Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

What is Quake?

Before I start, the question is not talking about the games individually, but as one.

What is Quake? A mess of totally different stories, might be the correct answer. But maybe that IS Quake.

Quake is a series of different individuals, each on a different adventure, for a different purpose, in different worlds.

Quake is a hub of realities, taking us, the players, to another reality to experience a new adventure. There was the Ranger's story on the Slipgate fuck-up. Then Bitterman's story against the Strogg.Then the Vadrigar Gladiator story, and so on.

Think of it like this:

Vadrigar   
           /|\
            |
Slipgate<-Quake->Strogg              
I'm trying to see how Quake's "identity crisis" could be fixed, and this seems logical at best.

Of course there could be more realities we do not know yet (that's upto the developers)

I was disappointed when I found out that Quake doesn't have earthquakes as the central theme, and they don't even exist as a feature in the original release.

the fact they described quake as a mere person instead of a MAN is an early example of the toxic pandering that would koll gaming. they might as well have called their prototype "the fight for social justice"

The enemy's (Shub-Niggurath) codename is Quake. Quake and the Q symbol I feel is more suited to the original entry. Q2 and Q3 being spinoffs and Q4 the sequel to Q2.

Piper Maru said:

What is Quake
Shambler, don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more

I laughed for a good 5 minutes.

Quake, to me. Is a dark, atmospheric game that has a kickass soundtrack by NIN (one of my top favorite bands), and has a great single-player that's MILES better than DOOM II's.

Voros said:

What is Quake?

Wikipedia said:

Quake is a first-person shooter video game, developed by id Software and published by GT Interactive in 1996.

I hope that was helpful.

Also, i think that Quake and Quake II are connected. In some of the Quake I's levels you can find boxes with strogg insignia. That means stroggs have been to where Quake I takes place. Maybe there is a connection between Quake I monsters and Quake II stroggs? What if Quake I monsters are ancestors to stroggs? It's a mystery..

Quake games = true 3D action FPSs with gritty graphics for an artstyle and with alien abominations for enemies.

I'd rather Quake and Quake 2 be completely different. They probably used the strogg symbols and the like for Quake 2.

Violent shaking or trembling, generally caused by movements along faults as a result of compression in the Earth's crust.

I just had a eureka moment. I've played and finished every Quake except the first one. How did that happen? I have no idea.

Doomkid said:

Violent shaking or trembling, generally caused by movements along faults as a result of compression in the Earth's crust.

Uhm excuse me didn't you know plate techtonics are entirely fake and a lie propagated by Big Science to perpetuate false """"""theories""""""" like emvolution?

If you prefer singleplayer, start with Quake 1, if you prefer deathmatch, start with Quake 3. Both games have a free shareware version, I believe.

raymoohawk said:

the fact they described quake as a mere person instead of a MAN is an early example of the toxic pandering that would koll gaming. they might as well have called their prototype "the fight for social justice"

Happy 12th birthday!

Many Russians pronouce Quake as "kvak", which is the sound that frogs make.

I think in English Quake fans shoud be called quackers.

ChekaAgent said:

Also, i think that Quake and Quake II are connected. In some of the Quake I's levels you can find boxes with strogg insignia. That means stroggs have been to where Quake I takes place. Maybe there is a connection between Quake I monsters and Quake II stroggs? What if Quake I monsters are ancestors to stroggs? It's a mystery..

They were not "strogg insignia", it's the other way around: they re-used the asset. And it was an asset used for bases, so Quakeguy's and his zombified bros' insignia. While I feel like a patronozing asshole for pointing out this fact, let's make sure we are at the same page.

They just put a "II" on "Quake" because they couldn't register another name IIRC. They probably just revamped assets from Quake 1 and called it a day. Making nodes to the precursor when you finally decide to make it a "sequel" without anymore thought put into this is what Occam's razor is telling me.

If you are to find links everywhere, then Quake 3 says that classic Doom, Quake and Quake 2 are canon to each other (though the trans-dimensional nature of the Arena can make anything happen anyway) and that the doomguy went to the Arena after being captured at Phobos while being Knee-Deep in the Dead.

kuchitsu said:

Many Russians pronouce Quake as "kvak", which is the sound that frogs make.

I think in English Quake fans shoud be called quackers.

Kira said:

They were not "strogg insignia", it's the other way around: they re-used the asset. And it was an asset used for bases, so Quakeguy's and his zombified bros' insignia. While I feel like a patronozing asshole for pointing out this fact, let's make sure we are at the same page.

So as stroggos insigna are found in bases cleaned up by Quakeguy, does it mean that Quakeguy is stroggos?

I was about to answer seriously but that's a funny idea actually. What if stroggs were Ranger's faction who ended siding with Quake and became so zealous they started to rework their own bodies to become efficient weapons against mankind? Kind of like Chaos Space Marines in W40K.

After all, Quake III's user manual states that "Ranger" fought on so many worlds for so long that he became more alien than human. And stroggos architecture is techbase, yeah, but with very cathedral/temple-like structures.

Don't take this seriously of course, just having fun with theories.

I remember reading somewhere that Paul Steed originally wanted to call Quake 2 "WOR" or something to that effect, but they couldn't register the name in time.

Honestly, Quake never really had any kind of unity going for it. Even the original game was drastically changed from what they originally envisioned. It was originally going to be a Fantasy RPG until they caved last second and decided to make it another first person shooter since that's what they had experience with. I think the most potential Quake had as a serious story was that whole aspect with Quake 4 about your guy being painfully turned into a Strogg.