to do it myself, resulting in Mary. She does look...normal. Due to the amount of work that's needed to render the sprites (both front and back) and implement them into Mary's DECORATE, I don't think a redesign may happen here...but if I'mup for the work that'd be required to improve her design, that could happen in some sequel but World of Kirbycraft itself is a lot of work to make.

Z0k said:

and going to be honest with you. added the "voice acting" you did to maria dont help that at all.

Yeah, as a man, my voice going high-pitched doesn't mae a good little girl's voice and she can sound pretty bad sometimes. There may be plans to have an altenative voice and the snd_style CVAR, the latter would replace sounds with "8-bit" ones and prevent Arthas/Mary from talking.

Z0k said:

hard to say if it a gameplay at all, reading the wiki its says its a racing gameplay

Race Mode is an extra mode that was programmed entirely through ACS scripting. It isn't a normal thing you'll see outside of the "mode".

Z0k said:

in your video i see some "star" system after defeating an enemy the star system will add more stars of "danger" like GTA cop system.

Yep, that's what it is; Killing enemies won't increase it, but cops will. Those blue things in the video are the cops.

Z0k said:

[...]but i guess there would be 2 modes maybe? main campain and racing mode?

Those and deathmatch/co-op, the latter skipping every cutscene.

Z0k said:

i dont know, but what i see the "trailers" didnt make me feel interested enough to download and give a try (and neither if such demo contain that maria voice acting you did, im sorry im honest with you but i dont like it).

Yeah, I'll admit myself that trailer wasn't that good due to VSDC Free Vieo Editor's lack of trimming video (which Premiere has)...plus, maybe more...exciting music.

Also, yeah, Mary's voice in-game is my voice. There's leftovers o an alternative voice in there if you look through wok_extra_lag.pk3 \ Sounds \ Voices \ Mary; Some don't sound like me there like MARYCGEM or whatever it's named.

Z0k said:

Overall? hard to give a veredict to your game because it dont have nothing more than the barely graphics it have, probably you need to add more and rework some sprites before make it interesting.

That seems to be the general opinion and I do see that...as @MrSkeltal also says, I should've had more levels, enemies, and overall cotent added...and polished.

And yeah, thoe events earlier in this thread were strange.