Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheArcadeStriker

(UPDATE V2) The Complex Of Doom [Single Map WAD for Doom 2]

Hello everybody! This is the second map I ever have made in Doom (The first one I done can be downloaded in the video of this WAD) and I hope you like it. If there are glitches, don't be afraid to tell me.

This WAD is for use in Doom 2, and includes shareware Doom 1 WAD inside the PK3 due to using some textures from Doom 1 (I noticed I used up Doom 1 textures by accident in Doom Builder some time later I finished the map). It's a UDMF WAD and uses ACS scripting, so it may require ZDoom/Skulltag/Zandronum.

UPDATE: Version 2 is here, and the differences are that:
-Some rooms/walls are glitch-removed.
-Modified Cyberdemon boss fight room.
-Added a 4th secret and Secret Exit.
-Hidden wall > 4th secret > (Find what goes here yourself) > Secret Exit
-Added another text file.

Download link for the map:
V1:https://mega.nz/#!LtxHlB5J!c3LMQhCb4vOL0APyXrFLYwNoALC_95hJGHZqYdHICpg
V2:https://mega.nz/#!OgQUBYDS!tn83N-6gppat-kxVxF4kc9zUEHr88CyoQoomhbz817o

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9U4Kb7-fPQ

If you want to know the music used in the WAD, you can check the video description. Also, I may release later two maps soon (One is a Deathmatch map, and another is like a kind of my take at E1M1, and that means it's for Doom 1, with some inspiration from the original).

Okay, I can clearly see some good ideas here. The room with the plasma gun and the yellow key? Just great. The outside area with a slime pit around it was a good fight, and the green pillars made for some interesting cover from attacks.
The songs are damn good choices. A bit overused, but if they're overused it's because they're good.
You really got a 90s visual style thing going there, and that's refreshing compared to the usual extremely-detailed maps we get now.

There's a few things that bother me a lot though.
- Go through every single door and set lower-unpegged on the sides, otherwise the texture rises along with the door. Looks really ugly and is a classical rookie mistake.
- Speaking of classical rookie mistakes, those really thick doors are pretty ugly as well. Try to make them 8 or 16 units thick instead.
- Final rookie mistake: Those hell barons are just boring. You just strafe and shoot until they die. You shouldn't add a hell baron to any fight with less than 50 monsters. Replace them with hell knights, please.
- That last room, with the cyberdemon. It's flat, and it has a single texture on it all. If I had to guess, I'd imagine you got bored by then and decided to just do the minimum amount of effort possible. Do a nice ceiling for it, rising like a pyramid for example, with a skylight in the middle. Maybe add some pillars, some height differences on the ground.

Fix these and you're getting a solid 8/10 from me.

Thanks for the feedback. Things that I can say are:
-The 90s style seems to be from the fact that I'm not a uber-expert at making overdetailed maps (And that it was my 2nd map), but overdetailed doesn't seem really necessary for me, and still looked good for me.

-I done the lower unpegged thing for most doors, but I think I forgot to do that with ALL of them. Speaking of doors, the thing of thick doors was something that the DB made it snap like that. With now more experience with DB (Merge geometry disable would solve the problem I apparently had to make doors thin) and knowing that door sides need to be lower unpegged, I plan in fixing those things.

-Hell barons and Hell knights seemed like a kind of palette swap with seemingly not much differences. But I can admit they fell quickly. Gonna replace them with Hell Knights.

-The cyberdemon room was something of wanting to do a boss fight and didn't think much of a concept, only a battle with the Cyberdemon in a wide room (And that was mostly because of also trying that in my first WAD, but the room was smaller and no BFG). Don't know if height differences may be fitting (or good idea when you are) in a Cyberdemon fight, but maybe try it to see results (The room polishment is a sure yes).

EDIT: Complex of Doom V2 screenshot

The difference is that the baron has around 3 times more health than the knight.
Barons are basically a walking door, so use them to block areas or make the player waste ammunition.

And yes, play around with DB, and learn it well.

Your wad is unplayable.

In map01 player progression is dependent on player picking up a weapon. This is pretty bad for obvious reasons. You also have that can permanently close and blocking player progression for good (side def 233).

For one, yes, I know that most events work using stuff like grabbing weapons/ammo/etc (IDDQD can block key dependant actions, but again why cheat), but I already mentioned that it's my second map (And I don't know how to do those kind of events without making the player grab something, except for monster death events).

I didn't notice anything wrong with Sidedef 233, since it's just a wall, not a door or something needed for progression.

The problem with weapons that unlock certain areas is that the player has no reason to ever pick up guns. In fact picking up weapons and power ups is almost discouraged via "obvious trap" -design. In your map there is literally zero incentive to pick up the plasma gun or chainsaw. And if you don't pick them up you can't progress in the map.

Better idea would be to use walk over lines or sector actions
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:SectorAction

Well, I intended that as a battle you couldn't escape, with the door opening when you killed the Hell Knight, but I think I should change that. EDIT: NVM, just actually noticed that you meant that the door to enter wouldn't open again if you tried to open it from the outside another time. That will be fixed.

And I will see if I get to change most events with stuff to SectorAction (Ones like BFG triggers Cyberdemon won't be changed), and I will change the Chainsaw for a box of shells, with it not triggering anything anymore. This will basically be the version 2.5 (or Bugfix)...

I think I will also maybe get to later add another map to the wad and room changes to the existing map for V3 (If I make one, otherwise the new map will be in another wad).

Wait a minute. Is this meant to be played with Complex Doom or is the title merely a coincidence?