Doom 1 or 2?

Which one is your favorite?  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is your favorite?

• DOOM/The Ultimate DOOM
    • DOOM II: Hell on Earth

Da Werecat said:

I can sorta understand how this works.

Take La Gioconda, expand the canvas, add a badly drawn dick to it. Technically, nothing of value is lost, yet you're very likely to see a couple of people not entirely happy with the addition. Even if you cover it with something, it will still affect the integrity of the art piece in the eyes of those who know it's there.

Disclaimer: I don't think Thy Flesh Consumed amounts to a badly drawn dick. E2 and E3 are better candidates for this.

I see what you mean and it's a good point but it's different. Thy Flesh Consumed would be a badly drawn dick behind a door. You can't see the levels unless you play them so the addition of a door that leads to a badly drawn dick would be a better analogy. Unless of course you think that the title: "Thy Flesh Consumed" is the badly drawn dick... Then my argument is invalid

Plutonia really perfected what was good about the new content in Doom 2. TNT can go suck a lemon though.

Da Werecat said:

Disclaimer: I don't think Thy Flesh Consumed amounts to a badly drawn dick. E2 and E3 are better candidates for this.

At least E2 and E3 had some thought put into the difficulty progression instead of E4's "First two levels kick your ass and then it's all piss easy" mantra.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

I see what you mean and it's a good point but it's different.

Don't look for hard logic in the matters of self-expression. A game with 3 good episodes and 1 bad episode may be a better product than a game with 3 good episodes, but it's an inferior work of art.

Not another Doom or Doom 2 thread.

This

Hectic said:

It's hard for me to choose. Doom has the better level design, but Doom II has more resources. Tie.

Doom 1 is just better. More levels. And Doom's all about levels.
Edit: Doom 1 has a 9000 times better soundtrack. Doom 2 has only two or three good tracks (D_DEAD and D_SHAWN i think), while Doom 1 has an awesome track to every single level.

And what about the Betas? More story elements, more consistent design...

Maes said:

And what about the Betas? More story elements, more consistent design...

Possible Co-op...

Heretic

Seriously, though, Doom II. Who cares about the IWAD levels? Most of the best mods are for Doom II, so if you have to chose one, choose that one.

Doom I has better levels and music, while Doom II has better gameplay and is better to make custom levels with.

For me, it's pretty much a tie between the two. They both have their pros and cons.

Doom II has more to offer but Doom I has arguably better levels for the lesser amount it offers. You know what'd be the best of both worlds? Doom I levels modified with the Super Shotgun and Doom II enemies thrown in. Sort of like what the Ps1 version of Doom did to an extent. If nothing else, those first two fry your ass levels of Thy Flesh Consumed might be slightly more fair if Super Shotty was in it, just saying.

It's hard to even call Doom II much of a different game, more like an extension of the original Doom. So by default Doom 1 wins.

MusicallyInspired said:

I'd like to see the levels of Doom 1 reworked for Doom 2 with the extra enemies and whatnot. Best of both worlds.

PSX Doom did that.

Da Werecat said:

Don't look for hard logic in the matters of self-expression. A game with 3 good episodes and 1 bad episode may be a better product than a game with 3 good episodes, but it's an inferior work of art.

I didn't mean to say you were wrong I was kinda making a joke about poorly drawn dicks, but my joke was poorly executed

Piper Maru said:

Doom II feels more like an expansion pack.

I would consider Doom 2 to be an expansion pack if it only had 15 levels, a Green Cacodemon and a Hell Knight.
It gave a shit ton of content that far exceeds what simple expansion packs can give.

What about Age of Empires Rise of Rome? It had new units, new technologies, new civilization types as well as campaigns to go with them.

It's an important expansion pack that made Doom what it is today. When people are praising the game mechanics in Doom, they typicaly refer to the "complete" package.

Doom has good stock levels, while Doom2 has content. Personally, I prefer Doom because I don't feel like playing user wads much.

Yeah, I wouldn't have even called it Doom 2. But then, I don't know what I'd call it. It's not like it's merely just another episode, but I don't consider it to be different enough to warrant sequel status. I suppose Spear of Destiny isn't really sequel-worthy either. Then they went overboard with changes for Quake's sequel...

I like the SSG and additional monsters from Doom II. Some of the levels are good, but overall Doom 1 crushes it. Better music, episode system, themes are cooler and get progressively darker with boss fights ending each episode. An actual balanced use for the berserk fist that substitutes the SSG. More colorful and memorable texturing. Great map design. Romero E1...

Doom II makes for great modding tools though. Gotta love those new monsters!

RUSH said:

I like the SSG and additional monsters from Doom II. Some of the levels are good, but overall Doom 1 crushes it. Better music, episode system, themes are cooler and get progressively darker with boss fights ending each episode. An actual balanced use for the berserk fist that substitutes the SSG. More colorful and memorable texturing. Great map design. Romero E1...

Doom II makes for great modding tools though. Gotta love those new monsters!

You summed it up perfectly for me. Doom II is like an expansion pack, sure they added the SSG and new monsters, but the rest is forgettable. Nirvana? Come on.

For me;

Doom 1 has better level design but Doom 2 has more memorable levels.

Doom 2 has the SSG but Doom 1 has the better and more memorable music.

Doom 1 a nicer color scheme but Doom 2 has all the extra awesome Demons.

Doom 2 offers more action but Doom 1 has more entertaining Boss encounters.

It's a tough choice but I have to go with Doom 2.

Easily Doom II for me

More enemies, the addition of the SSG etc.

Doom had a more memorable soundtrack, but that's about it.

MusicallyInspired said:

Yeah, I wouldn't have even called it Doom 2. But then, I don't know what I'd call it. It's not like it's merely just another episode, but I don't consider it to be different enough to warrant sequel status.

They could've dumped the whole "2" and named it Doom: Hell on Earth. The same controversy happened with Left 4 Dead 2 which came out a year after the first one and was essentially an expansion pack and not a brand new game in the franchise. When I think of a sequel with a number attached to it, I image a new/significantly upgraded engine and all new assets alongside gameplay changes. Think Half-Life to Half-Life 2. These days with the annual AAA releases, they tend to use the same engine and a lot of the assets to not really feel like a full-fledged sequel as it used to be.

MusicallyInspired said:

Then they went overboard with changes for Quake's sequel...

That's because it never was a sequel. They only went with the Quake name because all of their preferred choices were already taken.