Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello there, I have finished another short level for TNT, this time it takes place on the MAP16 slot (Requires a Boom compatible engine).

The map, as the thread title suggests, is named Water Works (unoriginal, but I can't think of much else right now). It is a fairly short map with a rather tough start, I wanted to give the player a choice of going without the SSG, having less enemies to deal with but have a tougher time all round or to go with the SSG and have more enemies to deal with but have the almighty shotgun at your disposal. I personally think I didn't pull this off too well.

I'm a little rusty at mapping and this probably going to be quite terrible honestly, all kinds of feedback is very much appreciated and will help me make this a much better experience.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/09ftpp20byykyad/WaterW.wad

Shitty screens:

As you could probably guess, it is another attempt at a pseudo 90's map.

Looks cool, downloaded!

Also is this from that old abandoned TNT community project you hold some year ago?

Because i think to already heard this title somewhere...

walter confalonieri said:

Looks cool, downloaded!

Also is this from that old abandoned TNT community project you hold some year ago?

Because i think to already heard this title somewhere...

Thanks

A lot of my recent maps are from that, this one was indeed one of my maps.

Looks cool; love the TNT iWad use (as weird as that might be). Don't know when I'll actually get to it, but I'll put this on my play list.

I remember playing you other maps for TNT, I dare to say that this one is better for what I recall. I think that it could have some more rockets for the blue key fight and the barons and the hell knights that teleport in the room nearby felt unnecessary as they are, they aren't really threatening and it's better to skip them and save some ammo.

Here is a demo of my playthrough. No exit because apparently at the end there is a Boom action, but I was playing with vanilla compatibility so I couldn't press it.

I liked it, I think it has a lot of character. Also, the SSG secret looked like a death trap to me and I've seen death traps in some of your other maps before, so I chose to avoid it lol.

Minor problems:
- linedef 1705 doesn't really need the "lower unpegged" flag
- http://i.imgur.com/Wzw64Jf.png - a floating item (check the one on the opposite side too)
- bad use of the "deaf" flag in the red key room (some revenants can't notice you if you stay on the blue carpet, the imps probably don't need it either?)

Quite enjoyable.

The only possible issues I noticed were that lines 587/589 used different textures and were not lower unpegged and that the floors of sectors 25/29 used a different floor flat to sector 30.

hawkwind said:

Quite enjoyable.

The only possible issues I noticed were that lines 587/589 used different textures and were not lower unpegged and that the floors of sectors 25/29 used a different floor flat to sector 30.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those now.

This is awful, ammo is unbalanced, too much pistoling demons and imps, not enough health, I can't even run safely past the monsters because most of the map is set inside tight corridors, so running past monsters can kick you over.
Lots of useless doors, one corridor had two doors right infront of each other for no reason, if you wanted it to make a quick reveal then you should've used 'open stay' doors, at this point dodging monsters is even more painful.
I tried to pass this map 3 times and took 3 different ways, the first two look impossible; one led you to a switch that revealed a slaughterhouse of mid-tier enemies and an arch-vile if you try to run away, all I had was a box of shells, a pump-shotgun and barely any HP, so I obviously died.

The other one took you to a crampy SSG area with loads of mid-tier enemies circling around you, I died again because it's too crampy and you can't run away alive.

The final one which is when I finally beat the map, had a lot of needed shells, barely any enemies and an easy to find yet useful secret that granted you a soulsphere and a rocket launcher which made the map more passible.

So yup, I hate it when a non-linear map mostly offers you impossible ways to go through.

Spoiler

It seems wierd how you hide a mandatory keycard the same way you hide a regular secret.

joe-ilya said:

This is awful, ammo is unbalanced, too much pistoling demons and imps, not enough health, I can't even run safely past the monsters because most of the map is set inside tight corridors, so running past monsters can kick you over.
Lots of useless doors, one corridor had two doors right infront of each other for no reason, if you wanted it to make a quick reveal then you should've used 'open stay' doors, at this point dodging monsters is even more painful.
I tried to pass this map 3 times and took 3 different ways, the first two look impossible; one led you to a switch that revealed a slaughterhouse of mid-tier enemies and an arch-vile if you try to run away, all I had was a box of shells, a pump-shotgun and barely any HP, so I obviously died.

Well, I didn't really design it with running past everything in mind.

However, perhaps I should have loosened the corridor up a bit and carved a few corners up to make room for more supplies.

However, during testing it myself, I found myself with too much ammo. I honestly don't understand how you even achieved to run out of ammo and it would much easier to understand how if you supplied me a demo.

The other one took you to a crampy SSG area with loads of mid-tier enemies circling around you, I died again because it's too crampy and you can't run away alive.

I didn't design this with running past the enemies in mind... Perhaps I wasn't clear enough with my intentions when I made this map and should have added the "search the area for ammo" and "clear the area" lines I usually put in the description, after all I wanted to have it where just running in would reliably kill you.

The final one which is when I finally beat the map, had a lot of needed shells, barely any enemies and an easy to find yet useful secret that granted you a soulsphere and a rocket launcher which made the map more passible.

So yup, I hate it when a non-linear map mostly offers you impossible ways to go through.

The map isn't non-linear, the other areas are just extra. Should I hve made this more clear?

Spoiler

It seems wierd how you hide a mandatory keycard the same way you hide a regular secret.

Spoiler

Oh, I thought it was really obvious with the button overlooking the door that opened and enemies pouting out of it and exit signs marking it. Should I have made it more obvious with a giant blue arrow or blue markers all over it?

mrthejoshmon said:

However, during testing it myself, I found myself with too much ammo. I honestly don't understand how you even achieved to run out of ammo and it would much easier to understand how if you supplied me a demo.

Spoiler

Oh, I thought it was really obvious with the button overlooking the door that opened and enemies pouting out of it and exit signs marking it. Should I have made it more obvious with a giant blue arrow or blue markers all over it?

I didn't run past anything and still died (unless I was out of ammo), here's a couple demos demonstrating how carefully I play and still get ambushed to death : https://www.mediafire.com/?7jsqd4jln3yvb84

Spoiler

The key was obvious enough to find fairly, but the way to get into the soulsphere with rockets secret got me thinking about it.

I beat this map with plenty of ammo and did not have a hard time at all. So I have no idea what Ilya is bitching about. Also the red key card really was not that difficult to find.